- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessment of environmental flows using hydrological methods for Krishna River, India
- Uday Kumar, A. (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology) ;
- Jayakumar, K.V. (Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2018.04.14
- Accepted : 2018.12.18
- Published : 2018.09.25
Krishna River is significantly affected due to Srisailam dam from past 30 years. The impact of this hydraulic structure drastically reduced the minimum flow regime on the downstream, which made the river nearing to decaying stage. In the present paper, Environmental Flow called minimum flow values released for the dam are estimated with the help of three hydrological methods viz., Range of variability Approach (RVA), Desktop Reserve Model (DRM), and Global Environmental Flow Calculator (GEFC). DRM method suggested considering the intermediate values obtained from among the three methods to preserve the ecosystem on the downstream of the river, which amounts to an average annual allocation of 9378 Million Cubic Meter (MCM) which is equal to 23.11% of mean annual flow (MAF). In this regard GEFC and RVA methods accounted for 22% and 31.04% of MAF respectively. The results indicate that current reservoir operation policy is causing a severe hydrological alteration in the high flow season especially in the month of July. The study concluded that in the case of non-availability of environmental information, hydrological indicators can be used to provide the basic assessment of environmental flow requirements. It is inferred from the results obtained from the study, that the new reservoir operations can fulfil human water needs without disturbing Environmental Flow Requirements.
environmental flow;hydrological alteration;reservoir operations;ecosystem
- Abdi, R. and Mehdi, Y. (2015), "Evaluation of environmental flow requirements using eco-hydrologichydraulic methods in perennial rivers", Water Sci. Technol., 72(3), 354-363. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2015.200
- Ares, E. (2018), "Effects of multiple dam projects on river ecology and climate change: Coruh River Basin, Turkey", Adv. Environ. Res., 7(2), 121-138. https://doi.org/10.12989/AER.2018.7.2.121
- Babel, M.S., Dinh, C.N., Mullick, M.R. and Nanduri, U.V. (2012), "Operation of a hydropower system considering environmental flow requirements: A case study in La Nga river basin, Vietnam", J. Hydroenviron. Res., 6(1), 63-73.
- Boodoo, K.S., McClain, M.E., Upegui, J.J.V. and Lopez, O.L. (2014), "Impacts of implementation of Colombian environmental flow methodologies on the flow regime and hydropower production of the Chinchina River, Colombia", Ecohydrol. Hydrobiol., 14(4), 267-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecohyd.2014.07.001
- Bunn, S.E. and Arthington, A.H. (2002), "Basic principles and ecological consequences of altered flow regimes for aquatic biodiversity", Environ. Manage., 30(4), 492-507.
- Declaration, B. (2007), "Environmental flows are essential for freshwater ecosystem health and human wellbeing", Proceedings of the 10th International River Symposium and International Environmental Flows Conference, Brisbane, Australia, September.
- Gippel, C.J., Cosier, M., Markar, S. and Liu, C. (2009), "Balancing environmental flows needs and water supply reliability", Water Resour. Develop., 25(2), 331-353. https://doi.org/10.1080/07900620902868802
- Hughes, D.A. and Hannart, P. (2003), "A desktop model used to provide an initial estimate of the ecological instream flow requirements of rivers in South Africa", J. Hydrol., 270(3), 167-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00290-1
- Iyer, R.R. (2005), "The notion of environmental flows: A caution", Proceedings of the NIE/IWMI Workshop on Environmental Flows, New Delhi, India, March.
- Jain, S.K. and Kumar, P. (2014), "Environmental flows in India: Towards sustainable water management", Hydrolog. Sci. J., 59(3-4), 751-769. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2014.896996
- Joshi, K.D., Jha, D.N., Alam, A., Srivastava, S.K., Kumar, V. and Sharma, A.P. (2014), "Environmental flow requirements of river Sone: Impacts of low discharge on fisheries", Current Sci., 107(3), 478-512.
- King, J. and Louw, D. (1998), "Instream flow assessments for regulated rivers in South Africa using the Building Block Methodology", Aquat. Ecosyst. Health Manage., 1(2), 109-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1463-4988(98)00018-9
- Liu, Y., Cao, S., Yang, Y. and Zhang, X. (2018), "Assessment of hydrologic regime considering the distribution of hydrologic parameters", Water Sci. Technol. Water Supply, 18(3), 875-885. https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2017.161
- Magdaleno, F.(2018), "Flows, ecology and people: Is there room for cultural demands in the assessment of environmental flows?", Water Sci. Technol., 77(7), 1777-1781. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2018.075
- Mazvimavi, D. Madamombe, E. and Makurira, H. (2007), "Assessment of environmental flow requirements for river basin planning in Zimbabwe", Phys. Chem. Earth, 32(15), 995-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2007.07.001
- Nilsson, C., Reidy, C.A., Dynesius, M. and Revenga, C. (2005), "Fragmentation and flow regulation of the world's large river systems", Science, 308(5720), 405-408. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1107887
- Pal, S. and Talukdar, S. (2018), "Assessing the role of hydrological modifications on land use/land cover dynamics in Punarbhaba river basin of Indo-Bangladesh", Environ. Develop. Sustain., 1(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42398-018-0013-3
- Peng, L. and Sun, L. (2016), "Minimum instream flow requirement for the water-reduction section of diversion-type hydropower station: A case study of the Zagunao River, China", Environ. Earth Sci., 75(17), 1210.
- Peres, D.J. and Cancelliere, A. (2016), "Environmental flow assessment based on different metrics of hydrological alteration", Water Resour. Manage., 30(15), 5799-5817. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-016-1394-7
- Pfeiffer, M. and Ionita, M. (2017), "Assessment of hydrologic alterations in Elbe and Rhine Rivers Germany", Water, 9(9), 684. https://doi.org/10.3390/w9090684
- Poff, N.L., Allan, J.D., Palmer, M.A., Hart, D.D., Richter, B.D., Arthington, A.H., Rogers, K.H., Meyer, J.L. and Stanford, J.A. (2003), "River flows and water wars: Emerging science for environmental decision making", Front. Ecol. Environ., 1(6), 298-306. https://doi.org/10.1890/1540-9295(2003)001[0298:RFAWWE]2.0.CO;2
- Richter, B.D., Baumgartner, J.V., Powell, J. and Braun, D.P. (1996), "A method for assessing hydrologic alteration within ecosystems", Conserv. Biol., 10(1), 1163-1174. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1739.1996.10041163.x
- Smakhtin, V.U. and Anputhas, M. (2006), "An assessment of environmental flow requirements of Indian river basins", IWMI Research Report 107, International Water Management Institute, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Smakhtin, V.U., Shilpakar, R.L. and Hughes, D.A. (2006), "Hydrology-based assessment of environmental flows: An example from Nepal", Hydrolog. Sci. J., 51(2), 207-222. https://doi.org/10.1623/hysj.51.2.207
- Talukdar, S. and Pal, S. (2017), "Impact of dam on inundation regime of flood plain wetland of punarbhaba river basin of barind tract of Indo-Bangladesh", Int. Soil Water Conserv. Res., 5(2), 109-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iswcr.2017.05.003
- Tharme, R.E. (2003), "A global perspective on environmental flow assessment: Emerging trends in the development and application of environmental flow methodologies for rivers", River Res. Appl., 19(1), 397-441. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.736
- Tharme, R.E. and Smakhtin, V.U. (2003), "Environmental flow assessment in Asia: Capitalizing on existing momentum", Thailand Water Resour. Assoc., 2(1), 301-313.
- Uday Kumar, A. and Jayakumar, K.V. (2018), "Assessment of hydrological alteration and environmental flow requirements for Srisailam dam on Krishna River, India", Water Policy, 20(6), 1176-1190.
- Warner, A.T., Bach, L.B. and Hickey, J.T. (2014), "Restoring environmental flows through adaptive reservoir management planning, science and implementation through the sustainable rivers project", Hydrolog. Sci. J., 59(3-4), 770-785. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2013.843777
- Wurbs, R.A. and Hoffpauir, R.J. (2017), "Environmental flow requirements in a water availability modeling system", Sustain. Water Quality Ecol., 9(1), 9-21.
- Yang, N., Zhang, Y. and Duan, K. (2017), "Effect of hydrologic alteration on the community succession of macrophytes at Xiangyang Site, Hanjiang River, China", Scientifica, 1(1),1-10.