- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Online Voting System based on Ethereum Block-Chain for Enhancing Reliability
신뢰성 향상을 위한 이더리움 블록체인 기반의 온라인 투표 시스템
- Kim, Chul-Jin (Dept. of Computer Systems and Engineering, Inha Technical College)
- 김철진 (인하공업전문대학 컴퓨터시스템과)
- Received : 2018.02.05
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
Existing online voting is not being used for public elections due to uncertainty about security threats, and offline voting costs a lot of money. As an alternative, blockchain is emerging. Applying blockchain technology to online voting will ensure transparency and confidentiality, because voter information and aggregate information are distributed and managed. Since a blockchain distributes the voting information, it will be more secure than existing central server - based online voting systems. If blockchain technology is applied to public elections, and the transparency and confidentiality of the voting information is guaranteed, the cost of voting will be greatly reduced. This paper tries to apply to an online voting system the Ethereum platform from among the blockchain technologies. Ethereum is a highly scalable blockchain technology that provides a smart contract based on the Solidity language to develop an online voting contract and to distribute the contract to each voter. Each voter votes on the contract that has been distributed, and the votes are distributed to other voters. The experiment verifies the consistency of the stored voting information.
- Steemit, "https://steemit.com/," (accessed Jan., 10. 2018)
- H. S. Park, J. W. Chung, and U. M. Kim, "A Study On Shared EMR(Electronic Medical Record By Block Chain(Ethereum)," Proceedings of KIIT Summer Conference, 436-437, December 2017.
- Y. S. Ko and H. S. Choi, "Changing Business Paradigm and Its Application - Focused on the Block Chain Technology," Korea Science & Art Forum, 27, 2017.
- Internet newspaper of CryptoCoinsNews, "https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/blockchain-tech-enables-utah-republicans-vote-candidate/," Mar. 2016. (accessed Jan., 12. 2018)
- Internet newspaper of CoinDesk, "http://www.coindesk.com/libertarian-party-texas-logs-votes-presidential-electors-blockchain/," Apr. 2016. (accessed Jan., 12. 2018)
- R. James, "A Next-Generation Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform," "https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/White-Paper," 2017. (accessed Jan., 15. 2018)
- A. Watanabe, Y. Matsumoto, Y. Nishimura, and T. Shimizu, "Block Chain, Introduction to Application Development," 2017.
- K. Park, C. O. Kim, and H. Y. Youm, "Countermeasures against Security Threats to Online Voting Using Distributed Ledger Technology," Journal of the Korea Institute of Information Security & Cryptology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1201-1216, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2017.27.5.1201 https://doi.org/10.13089/JKIISC.2017.27.5.1201
- Internet homepage of ISO/TC 307 Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies, "https://www.iso.org/committee/6266604.html," Sep. 2016.(accessed Jan., 3. 2018)
- Go Ethereum(Geth), "https://ethereum.github.io/go-ethereum/downloads," (accessed Dec., 4. 2017)
- S. H. Jo, J. B. Lee, J. Y. Park, D. G. Lee, and H. IN, ETHEREUM BASIC, BookStar, 2017.
- Mist and Ethereum Wallet, "https://github.com/ethereum/mist/releases," Jan 2018. (accessed Dec., 4. 2017)