- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Social perception of schizophrenic patient as portrayed in Korean films
한국영화에 나타나는 조현병 환자에 대한 사회 인식
- Hong, Kyung-Young (Dept. of Industry-University Cooperation, Eulji University) ;
- Im, Sookbin (College of Nursing, Eulji University)
- Received : 2017.10.19
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
This study was conducted to identify the social perception of schizophrenic patients through films expressed in schizophrenic patients. We analyzed 48 films and scenarios that have been screened for the last 40 years by content analysis method to perceive interpersonal and emotional perception, perception of families and treatment measures. Patients were violent, dangerous, and burdensome to the family. However, specific experience or internal description has increased, and attitude of family or patients related to treatment has been more actively described since 1996. In conclusion, the perception of patients seen negative, want to avoid, giving burdens and pain to others. Therefore, to improve the social perception of mental disorders, it is necessary to make active use of films that have a high impact on public perception, and try to study the influence of visual media on perception change.
Mentally Ill Persons;Schizophrenia;Patient;Films;Social Perception
- S. J. Gong. (1997). The perceptions and attitudes of lay person toward the mentally ill. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 6(2), 265-277.
- D. W. Hahn & M. K. Rhe. (2003). Changes in social representations about mental disorders: A comparison of 1976 and 1995 years. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 8(1), 191-206.
- J. S. Yoon & H. S. Tak. (2014). Management of mental illness and prevention of crime. Korea Institute of Criminal Policy, Supreme Prosecutors' Office.
- B. H. Lee. (2010). Social representation of a person with mental disorder appearing in newspaper articles in the japanese colonial period. Ph.D. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- H. K. Chang & A. Y. Woo. (2011). Discourse on mental disorders created by TV documentary: completion of distinction. Korea Social Welfare Research Association, 42(1), 179-217. DOI : 10.16999/kasws.2011.42.1.179 https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2011.42.1.179
- H. S. Kim. (2007). Developing a Psychosocial Rehabilitation Model for Persons with Chronic Mental Illness. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(4), 490-500. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.490
- The National Human Rights Commission. (2009). National report for the protection and promotion of human rights of the mentally disabled. Seoul : The National human Rights Commission.
- K. H. Kim. (2011). Development of targeted human rights education program to eliminate prejudice and recognition of people with mental illness. Korea Health Promotion Development Institute, Seoul Womans College Nursing Industry & Academy Collaboration Office.
- C. S Shin & S. W. Kim. (2015). Mental Health Reform through the National Mental Health Strategy in Australia and Convergence Policy Implications. Journal of Digital Conver gence, 13(6), 341-350. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.341 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.6.341
- Y. H. Cho et al. (2014). A study on the integrated supporting system for the mentally disabled. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Disability Development Institute.
- Y. Kim, M. S. Lee, S. Y. Lee, S. K. Kang, Y. S. Kwak & K. H. Kim. (2010). Develop ment of national mental health plan 2011-2015. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul National University Health Promotion Support Team.
- S. Y. Lee. (2012). Direction and tasks of mental health promotion policy in accordance with social conditions. Health and Welfare Policy Forum, 187(5). 68-70.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). 3rd National health promotion comprehensive plan: 2011-2020. Government Publication, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 292-317.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2017). Guidance for mental health business in 2017. Guidance for mental health business, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 390-391.
- National Center for Mental Health & Ministry of Health and Welfare. The National Mental Health and Welfare commission. 2015 National mental health statistics-pilot study, National Center for Mental Health.
- M. R. Ryu, H. J. Bae, S. J. Sub, I. Y. Lee & J. J. Lee. (2007). Democratic union of media citizens. reading images of people with disabilities in the mass media: 2007 media monitor report. Disabled First Practice Movement Bureau Secretariat, p. 155.
- J. H. Seo, S. H. Lee, D. K. Shin, O. Y. Kwon & K. Y. H. Park. (2012). Survey on the prevention of discrimination and prejudice of the mentally disabled. The National Human Rights Commission.
- Kimmel Joachim & Cress Ulrik. (2013). The effects of TV and film exposure on knowledge about and attitudes toward mental disorders. Journal of Community Psychology, 41(8), 931-943. DOI : 10.1002/jcop.21581 https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.21581
- J. E. Kim & J. H. Suh(2015). The social representation of people with mental disorder appeared in Korean films. Korean Journal of Social Welfare studies, 46(2), 177-204. DOI : 10.16999/kasws.2015.46.2.177 https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2015.46.2.177
- Y. S. Choun. (2014). The unification story in the Movie. Education Development Division, Unification Education Center, Seoul, 6-7.
- J. H. Byun. (2003). Study on regulation of the films and its changes in Korea. Ph.D. dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- S. W. Kim, J. S. Yun, M. S. Lee & H. Y. Lee(2000). The Analysis of Newspaper-Artic les on Psychosis. Journal of Korean Neuro psychiatric Association, 39(5), 838-848.
- D. W. Seo. (2007). Mental health policy and law in Korea. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Health and Welfare Forum, 123, 42-56.
- S. Elo & H. Kyngas. (2008). The qualitative content alysis process. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 62(1), 107-115. DOI : 10.1177/2158244014522633 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04569.x
- Demere &, Nikita. (2016). Exaggerations and stereotypes of schizophrenia in contemporary films. Elon Journal of Undergraduate Resea rch in Communications, 7(1), 226-33.
- Owen & R. Patricia. (2012). Portrayals of schizophrenia by entertainment media: a content analysis of contemporary movies. Psychiatric Services, 63(7), 655-659. DOI : 10.1176/appi.ps.201100371 https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201100371
- J. S. Kim & Y. M. Yoon. (2011). Profanity in Korean films. Korean Journal of Journali sm & Communication Studies, 55(5), 81-104.
- M. K. Kim, L. Y. Kim, The National Human Rights Commission & Association for the Rehabilitation of Korean Society. (2008). A Survey on the Living Conditions of the Mentally Disabled and Family Members. Seoul : The National Human Rights Commission, 352-401.
- O. J. Lee & Y. S. Choi. (2007). Family Experiences of Living with Chronic Schizophrenic Patients - Application of Parse"s Human Becoming Research Methodology Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(1), 26-34. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.1.26
- TV daily. (2017). The 20th anniversary of the opening of 'Shine' in/Korea. http://tvdaily.asiae,co.kr/read.php3?aid=14951570201241591008.
- Star Seoul TV News. (2016). EBS world renown, 'Beautiful Mind' From the Schizophrenia to the Nobel Prize 'Impression of human victory'.. http://www.newsinside.kr/news/articleView.httml?idxno41403
- J. S. Kim. (2018). Schizophrenic Patients Impact on Quality Life. Journal of Converg ence for Information Technology, 8(1), 53-58. DOI : 10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.1.053 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2018.8.1.053
- T. H. Lee. (2017). A study of expressing social agenda in feature film (Focusing on the Coen brother's film "A big lebowski (1998)". Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(6), 399-406. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.399 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.399
- I. S. Lee, J. H. Kim, Y. J. Kim. (2017). Convergence and Integration Review of Fire fighter Image through Disaster Movies. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(2), 91-97. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.091
D. C. Park. (2015). Effect of movie
on viewer's political and social recognition. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(11), 365-371. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.365 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.365