- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Examining Factors Influencing the Intention to Use Mobile Payment: Focusing on Self-Construal
모바일 간편결제 이용의도에 미치는 영향요인에 관한 연구: 자기해석의 조절적 역할을 중심으로
- Received : 2017.11.20
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the influence of variables of TAM, user characteristics variables, and perceived risk variables on the intention to use mobile payment. Through the combination of characteristics of mobile payment, this study also investigated the effect of various independent variables on the intention to use mobile payment including the moderating effect of self-construal. To verify hypotheses of this study, the hierarchical regression analysis based on responses from 188 undergraduate and graduate students was conducted. The significant findings of this study were as follows: TAM variables, user characteristics variables and perceived risk variables had positive influence on the intention to use mobile payment. Self-construal was found to moderate the effect of the perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use and subjective norm. This study may provide important implications for both academicians and practitioners.
Supported by : Chung-Ang University
- S. H. Lee & D. W. Lee. (2015). FinTech-Conversions of Finance Industry based on ICT. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(3), 97-102. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.3.097
- K. B. Kim & J. Y. Yun. (2015). Comparison and Analysis on Mobile Payment in terms of Security: Survey. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 5(3), 15-20. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2015.5.3.015
- J. S. Lee & J. H. Park. (2018). The Effects of Characteristics of User and System on the Perceived Cognition and the Continuous Use Intention of Fintech. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 9(1), 291-301. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.1.291
- Johnson, V. L., Kiser, A., Washington, R. & Torres, R. (2018). Limitations to the rapid adoption of M-payment services: Understanding the impact of privacy risk on M-Payment services. Computers in Human Behavior, 79, 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.10.035
- K. Y. Sung. (2015). Convenience and Safety of FinTech Payments : Tokenization. Communications of the Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, 33(5), 13-16.
- Y. M. Kang, Y. G. Lee, H. J. Kwon, K. S. Han & H. S. Chung. (2016). A Study on the Information Security System of Fin-Tech Business. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 6(2), 19-24. https://doi.org/10.14801/jaitc.2016.6.2.19
- H. Choi & Y. J. Choi. (2016). The Impact Perceived Risk on User's Trust and Continuance Intention in Mobile Payment Systems. Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, 20(6), 1096-1102. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2016.20.6.1096
- H. Y. Oh. (2015). A Study of Factors Affecting the Adoption Intention of Mobile Easy Payment Service. Journal of Financial Consumers, 8(1), 33-64.
- Markus, H. R. & Kitayama, S. (1991). Culture and the self: Implications for cognition, emotion, and motivation. Psychological review, 98(2), 224. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.98.2.224
- Aaker, J. L. & Lee, A. Y. (2001). "I" seek pleasures and "we" avoid pains: The role of self-regulatory goals in information processing and persuasion. Journal of Consumer Research, 28(1), 33-49. https://doi.org/10.1086/321946
- Ma, Z., Yang, Z. & Mourali, M. (2014). Consumer adoption of new products: Independent versus interdependent self-perspectives. Journal of Marketing, 78(2), 101-117. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.12.0051
- Shin, D. H. (2009). Towards an understanding of the consumer acceptance of mobile wallet. Computers in Human Behavior, 25(6), 1343-1354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.06.001
- Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS quarterly, 319-340.
- B. Park. (2011). Integrative Adoption Model of New Media (IAM-NM). Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 55(5), 448-479.
- Shin, D. H. (2010). Modeling the interaction of users and mobile payment system: Conceptual framework. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 26(10), 917-940. https://doi.org/10.1080/10447318.2010.502098
- Koenig-Lewis, N., Marquet, M., Palmer, A. & Zhao, A. L. (2015). Enjoyment and social influence: predicting mobile payment adoption. The Service Industries Journal, 35(10), 537-554. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2015.1043278
- J. Hwang & H. S. Yu. (2016). A Study of Factors Affecting the Intention to use a Mobile Easy Payment Service: An Integrated Extension of TAM with Perceived Risk. Journal of Information Technology and Architecture, 13(2), 291-306.
- J. H. Han, S. H. Jae, B. H. Kim & J. S. Park. (2015). Effects of Consumer Trust and Perceived Usefulness on Mobile Payments and Online Shopping Website Loyalty. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(2), 75-87.
- J. K. Lee, M. E. Choi & D. Y. Oh. (2015). A Study on the Determinants of Acceptance Intention of Smartphone SNS-based Financial Application. Journal of Cybercommunication Academic Society, 32(4), 123-161.
- B. J. Cho & J. S. Lee. (2015). Adoption Factors of Smart Watch : Focusing on Moderate Effects of Innovation Resistance. Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunications Research, 93, 111-136.
- Arvidsson, N. (2014). Consumer attitudes on mobile payment services-results from a proof of concept test. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 32(2), 150-170. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-05-2013-0048
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations". Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Venkatesh, V. & Davis, F. D. (2000). A theoretical extension of the technology acceptance model: Four longitudinal field studies. Management science, 46(2), 186-204. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.220.127.116.1126
- S. J. Choi & Y. S. Kang. (2016). Consumers' Intentions for the Usage of Mobile Payments: Extending UTAUT with Innovativeness, Trust and Network Effect. Korean telecommunications policy review, 24(3), 29-52.
- I. G. Park & D. H. Shin. (2010). Using the Uses and Gratifications Theory to Understand the Usage and the Gratifications of Smartphones. Journal of Communication Science, 10(4), 192-225.
- Rogers, E. M. (2010). Diffusion of innovations. New York : Simon and Schuster.
- Hirschman, E. C. (1980). Innovativeness, novelty seeking, and consumer creativity. Journal of consumer research, 7(3), 283-295. https://doi.org/10.1086/208816
- Kim, C., Mirusmonov, M. & Lee, I. (2010). An empirical examination of factors influencing the intention to use mobile payment. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(3), 310-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.10.013
- Midgley, D. F. & Dowling, G. R. (1978). Innovativeness: The concept and its measurement. Journal of Consumer Research, 4(4), 229-242. https://doi.org/10.1086/208701
- Slade, E. L., Dwivedi, Y. K., Piercy, N. C. & Williams, M. D. (2015). Modeling consumers' adoption intentions of remote mobile payments in the United Kingdom: extending UTAUT with innovativeness, risk, and trust. Psychology & Marketing, 32(8), 860-873. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20823
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological review, 84(2), 191. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- B. C. Hwang, K. S. Chung & M. J. Noh. An Empirical Study on Relationships between Characteristics of Mobile Payment Services and Continuance Intention. Korean Association Of Business Education, 31(4), 591-615.
- S. D. Kwon, D. Y. Chun & Y. Y. Kim. (2012) Reexamination of Effect of Perceived Risk on Purchasing Intention. Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management, 19(2), 233-247.
- Jarvenpaa, S. L. & Todd, P. A. (1997). Consumer reactions to electronic shopping on the World Wide Web. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 1(2), 59-88.
- C. K. Kim, J. G. Kim & S. J. Choi. (2017). A Study on the Acceptance Decision Factors for Mobile Easy Payment Services in Digital Convergence Media Ara: Focusing Samsung Pay. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 213-221. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.213
- I. S. Jeon & I. H. Bae. (2001). An Exploratory Model to Explain the Chasm on Internet Shopping Adoption. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 16(4), 47-70.
- Yang, Y., Liu, Y., Li, H. & Yu, B. (2015). Understanding perceived risks in mobile payment acceptance. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 115(2), 253-269. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-08-2014-0243
- S. H. Jang & K. D. Lee. (2014). Privacy risk of Social network service and User Resistance. The e-Business Studies, 15(3), 323-338.
- Y. J. Lee & S. I. Kim (2017). Evaluation for User Experience about Service of Fintech - Mainly with Analysis on 'Kakaopay' and 'Naverpay'. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(4), 387-393. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.387
- S. H. Kim & H. S. Park. (2013). An Analysis of Influence Factors on Privacy Protection Awareness and Protection Behavior and moderating Effect of Privacy Invasion Experience. The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, 13(4), 79-105.
- Jacoby, J. & Kaplan, L. B. (1972). The components of perceived risk. ACR Special Volumes.
- Featherman, M. S., & Pavlou, P. A. (2003). Predicting e-services adoption: a perceived risk facets perspective. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 59(4), 451-474. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-5819(03)00111-3
- Y. Yang & H. S. Lee. (2017). The influence of self-construal, thinking style, and temporal distance on price-quality judgment. Korean Psychology Association, 18(1), 67-92.
- Zhang, Y. & Gelb, B. D. (1996). Matching advertising appeals to culture: The influence of products' use conditions. Journal of advertising, 25(3), 29-46. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1996.10673505
- Singelis, T. M. (1994). The measurement of independent and interdependent self-construals. Personality and social psychology bulletin, 20(5), 580-591. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167294205014
- Triandis, H. C. (2001). Individualism-collectivism and personality. Journal of personality, 69(6), 907-924. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6494.696169
- Mandel, N. (2003). Shifting selves and decision making: The effects of self-construal priming on consumer risk-taking. Journal of Consumer Research, 30(1), 30-40. https://doi.org/10.1086/374700
- D. J. Lee. (2016). Product and Channel Characteristics and Perceived Risks in e-Commerce: Implications for Airline and Travel Industries. Aviation Management Society of Korea, 14(1), 99-119.