- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seaport Concentration and Competition Development in the Arctic Region of Russia along the North Sea Route
러시아 북극지역 항만의 집중 및 경쟁현상에 관한 연구-북극해 항로를 중심으로
- Krivoshchekov, Peter (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Pham, Thi Yen (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University) ;
- Yeo, Gi-Tae (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- 여기태 (인천대학교 동북아물류대학원)
- Received : 2018.01.18
- Accepted : 2018.04.20
- Published : 2018.04.28
Russia has access to unique port locations and routes, one of them is North Sea route, which have been a major debate topic for last several decades. In order to handle any shipments along the route, an adequate and capable port system must be present. This study aims to identify development and competition patterns from 2007 to 2016 of Russian ports in the Arctic basin, concentration trends in particular. The objectives achieved through utilizing the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI), concentration ratio (CR), the Gini coefficient and Lorenz curve, and shift-share analysis. Results demonstrate concentration trend, positive overall growth and lack of real competition. Originality of this study lies in the fact that certain analysis had not been done in previous studies, but importance of it may be found in several papers. Findings of this paper may assist policy-makers, port authorities and other researchers in understanding and further study on the region.
Russia;North Sea Route;Concentration;Deconcentration;Geographical Patterns
- Lasserre, F. (2014). Case Studies of Shipping along Arctic Routes. Analysis and Profitability Perspectives for the Container Sector. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 66(2), 144-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2014.05.005
- Schoyen H. & Svein B. (2011). The Northern Sea Route versus the Suez Canal: Cases from Bulk Shipping. Journal of Transport Geography, 19(1), 977-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2011.03.003
- Fu S , Di Z , Jakub M , Xinpin Y & Enrico Z. (2016). Towards a Probabilistic Model for Predicting Ship Besetting in Ice in Arctic Waters. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 15(2), 124-136.
- Huntington P, Henry P, Raychelle D, Andrew H & Kevin H. (2015). Vessels, Risks,and Rules: Planning for Safe Shipping in Bering Strait. Marine Policy, 51(1), 119-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2014.07.027
- Cariou P & Olivier F. (2015). Relevance of the Northern Sea Route (NSR) for Bulk Shipping. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 78(1), 333-346.
- E. Y. Park & D. G. Kwag. (2015). The study on the market competitiveness reinforcement for convergence industry, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 6(5), 99-106. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.099
- E. Y. Park & D. G. Kwag. (2015). Competition in the life insurance market: evidence from Korea using the Panzar-Rosse Model, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 7(5), 201-211. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.201
- M. Y. Cha. (2017). Enhancement of SMB Global Compentency for Overseas Market Entry, Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(1), 11-16.
- K. I. Kim. (2017). The Study on Perception of Adoption of Certification System for Smart Factory, Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(3), 153-158. https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2017.7.3.153
- Zhang Y, Qiang M & Szu Hui N. (2016). Shipping Efficiency Comparison between Northern Sea Route and the Conventional Asia-Europe Shipping Route via Suez Canal. Journal of Transport Geography, 57(2), 241-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2016.09.008
- Lee T. D. & Kim. H. J. (2015). Barriers of Voyaging on the Northern Sea Route: A Perspective from Shipping Companies. Marine Policy 62(3), 264-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2015.09.006
- Lasserre F. (2011). Arctic Shipping Routes: From the Panama Myth to Reality. International Journal 64(4), 793-808.
- Huang L, Frederic L & Olga A. (2014). Is China's Interest for the Arctic Driven by Arctic Shipping Potential. Asian Geographer, 32(3), 59-71.
- Beveridge L, Melanie F, Frederic L & Linyan H. (2016). Interest of Asian Shipping Companies in Navigating the Arctic. Polar Science, 10(2), 404-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polar.2016.04.004
- Zalyvsky & Nikolai P. (2015). The Northern Sea Route: The Potential of Expectations and the Real Functioning Problems, Arctic and North Region, 20(3), 37-57. https://doi.org/10.17238/issn2221-2698.2015.20.37
- Nikolaeva & Anna B. (2011). Northern Sea Way: Problems and Prospects, Kol'sk Science Center of Russian Academy of Science Digest, 4(1), 108-112.
- Kondratov & Nikolai A. (2012). International Aspects of Utilizing North Sea Route in XX-XXI Century: Economico-geographical Aspect, Arctic Environmental Research, 1(3), 83-104.
- Agarkov, Sergey A & Vladimir Stepanovich S. (2015). Arctic Communication in the Global Economy and the Development of the Northern Sea Route. Murmansk National University Digest, 3(2), 369-372.
- Monios, J. (2014). Between Path Dependency and Contingency: New Challenges for the Geography of Port System Evolution. RGS-IBG Annual International Conference, 29(3), 187-207.