- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The influence of brand benefit on the brand extension : focused on trademark belief and categorical similarity
소비자의 브랜드편익이 브랜드 확장에 미치는 영향 - 상표신념의 매개효과와 범주적 유사성의 조절효과를 중심으로 -
- Lee, Suntaek (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Gwi-Gon (Dept. of Business Administration, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2018.04.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
This study is to investigate the influence of brand benefit on brand extension, especially focusing on the mediating effect of trademark belief and the moderating effect of categorical similarity. This study restates that brand benefit affect consumers' brand extension attitude and confirms that it is completely mediated by trademark belief. In addition, this study finds that categorical similarity moderates the effects of brand benefit on brand extension attitude. The results of this study suggest a theoretical implication that trademark belief can be used as one of the brand extension strategies and a practical implication that the brand communication strategy based on brand benefits should be changed with the categorical similarity.
Brand benefit;Trademark belief;Categorical similarity;Parent brand;Brand extension attitude
Supported by : Kumoh National Institute of Technology
- Y. G. Suh & I. K. Koo. (2015). Brand marketing (Second edition). Paju : Hakhyunsa
- I. H. Choi. (2017). Effects of Similarity and Type of Extended Product on Brand Extension Strategy: Direct vs. Sub-brand. Doctoral dissertation. Korea national university of transportation, Chungju.
- Punyatoya. P. (2013). Consumer Evaluation of Brand Extension for Global and Local Brands: The Moderating Role of Product Similarity. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 25(3), 198-215. DOI : 10.1080/08961530.2013.780857 https://doi.org/10.1080/08961530.2013.780857
- S. R. Yoo. (2016). The effects of perceived fit on brand value perception and evaluation of an extended brand in food service brand extension : the moderating effects of brand knowledge and brand salience. Doctoral dissertation. Kyunghee university, Seoul.
- J. W. Chang, H. Zhang & Y. C. Lou. (2016, Feb). Brand Similarity, Cohesiveness, and Diversity in Extension Feedback Effects. Winter Marketing Academic Conference 2016. (pp. A-38), Las Vegas : American Marketing Association.
- W. A. Woo. (2015). Effect of the Perceived Service Quality of the Parent Brand of a Hotel Food Service Chain on the Purchase Intention of the Extended Brands - focusing on mediation effect of the loyalty on the parent brand. International Journal of Tourism Management and Sciences, 29(6), 127-150. ECN : ECN-0102-2015-300-002082400
- K. H. Cho & H. S. Bae. (2017). The effects of the convergence of the in-flight meal quality, the customer satisfaction, the brand image and brand loyalty. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(12), 317-327. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.3.001 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.12.317
- W. A. Woo & H. B. Kim (2015). Effect of the Perceived Service Quality of the Parent Brand on Customers' Purchase Intention of Hotels F&B Extended Brands: Focusing on Mediation of the Awareness on the Parent Brand. Journal of Foodservice Management, 18(3), 179-202. ECN : ECN-0102-2016-320-000389324
- S. K. Kwon. (2016). Customer-Brand Relational Effect According to Engagement Levels of Brand Trans-action Experience: Focusing on the Mediating Role of Brand Identification. The Treatise on The Plastic Media, 19(3), 3-14. ECN : I410-ECN-0102-2017-650-000533247
- D. I. Tag. (2015). A Study on The Influence of Convergence Benefit of Facebook Fan Page in Brand Attachment and Brand Commitment. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 199-206. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.199 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.199
- S. H. Seo. (2018). The Effects of Parent Hotel Brand Equity on Extended Brand Attitude: Analysis of Moderating Effect of Extended Brand Service Quality. Doctoral dissertation. Kyonggi university, Suwon.
- S. E. Heckler, K. L. Keller, M. J. Houston & J. Avery. (2012). Building brand knowledge structures: Elaboration and interference effects on the processing of sequentially advertised brand benefit claims. Journal Of Marketing Communications, 20(3), 176-196. DOI : 10.1080/17544750.2012.660766 https://doi.org/10.1080/17544750.2012.660766
- H. O. Do & S. H. Lee. (2016). The Relation of Brand Extension Strategy and Customers Expectation Benefit. Journal of Korea Service Management Society, 17(4), 107-121. DOI : 10.15706/jksms.2016.17.4.006 https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2016.17.4.006
- Y. D. Kim. (2016). The patent attribute belief and the attitude toward brand in functional brand -Focused on the moderating effect of thinking style. Master's thesis. Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Gumi.
- G. G. Kim. (2008). The psychological underline mechanism difference between Eastern and Western culture in an evaluation for brand extension. Doctoral dissertation. Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul.
- Y. C. Kwon. (2016). A Comparative Study of Preference Between Heuristic and Fishbein Attitude Model According to the Brand Concept - Focused on the Moderating Effect of Thinking Style. Master's thesis. Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Gumi.
- H. O. Do. (2012). A Study of the Brand Extension and Extension Advertisement on the Hotel Brand Concept: Focusing on the Moderating Effect of the Thinking Style. Doctoral dissertation. Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Gumi.
- H. C. Lim. (2013). The Effects of Brand Extension Strategies for Franchise Extension on Brand Familiarity and Purchase Intention. The Korean Food Service Association, 9(3), 67-79. DOI : 10.22509/kfsa.2013.9.3.006 https://doi.org/10.22509/kfsa.2013.9.3.006
- G. G. Kim, T. H. Cha & S. W. Chun. (2008). Category similarity in an evaluation for brand extension : Focused on interference effect of product category information. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 19(4), 199-215. DOI : 10.11108/kagis.2016.19.4.199
- J. Y. Lim. (2016). The effect of product involvement and collaboration marketing conformity strategy on brand extension assessment. Master's thesis. Hanyang university, Seoul.
- C. S. Lim. (2015). Study on Brand Extension Evaluation of Consumer Preference and Brand Concept : Focused on Similarity. Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(2), 1054-1063. DOI : 10.5762/kags.2015.16.2.1054 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1054
- Y. Pan. (2015). Effects of Brand Concept on Evaluation of Extended Product: Moderating Effect of Construal Level and Type of Product. Doctoral dissertation. Korea national university of transportation, Chungju.