- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of traffic accidents involving 119 emergency
119 구급대 구급차 교통사고 현황 분석
- Lee, Jeong-Ho (Yongin Fire Station, Gyeonggi-do) ;
- Shin, Dong-Min (Department of Paramedic Science, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2018.03.12
- Accepted : 2018.04.15
- Published : 2018.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate both the occurrence status of emergency vehicles traffic accidents and contents of the experiences of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) in fire station. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 451 EMTs in fire stations in 6 cities provinces from February 9, 2017 to February 27, 2017. Results: Of 451 EMTs, 207 (45.9%) had traffic accidents experience. Regarding environment-related features, results indicated hour (12~18 hours), place (national highway), traffic flow (smooth), weather (clear), season (winter), and day (Friday). Regarding correlation analysis of differences in the number of ambulance traffic accidents pursuant to general features of accident-experienced drivers as a human factor, there were no significant differences in recruitment, driving careers of regular cars, driving careers of fire engines, and class but there were significant differences in fire-fighting careers. Accident experience in the group with careers over 6 years and less than 10 years higher than in the other groups. Conclusion: Efforts to expand fire engine driving education programs for the prevention of traffic accidents involving 119 emergency vehicles are required.
Traffic accident;Environmental factors;Human factor
- National Fire Agency 119. 2017 Emergency Medical Service Statistical Yearbook 2017. 3-209.
- Shin DM, Yoon BG, Han YT. 2016, Analysis of Ambulance Traffic Accident During Driving, Proceeding of the Korean Institute Fire Science Engineering Conference 30(1), 130-6.
- Cho JM, O YK, Kim JH. A Study on Behavioral Factors For the Safety of Ambulance Driving by Coefficiecial Structural Analysis - focus on Gwangju Metropolitan City - J Kor Soc Emerg Med Technol 2002;6:199-207.
- Lee HW. A study on processing method of emergency vehicle accident, The University of Seoul Graduate School of Urban Sciences 2016. 19-74.
- Traffic Accident Analysis System. Available at http://taas.koroad.or.kr/index.jsp
- Sanddal TL, Sanddal ND, Ward N, Stanley L. Ambulance crash characteristics in the US defined by the Popular Press : A retrospective analysis. Emergency Medicine International 2010;Article ID 525979, 7 pages https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/525979 https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/525979
- Savolainen PT, Dey KC, Ghosh I, Karra TLN, Lamb A. Investigation of emergency vehicle crashes in the State of Michigan. USDOT Region V Regional University Transportation Center Final Report 2009;2-30.
- Albertsson P, Sundstrom A. Evaluation of Insight Training of Ambulance Drivers in Sweden Using DART(Driver Access Recording Tool), a new e-learning tool. Traffic Injury Prevention 2011;12(6):621-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2011.620660 https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2011.620660