- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of Resistance to Change by Organizational Politics and Fairness in The Split-offs Firms
분할 기업에서 조직정치지각과 공정성에 따른 변화저항 연구
- Kim, Sung Gun (Minerva College, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Jung, Byoungho (Dept. of Management Information Systems, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Kim, Joongwha (College of Business Administration, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- Received : 2018.02.12
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
The organizational politics strengthened resistance to change. This study explores how the organizational political perception and fairness in split firms affect resistance to change. The analysis showed that the boss's and colleague's politics is minimized by its distributional fairness and procedural fairness. The organizational politics strengthened resistance to change. Additionally, mediating effects of fairness were analyzed. As a result, it was revealed that the perception of organized politics by bosses and that colleagues' perception of organizational politics affected resistance to change based on distributional fairness. However, it was shown that procedural fairness had no mediating roles between organizational politics and change resistance. There is a need to pay keen attention to distributional fairness to minimize the resistance to changes of organizational members at the split. If distributional fairness is not secure, Members will be a political behavior.
Split firms;Organizational politics;distributional fairness;procedural fairness;Resistance to change
Supported by : Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
- S. G. Kim. (2013). A Study on the Influence of Strategic Leadership, Integration Strategy on Performance after M&A -Focused on the Case of LG Chem's M&A-, Journal of Digital Convergence, 11(10), 263-275. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.263
- S. G. Kim., J. W. Kim. (2016). A Study on the Effect of Cooperative Industrial Relations on Trust and Commitment, Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(8), 137-150. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.137
- S. G. Kim., H. R. Kim. (2016). A Study on the Effect of Fairness Perception of Incentive System on Manager-Trust -The moderating effect on HRM strength-, Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(9), 199-214. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.199
- Wagner III, J. A., Leana, C. R., Locke, E. A. & Schweiger, D. M. (1997). Cognitive and motivational frameworks in US research on participation: A meta-analysis of primary effects. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 49-65.
- S. W. Lee. (2009). The relationship between cash flow and new Investment - Evidence from Korean corporate divestitures -. Korean Jouranl of Business Administration, 22(5), 2809-2829.
- Cusatis, P. J., Miles, J. A. & Woolridge, J. R. (1993). Restructuring through spinoffs: The stock market evidence. Journal of Financial Economics, 33(3), 293-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(93)90009-Z
- Dittmar, A. & Shivdasani, A. (2003). Divestitures and divisional investment policies. The Journal of Finance, 58(6), 2711-2744. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1540-6261.2003.00620.x
- Robbins, S. P. (1977). Reconciling management theory with management practice. Business Horizons, 20(1), 38-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(77)90086-6
- Schlesinger, P. F. & Kotter, J. P. (1992). Organization: Text, cases, and readings on the management of organizational design and change. Irwin Professional Publishing.
- Vredenburgh, D. J. & Maurer, J. G. (1984). A process framework of organizational politics. Human Relations, 37(1), 47-65. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678403700103
- Murray, V. & Gandz, J. (1980). Games executives play: Politics at work. Business horizons, 23(6), 11-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(80)90045-2
- Mayes, B. T, & Allen, R. W. (1977). Toward a definition of organizational politics. Academy of management review, 2(4), 672-678. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1977.4406753
- Pfeffer, J. (1992). Understanding power in organizations. California management review, 34(2), 29. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166692
- Mintzberg, H. (1985). The organization as political arena. Journal of management studies, 22(2), 133-154. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1985.tb00069.x
- Greenberg, J. (1987). A taxonomy of organizational justice theories. Academy of Management review, 12(1), 9-22. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1987.4306437
- Adams, J. S. (1965). Inequity in social exchange. In Advances in experimental social psychology, 2, 267-299.
- Deutsch, M. (1975). Equity, equality, and need: What determines which value will be used as the basis of distributive justice?. Journal of Social issues, 31(3), 137-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1975.tb01000.x
- Lerner, M. J. (1977). The justice motive: Some hypotheses as to its origins and forms. Journal of personality, 45(1), 1-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1977.tb00591.x
- Leventhal, G. S. (1980). What should be done with equity theory?. In Social exchange. Springer, Boston, MA.
- Cropanzano, R., Rupp, D. E., Mohler, C. J., &Schminke, M. (2001). Three roads to organizational justice. In Research in personnel and human resources management, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 1-113.
- Colquitt, J. A., Conlon, D. E., Wesson, M. J., Porter, C. O. & Ng, K. Y. (2001). Justice at the millennium: a meta-analytic review of 25 years of organizational justice research. Journal of applied psychology, 86(3), 425. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.3.425
- Kumar, P., &Ghadially, R. (1989). Organizational politics and its effects on members of organizations. Human Relations, 42(4), 305-314. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678904200402
- Eagly, A. H., &Chaiken, S. (1998). Attitude structure and function.
- J. J. Kim, K. K. Park. (2008). A Study on the Relation between Personal Characteristics and Psychological Resistance to Change & Organization Commitment. THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY, 21(3), 429-450. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.21.3.200808.429
- Brower, R. S., &Abolafia, M. Y. (1995). The structural embeddedness of resistance among public managers. Group &Organization Management, 20(2), 149-166. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601195202005
- Beer, M., &Eisenstat, R. A. (1996). Developing an organization capable of implementing strategy and learning. Human relations, 49(5), 597-619. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679604900504
- S. G. Kim.. (2013). A Study on Relationship Among Strategic Leadership, Resistance and Perceived Performance After M&A -Focused on IT Companies-. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, 18(10), 183-192. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2013.18.10.183
- Kacmar, K. M. & Ferris, G. R. (1991). Perceptions of organizational politics scale (POPS): Development and construct validation. Educational and Psychological measurement, 51(1), 193-205. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164491511019
- Price, J. L., &Mueller, C. W. (1986). Absenteeism and turnover of hospital employees.
- Alexander, S., &Ruderman, M. (1987). The role of procedural and distributive justice in organizational behavior. Social justice research, 1(2), 177-198. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01048015
- Oreg, S. (2006). Personality, context, and resistance to organizational change. European journal of work and organizational psychology, 15(1), 73-101. https://doi.org/10.1080/13594320500451247
- W. W. Chin. (1998). The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling. Modern methods for business research, 295(2), 295-336.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., &Tatham, R. L. (1998). Multivariate data analysis. Uppersaddle River. Multivariate Data Analysis (5th ed) Upper Saddle River.
- Cohen, J. (1992). Statistical power analysis. Current directions in psychological science, 1(3), 98-101. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10768783
- Tenenhaus, M., Vinzi, V. E., Chatelin, Y. M. & Lauro, C. (2005). PLS path modeling. Computational statistics &data analysis, 48(1), 159-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2004.03.005
- Robbins, Stephen P., and Timothy A. Judge. Organizational Behavior 15th Edition. US. Prentice Hall, 2012.
- Soper, D. S. (2012). Sobel Test Calculator for the Significance of Mediation (Online Software).