- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Emotional Intelligence, Nursing Work Environment on Nursing Work Performance in Clinical Nurses
임상간호사의 감성지능과 간호근무환경이 간호업무성과에 미치는 영향
- Park, So-Hee (Gunsan Medical Center) ;
- Park, Min-Jeong (Dept. of Nursing, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2018.01.23
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
This study aimed to identify the effect of emotional intelligence, nursing work environment on nursing performance in clinical nurses. Data were collected through a self-report questionnaire for 222 subjects and analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, and multiple regression with SPSS WIN 22.0 program. The results showed that nursing performance had significant correlations with emotional intelligence and nursing work environment. Also, the influencing factors on nursing performance were emotional intelligence, age, nursing satisfaction, nursing work environment, and nursing unit. These factors explained 50.0% of variance. Therefore, emotional intelligence, age, nursing satisfaction, nursing work environment, and nursing unit should be considered in developing and applying an nursing interventions program to improve the nursing performance among clinical nurses.
Supported by : Kunsan National University of Kunsan
- Bak, W. S. (2002). The relationship between leadership, empowerment, and nursing performance. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 8(2), 335-346.
- Oh, E. H. & Chung, B.Y. (2011), The Effect of Empowerment on Nursing Performance, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention in Hospital Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17(4), 391-401. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.391
- Yeun, Y. R. (2014). Job stress, burnout, nursing organizational culture and turnover intention among nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 15(8), 4981-4986. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4981 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4981
- Seomun, G. A., Chang, S. O., Cho, K. H., Kim, I. A., & Lee, S. J. (2006). The Relation between Self-leadership and Outcome of Nursing Practice. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 12(1), 151-158.
- Ko, Y. K., Lee, T. W., & Lim, J. Y. (2007). Development of a performance measurement scale for hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 37(3), 286-294. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.3.286
- Choi, J. H. (2010). Relationship between nurse's emotional intelligence, communication competency and organizational commitment. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Lee, H. S. & Kim J. K. (2010). Relationship among communication, competence, communication types, and organizational commitment in hospital nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 16(4), 488-496. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- Wong, C., & Law, K. (2002). The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: an exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly. 13(3), 243-274. DOI:110.1016/s1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/s1048-9843(02)00099-1
- Ahn, S. A., Yea, C. J., & Yeum, D. M. (2011). The impact of nurses's job demands, job resources, emotional labor and emotional intelligence on burnout. Social Science Research Review. 27(4), 25-43.
- Ashforth, B. E., & Humphrey, R. H. (1993). Emotional labor in service roles: The influence of identity. Academy of Management Review. 18(1), 88-115. DOI:110.2307/258824 https://doi.org/10.2307/258824
- Lee, J. Y., & Nam, H. R. Effects of work environment, organizational culture and demands at work on emotional labor in nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 22(2), 119-128. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.119 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.119
- Kang, K. N. (2012). Factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small-medium sized hospitals. Journal Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 18, 155-165. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155
- Oh, E. H. & Chung, B. Y. (2011). The effect of empowerment on nursing performance, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention in hospital nurses. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 17(4), 391-401. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.391
- Park, J. Y., & Choi, M. H. (2004). Study on empowerment level, job stress and nursing work performance. The Chung-Ang Journal of Nursing. 8(1), 83-99.
- Im, S. I., Park, J., & Kim, H. S. (2012). The effects of nurse's communication and self-leadership on nursing performance. The Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 21(3), 274-282. DOI:110.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- Song, H. S. (2012). A study on the empowerment and job satisfaction, job performance in hospital nurses, Unpublished master's thesis, Woosuk University, Jeollabuk-do.
- Lee, S. J. (2013). Emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship and nursing performance among clinicalnurse. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Noh, G. M. & Yoo, M. S. (2016). Effects of workplace spirituality and organizational citizenship behavior on nursing performance. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 22(3), 251-259. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.251 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.251
- Kwon, S. B., Park, M. J., Song H. M. & Moon, J. S. (2017). Effects of Job Embeddedness and Emotional Intelligence on Performance of Nurses in Medium and Small sized Hospital. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 11(1), 55-66. DOI:10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.1.055 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.1.055
- Lee, G. W., Park, K. S. & Kim, Y. H. (2014). The relationship between leadership, empowerment, and nursing performance. The Journal of the Korea Institute of Korean Medical Informatics. 20(1), 9-24.
- Lee, S. I. & Lee, E. J. (2016). Effect of Nursing Work Environment, Emotional Labor and Ego-Resilience on Nursing Performance of Clinical Nurses. Journal of Wellness. 11(4), 286-294.
- Yoon, Y. R. & Choi, S. B. (2012). The impacts of emotional intelligence, job satisfaction and self-efficacy on the organizational citizenship behavior-the case of nurse in university hospital-. Human Resources Management. 19(5), 73-93.
- Lake, E. T. (2002). Development of the practice environment scale of the nursing work index. Research in Nursing & Health. 25(3), 176-88. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032
- Cho, E. H., Choi, M. N, Kim, E. Y, Yoo, I. Y. & Lee, N. J. (2011). Construct validity and reliability of the Korean version of the practice environment scale of nursing work index for Korean nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 41(3), 325-332. DOI:110.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- Kwon, J. O. & Lim, S. Y. (2017). A convergence study about influences of coaching behavior level and emotional intelligence on organizational effectiveness of nurse. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 8(7), 63-73. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.7.063
- Ko, H. R. & Kim, J. H. (2014). The relationships among emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship, and job satisfaction of clinical nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 20(3), 413-423. DOI:110.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.413 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.3.413
- Jeon, K. D., & Koh, M. S. (2014). Comparative study of emotional intelligence, organizational citizenship behavior, organizational commitment and organizational performance of clinical nurses in Korea. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 20(4), 446-454. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.446 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.446
- Song, M. J. & Choi, S. Y. (2015). A convergence study about influences of emotional intelligence and job embeddedness on turnover intention in general hospital nurses. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 8(2), 83-89. DOI:110.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.083 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.083
- Lee, S. Y. & Suh, S. R. (2017). Effect of social support and self-efficacy in the relationship between nursing work environment and reality shock in new graduate nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 18(4), 317-324. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.317
- Shim, O. S. & Lee, H. J. (2017). A comparative study on the job satisfaction, nursing professionalism and nursing work environment of nurses in comprehensive nursing care service wards and nurses in general wards. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology. 7(6), 25-33. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.6.025
- Song, M. J. & Choi, S. Y. (2017). A convergence study about influences of emotional intelligence and job embeddedness on turnover intention in general hospital nurses. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology. 8(2), 83-89. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.2.083
- Kim, J. I. & Lee T. W. (2016). The influence of nursing practice environment, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 22(2), 109-117. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2016.22.2.109
- Seo, J. A. & Lee, B. S. (2016). Effect of work environment on nursing performance of nurses in hemodialysis units : focusing on the effects of job satisfaction and empowerment. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 22(2), 178-188. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.178 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.178
- Kwon, J. O. & Kim, E. Y. (2012). Impact of unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention in the small and medium sized hospitals. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 18(4), 414-423. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.414
- Lee, J. Y. & Park, S. Y. (2014). Relationship between the practice environment of nursing and critical thinking disposition of nurses in local general hospitals. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 20(2), 145-153. DOI:110.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145
- Yun, Y. M. & Yoo, M. S. (2017). Effects of emotional competence, learning organization, and nursing organization culture among nursing performance of clinical nurses. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 11(4), 29-40. DOI:110.12811/kshsm.2017.11.4.029 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.4.029
- Lee, S. I. & Lee, E. J. (2016). Effect of nursing work environment, emotional labor, and ego-resilience on nursing performance of clinical nursing. Journal of Wellness. 11(4), 267-376.
- Jang, M. K. & Kim, H. Y. (2018). A convergence study on the effects of self-leadership and self-esteem on nursing performance. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society. 9(2), 51-59. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.2.051
- Kim, S. H. (2015). The effects of nursing practice environment and workplace bullying on nursing performance and turnover intention, Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Suwon.