- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors of prevention practices against infection exposure among emergency medical technicians in emergency rooms
응급실 응급구조사의 감염노출 예방행위 수행정도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Sim, Kyung-Yul (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Konyang University) ;
- Kim, Jee-Hee (Department of Emergency Medical Services, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Cheol (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Honam University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Tae (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Konyang University)
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.04.15
- Published : 2018.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the influencing factors of prevention practices against infection exposure among emergency medical technicians (EMTs) in emergency rooms. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 100 EMTs in emergency rooms from June 1 to August 31, 2017. The questionnaire consisted of items concerning the defensive environment for the prevention of infection exposure, perception of preventive behavior, and degree of performance of preventive actions against infection based on a five-point Likert scale. Data were analyzed by descriptive statistics,
Emergency medical technician (EMT);Infection exposure;Prevention;Influencing factors
- Hwang JH. Awareness and performance towards the infection prevention standard attention in 119 paramedics and hospital emergency medical technician using IPA. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University 2014, Samcheok, Korea.
- Statistics Korea(2007-2010) Hospital Statistics. http://kosis.kr/
- An JS. Factors influencing in performance of infection prevention in emergency room nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, DongA University 2014, Busan, Korea.
- Kim EA., Kang SK. and Choi BS. A Survey on Infectious Diseases of Medical Workers. Seoul: Korean Industrial Health Association, 2006.
- Yang KH. Awareness and performance of the nurses to standard precautions for infection control in a university hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk University 2010, Jeonju, Korea.
- Lee NH. A study on the awareness of hospital infection prevention guideline of emergency room workers in Ulsan area. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Haany University 2005, Daegu, Korea.
- Beltrami EM, Williams IT, Shapiro CN, Chamberland ME Risk management of blood borne infections in HCW. Clinical Microbiology Review. 2000;13:385-407. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000 https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.13.3.385-407.2000
- Casanova L, Alfano-Sobsey E, Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Sobsey M. Virus transfer from personal protective equipment to healthcare employees' skin and clothing. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2008;14(8):1291-3. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/14/8/08-0085_article https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1408.080085
- Ministry of Health & Welfare Health care system. Available at: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/index.jsp, 2015.
- Korean Association of Emergency Medical Technician. 2016 Emergency medical technician present condition. Available at: http://www.emt.or.kr/stats_recsroom/stats_recsroom_base/stats_recsroom_main/emrrsc_sttus
- Cho HS, Yoo KH. A Study on the Level of Recognition and Performance of the Clinical Nurses about the Prevention of Nosocomial Infection. J Korean Occupational Health Nurs 2001;10(1):5-23.
- Jagger J, Powers RD, Day JS, Detmer DE, Blackwell B, Pearson RD. Epidemiology and prevention of blood and body fluid exposure among emergency department staff. J Emerg Med 1994;12(6):753-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0736-4679(94)90480-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0736-4679(94)90480-4
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Healthcare-associated infections(HAI) Data and statistics. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/surveillance/index.html
- Han EK. A Protective Behavior model against the harmful effects of radiation for radiological technologists in medical centers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University 2009, Seoul, Korea.
- Park NY. A comparative study on the emergency nurses and ward nurses; perception and preventive performance level for infection exposure. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea 2003, Seoul, Korea.
- Yang YO. The current state of infection exposure and preventive practice of infection in Gyeonggi-do Province emergency room nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim BK. A study on the development of Korean EMS system. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University 2011, Chuncheon, Korea.
- Kim MJ. A study on knowledge, awareness and practice of clinical nurse's hospital infection control. Unpublished master's thesis, Chodang University 2010, Muan, Korea.
- Park SY, Shin DS, Lee HK, Kim HS. Compliance with nosocomial infection control and related factors among emergency room nurses. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2008;15(2):153-60.
- Emergency Medical Services Act. Article 2. http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsi-Seq=188094&efYd=20171203#0000
- Emergency medical treatment center Evaluation guied 2017.
- Lee MK. Intensive care unit nurses' knowledge, recognition, and performance of hospital infection control. Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University 2012, Seongnam, Korea.