- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the effect of Shared Leadership to Innovation Behavior - The moderate effect of Trust -
공유리더십이 혁신행동에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구 - 신뢰의 조절효과
- Lee, Sun-kyu (Business School, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Noh, Yeon-sook (Business School, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Kang, Eun-gu (Business School, Kumoh National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2018.01.31
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
In this study, we examine the relationship between shared leadership and innovation behaviors of the members, and try to understand what moderate effect trust in these relationships. To do this, we set up research models and hypotheses that shared leadership will influence innovative behavior through literature review. We also added the moderating effect of Trust on the relationship between these variables. For the empirical analysis, a questionnaire survey was conducted for corporate member in Daegu and Kyungbuk area. Multiple regression analysis and hierarchical regression analysis were conducted to test hypotheses. As a result, Shared leadership has a significant effect on innovation behavior. In particular, trust among members has been shown to regulate the relationship between shared leadership and innovation behavior. The results of this study will be applied to the strategic human resources management of major organizations.
Shared leadership;Innovation behavior;Trust in supervisor;Trust between members;Team effectiveness
Supported by : Kumoh national institute of technology
- Avolio, B. J., Jung, D. I., Murry, W. & Sivasbramaniam, N. (1996). Building highly developed teams: Focusing on shared leadership process, efficacy, trust, and performance.
- Barney, J. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of management, 17(1), 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Barney, J. B., &Hansen, M. H. (1994). Trustworthiness as a source of competitive advantage. Strategic management journal, 15(S1), 175-190. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150912
- Bouty, I. (2000). Interpersonal and interaction influences on informal resource exchanges between R&D researchers across organizational boundaries. Academy of Management Journal, 43(1), 50-65. https://doi.org/10.2307/1556385
- Carson, J. B., Tesluk, P. E. & Marrone, J. A. (2007). Shared leadership in teams: An investigation of antecedent conditions and performance. Academy of management Journal, 50(5), 1217-1234. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159921
- Cooke, P., & Wills, D.(1999). Small firms, social capital and the enhancement of business performance through innovation programmes. Small business economics, 13(3), 219-234. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008178808631
- Damanpour, F. (1991). Organizational innovation: A meta-analysis of effects of determinants and moderators. Academy of management journal, 34(3), 555-590.
- Ensley, M. D., Hmieleski, K. M., &Pearce, C. L. (2006). The importance of vertical and shared leadership within new venture top management teams: Implications for the performance of startups. The leadership quarterly, 17(3), 217-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2006.02.002
- Ensley, M. D., Pearson, A., &Pearce, C. L. (2003). Top management team process, shared leadership, and new venture performance: A theoretical model and research agenda. Human Resource Management Review, 13(2), 329-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(03)00020-2
- E. G. Kang, S. K. Lee. (2017). A Study on the effect of Perceived Organizational Support to Organizational Citizenship Behavior in the convergence age. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 15(9), 99-110.
- Georgianna, S. (2007). Self-leadership: a cross-cultural perspective. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 22(6), 569-589. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940710778440
- Hiller, C. E., Refshauge, K. M., Bundy, A. C., Herbert, R. D., &Kilbreath, S. L. (2006). The Cumberland ankle instability tool: a report of validity and reliability testing. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, 87(9), 1235-1241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.05.022
- Hoch, J. E. (2013). Shared leadership and innovation: The role of vertical leadership and employee integrity. Journal of Business and Psychology, 28(2), 159-174. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-012-9273-6
- Ivey, M., &Sanders, E. (2006). Designing a physical environment for co-experience and assessing participant use. In Wonderground, Design Research Society International Conference (pp. 1-35).
- Jackson, S. E., DeNisi, A. & Hitt, M. A. (Eds.). (2003). Managing knowledge for sustained competitive advantage: Designing strategies for effective human resource management (Vol. 21). John Wiley & Sons.
- Janssen, I., Heymsfield, S. B., Wang, Z. & Ross, R. (2000). Skeletal muscle mass and distribution in 468 men and women aged 18-88 yr. Journal of applied physiology, 89(1), 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.2000.89.1.81
- Jones, G. R. & George, J. M. (1998). The experience and evolution of trust: Implications for cooperation and teamwork. Academy of management review, 23(3), 531-546. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.926625
- Kayes, A. B., Kayes, D. C. & Kolb, D. A. (2005). Experiential learning in teams. Simulation & Gaming, 36(3), 330-354. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046878105279012
- M. Y. Kim & Y. S. Lee. (2000). The foundation of trust and distrust that the subordinates have in the Korean corporate organization. Korean Journal of Psychology: Cultural and Social Issues, 6(3), 99-120.
- Mayer, R. C., Davis, J. H. & Schoorman, F. D. (1995). An integrative model of organizational trust. Academy of management review, 20(3), 709-734. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9508080335
- McAllister, D. J. (1995). Affect-and cognition-based trust as foundations for interpersonal cooperation in organizations. Academy of management journal, 38(1), 24-59.
- Mehra, A., Smith, B. R., Dixon, A. L. & Robertson, B. (2006). Distributed leadership in teams: The network of leadership perceptions and team performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 17(3), 232-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2006.02.003
- Neck, C. P., & Houghton, J. D. (2006). Two decades of self-leadership theory and research: Past developments, present trends, and future possibilities. Journal of managerial psychology, 21(4), 270-295. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940610663097
- Olivotto, I. A., Bajdik, C. D., Ravdin, P. M., Speers, C. H., Coldman, A. J., Norris, B. D., & Gelmon, K. A. (2005). Population-based validation of the prognostic model ADJUVANT! for early breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23(12), 2716-2725. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.06.178
- O'Toole, M. (2002). The relationship between employees' perceptions of safety and organizational culture. Journal of safety research, 33(2), 231-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4375(02)00014-2
- Pearce, C. L. (2007). The future of leadership development: The importance of identity, multi-level approaches, self-leadership, physical fitness, shared leadership, networking, creativity, emotions, spirituality and on-boarding processes. Human Resource Management Review, 17(4), 355-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrmr.2007.08.006
- Pearce, C. L. & Sims Jr, H. P. (2002). Vertical versus shared leadership as predictors of the effectiveness of change management teams: An examination of aversive, directive, transactional, transformational, and empowering leader behaviors. Group dynamics: Theory, research, and practice, 6(2), 172. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26220.127.116.11
- J. G. Seo & A. J. Hong. (2015). The Effects of Shared Leadership on Innovative Behavior and Mediating Effects of Unsupervised Learning and Job Cohesiveness. Journal of Business Research, 28(3), 981-1008.
- Sivasubramaniam, N., Murry, W. D., Avolio, B. J. & Jung, D. I. (2002). A longitudinal model of the effects of team leadership and group potency on group performance. Group & Organization Management, 27(1), 66-96. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601102027001005
- J. S. Song & P. S. Yang. (2009). Mediating effects of psychological empowerment on the relationship between supervisor trust and innovation behavior. Industrial Economics Research, 22(5), 2437-2455.
- S. K. Lee, E. G. Kang, S. D. Goo. (2017). A Study on the effect of Empowering Leadership to Organizational Citizenship Behavior - Mediating Effect of Self-Leadership. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 15(11), 209-220.
- S. K. Lee, K. H. Son, E. G. Kang, Y. H. Kim. (2014). A Study on the Influence of Empowering-Leadership to Creativity and Job attitude. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 12(8), 85-99.
- Van de Ven, A. H. (1986). Central problems in the management of innovation. Management science, 32(5), 590-607. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.590
- Waddock, S. A., &Graves, S. B. (1997). The corporate social performance-financial performance link. Strategic management journal, 303-319.
- D. M. Yang, H. J. No & D. S. Sim. (2012). The Effects of Shared Leadership on Team Efficacy and Team Commitment in Project Team - Verification of Mediating Effects of Task Adjustment and Task Sharing. Business Management Research (formerly Dongrim Management), 42(single issue), 127-147.
- Yukl, G. (1999). An evaluation of conceptual weaknesses in transformational and charismatic leadership theories. The leadership quarterly, 10(2), 285-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)00013-2
- Yukl, G., & Mahsud, R. (2010). Why flexible and adaptive leadership is essential. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 62(2), 81. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019835
- Amabile, T. M. (1998). How to kill creativity (Vol. 87). Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.
- Ciancutti, A., & Steding, T. L. (2001). Built on trust: Gaining competitive advantage in any organization.
- Cohen, D., & Prusak, L. (2000). In good company: The role of social capital in organizations. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Covey, S. R. (1990). The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change Publisher.
- Katz, D.,& Kahn, R. L. (1978). The social psychology of organizations (Vol. 2). New York: Wiley.
- Kanter, R. M. (1988). Three tiers for innovation research. Communication Research, 15(5), 509-523. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365088015005001
- Pearce, C. L., & Conger, J. A. (2002). Shared leadership: Reframing the hows and whys of leadership. Sage.
- Robinson, S. L. (1996). Trust and breach of the psychological contract. Administrative science quarterly, 574-599.