- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of ventilation effects by mask-sealing methods during bag-valve-mask ventilation
백-밸브-마스크 환기 시 마스크 밀착방법에 따른 환기효과 비교
- Lee, Nam-Jong (Department of Paramedic Science, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Baek, Mi-Lye (Department of Paramedic Science, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2018.03.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.15
- Published : 2018.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to compare the tidal volumes and airway pressures of 3 mask-sealing methods (one hand C-E, two hands C-E, and one hand O-E) for ventilation treatment. Methods: The study subjects were 45 paramedic students. Tidal volume was measured for the three sealing methods by setting a ventilator, connecting it to the masks for 2 minutes, and using Respi-trainer software. Results: Regarding general characteristics, the group of men, in upper grades, and with practical training experience and experience and experience in the implementation of bag-valve-mask ventilation provided higher tidal volumes. Regarding physical characteristics, larger hands and greater grip strength correlated with higher tidal volume. Two hands C-E generated the highest tidal volume of
Bag-valve-mask;Mask sealing;Ventilation;Tidal volume
Supported by : 한국교통대학교
- Kim H, Kim SH, Oh SB, Cha KC, Kim HJ, Lee SY, et al. Resuscitation outcomes and clinical characteristics of non-traumatic out-of-hospital geriatric cardiac arrest. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2004;15:434-9.
- Hazzard WR, Halter JB, Ouslander JG, Tinetti ME. Principles of geriatric medicine and gerontology, 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003. 423-30.
- Tallis RC. Brocklehurst's textbook of geriatric medicine and gerontology, 6th ed. London: Churchill Livingstone, 2003. 341-8.
- Neumar RW, Shuster M, Callaway CW, Gent LM, Atkins DL, Bhanji F et al. Part 1:executive summary, 2015 American Heart Association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation 2015;132:315-67. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000252 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000252
- Aufderheide TP, Sigurdsson G, Pirrallo RG, Yannopoulos D, McKnite S, von Briesen C, et al. Hyperventilation induced hypotension during cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation 2004;109(16):1960-5. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000126594.79136.61 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000126594.79136.61
- Kleinman ME, Brennan EE, Goldberger ZD, Swor RA, Terry M, Bobrow BJ et al. Part 5:Adult basic life support and cardiopulmonary resuscitation quality, 2015 American Heart Association guideline update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care, Circulation 2015;132:S414-S35. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000259 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000259
- Neumar RW, Shuster M, Callaway CW, Gent LM, Atkins DL, Bhanji F et al. Part 7:adult advanced cardiovascular life support, 2015 American heart association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation 2015;132:444-64. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000261 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000261
- Davidovic L, LaCovey D, Pitetti RD. Comparison of 1-versus 2-person bag-valve-mask techniques for manikin ventilation of infants and children. Ann Emerg Med 2005;46:37-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2005.02.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2005.02.005
- Joffe AM, Hetzel S, Liew EC. A two-handed jaw-thrust technique is superior to the one-handed "EC-clamp" technique for mask ventilation in the apneic unconscious person. Anesthesiology 2010;113:873-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181ec6414 https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181ec6414
- Otten D, Liao MM, Wolken R, Haukoos JS. Comparison of bag-valve-mask hand-sealing techniques in a simulated model. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2014;63:6-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.07.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.07.014
- Hart D, Reardon R, Ward C, Miner J. Face mask ventilation: a comparison of three techniques. J Emerg Med 2013;44:1028-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2012.11.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2012.11.005
- Shin SY, Lee JG, Roh SG. Comparative analysis of tidal volume and airway pressure with a bag-valve-mask using respitrainer. Fire Sci Eng 2014;28(6):76-81. https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2014.28.6.076 https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2014.28.6.076
- Jung EJ. Comparison of the ventilation performances between standard and resmed cpap masks using simulation manikin model. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University 2012, Gwangju, Korea.
- Gerstein NS, Carey MC, Braude DA, Tawil I, Petersen TR, Deriy L et al. Efficacy of facemask ventilation techniques in novice providers. J Clinical Anesthesia 2013;25(3):193-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2012.10.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2012.10.009
- Manual of emergency airway management (Ron MW, Michael FM). Seoul:Koonja, 2013. 108-9.
- von Goedecke A, Bowden K, Wenzel V, Keller C and Gabrielli A. Effects of decreasing inspiratory times during simulated bag-valve-mask ventilation. Resuscitation 2005;64(3):321-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2004.09.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2004.09.003
- Korean 2015 guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Available at:https://www.kacpr.org
- Kwon CY. Assistant device development and effects for promotion of bag-valve-mask ventilation. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Transportation 2017, Jeungpyeong, Korea.
- Jin YH, Jeung TO, Kang JH, Lee JB. The effect of ventilation rate and characteristics of the hand on inspiratory oxygen concentration and tidal volume during bag-valve ventilation. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 1998;9(1):7-13.
- Jo SM, Jung HK. Differentiation of tidal volume & mean airway pressure with different bag-valve-mask compression depth and compression rate. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2012;16(2):67-74. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2012.16.2.067
- Lee HY, Jeung KW, Lee BK, Lee SJ, Jung YH, Lee GS et al. The performances of standard and ResMed masks during bag-valve-mask ventilation. Prehospital Emergency Care 2013;17(2):235-40. https://doi.org/10.3109/10903127.2012.729126 https://doi.org/10.3109/10903127.2012.729126
- Choi HK, Jung HK. Simulation study for bag-valve-mask application guideline on pathologic pulmonary condition. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2013;17(3):21-8. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2013.17.3.021 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2013.17.3.021