- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preparation and Release Characterization of Sodium Alginate Bead Containing Phytoncide Oil
편백정유를 함유한 알지네이트 비드의 제조 및 방출 특성
- Yoon, Doo-Soo (Dept of Bioenvironmental & Chemical Engineering, Chosun College of Science & Technology) ;
- Lee, Eung-Jae (Dept of Bioenvironmental & Chemical Engineering, Chosun College of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2018.01.24
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
High molecular weight sodium alginate (HMWSA)/low molecular weight sodium alginate (LMWSA) microcapsules containing phytoncide oil were prepared with different LMWSA contents. The effects of the stirring rate and ratio of HMWSA/LMWSA on the diameter and morphology of the phytoncide/alginate beads were investigated by optical microscopy and the release behaviors of phytoncide oil from the phytoncide/alginate beads were characterized by UV/Vis. spectrophotometry. The mean particle size of the phytoncide/alginate beads decreased with increasing stirring rate and concentration of the calcium chloride solution. The surface morphology of the phytoncide/alginate beads changed from smooth surfaces to skin-like rough surfaces with increasing LMWSA content. These results were due mainly to the increased hydrophilic groups at the bead surface, resulting in an increase in the release rate of phytoncide oil in the phytoncide/alginate beads.
Alginate Bead;HMWSA;LMWSA;Phytoncide/Alginate Bead;Phytoncide Oil
- Gocho S. "Antibacterial action of aroma compounds in vapor state". Int J Antimicrob Agent., 19: 329-334, 1991.
- Rudman P. "The causes of matural durability in timber(11), some tests on fungi toxisity of wood extractives and related compounds", Holzforschung, 17: 54-57, 1963. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/hfsg.1922.214.171.124 https://doi.org/10.1515/hfsg.19126.96.36.199
- V. Pillai and R. Fassihi, "In vitro release modulation from crooslinked pellets for site-specific drug delivery to the gastrointestinal tract: II. Physicochemical characterization of calcium - alginate, calcium - pecinate and calcium - alginate - pectinate pellets", J. Control. Pel., Vol. 59, pp. 243-256, 20 May 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-3659(98)00197-7
- S. R. Kim, S. H. Yuk, and M. S. hon, "A semi-interpenetrating networs system for a polymer membrane", European Ploymer J., 33, 1009-1014, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-3057(96)00301-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-3057(96)00301-1
- H. Ertesvag and S. Valla, "Biosynthesis and applications ofalginates", Polym Degrad Stabil., 59, 85-91. 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(97)00179-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(97)00179-1
- P. D. Vos, B. D. Haan, and R. V. Schilfgaarde, "Effect of the alginate composition on the biocompatibility ofalginate-polylysine microcapsules", Biomaterial., 18, 273, 1997 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(96)00135-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(96)00135-4
- J. H. Choi, H. Y. Lee, and J. C. Kim, "Release behavior of freeze- dried alginate beads containing poly (N-isopropylacrylamide) copolymers," J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 110(1), 117-123, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/app.28620 https://doi.org/10.1002/app.28620
- E. Roux, C. Passerini, S. Scafold, J. P. Benoit, and J. C. "Serum-stable and long-circulating, PEGylated, pH-sensitive liposomes", Leroux, J. Contel. Rel., Vol 94, pp 447-451, 10 February 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2003.10.024Leroux https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2003.10.024
- S. K. Choi and Y. S. Choi, "Depolymerization of Alginates by Hydrogen Peroxide/Ultrasonic Irradiation", Polym. (korea)., Vol 35, pp. 445-450, 2011
- D. H. Yong, M. K. Song, and H. H. Yoon, "Effects of Sodium Alginate Concentration on Physical and Sensory Characteristics of Persimmon Calcium Alginate Beads", Korea J. Food Cook SCI., 27(5):497-505, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.5.497 https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.5.497
- Sen. M and Guven. O, "Radiation synthesis of poly(N-vinyl 2-pyrrolidone/itaconic acid) hydrogels and their controlled release behaviours", Radial. Phys. Chem., Vol 55, pp 113-120, June 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(98)00315-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(98)00315-6
- B.B. Lee, P. Pavindra, and E. S. Chan, "Size and Shape of Calcium Alginate Beads Produced by Extrusion Dripping", Chemical Engineering Technology., 36, 10, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201290081 https://doi.org/10.1002/ceat.201290081
- M. K. Kang and J. C. Kim, "Preparation and Release Property of Alginate Beads Immobilizing Ploy (N-isopropylacrylamide-co-dimethylaminoethyl methacrylate)", Polym(Korea)., 24, 79, 2010.
- S. Giridhar Reddy, Akanksha Saxena Pandit, and Amrita Thakur, "Effects of Crosslink Agents on Sodium Alginate and Lignosulphonic Acid Blends", Polym(Korea)., 40. 63. 2016.