- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation on real-time multi-point sensing performance of IoT-based hybrid measurement system
IoT 기반 하이브리드 계측시스템 실시간 다점 측정 성능 평가
- Kim, Heonyoung (New Transportation Innovative Research Center, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Donghoon (New Transportation Innovative Research Center, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2018.02.05
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
The rapid growth of IoT technology induced by the fourth industrial revolution has resulted in research into various types of wireless sensors, and applications based on this technology are prevalent in many areas. However, among the various sites where this technology is used, railway bridges and tunnels with lengths of tens of kilometers have problems with data acquisition, due to the signal noise induced by the long distance measurement and EMI induced by the high voltage power feeding system, when conventional electric sensors are used. To overcome these problems, many studies on fiber optic sensors have been conducted as a substitute for the conventional electric sensors. However, restrictions on the types of fiber optic sensors have limited their application in railways. For this reason, a hybrid measurement system with IoT based wireless data communication, in which both electric and fiber optic sensors can be applied simultaneously, has been developed. In this study, in order to evaluate the applicability of the hybrid measurement system developed in the previous study, a real-time test for 4 types of measurement environments, which reflect possible railway sites, is performed. As a result, it was confirmed that the signals from both the electric and fiber optic sensors, which were acquired at a remote area in real-time, showed good agreement with each other and that this measurement system has the potential to handle sensors with a sampling rate of 2.5 kHz. In the future, it is expected that the IoT-based hybrid measurement system will contribute to the improvement of structural safety by enabling real-time structural health monitoring when applied to various measurement sites.
Hybrid measurement system;Internet of things;FBG sensors;Electrical sensors;Simultaneous measurement
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- W. Joe, M. Jiang, K. Jeong, "An M2M/IoT based smart data logger for environmental sensor networks," Journal of KIISE: Computing Practices and Letters, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1-5, 2014.
- Y. S. Moon, S. P. Choi, E. K. Lee, J. J. Kim, H. R. Choi, "Performance evaluation of advanced container security device(ACSD) system based on IoT(internet of things)," Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2183-2190, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2013.17.9.2183 https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2013.17.9.2183
- J. Kim, K. Kang, "A study on the reliability of the energy harvesting module for the wireless sensor node of the train," Proceedings of KSME 2014 spring conference, pp. 151-151, 2014.
- D. Kang, W. Chung, "Integrated monitoring scheme for a maglev guideway using multiplexed FBG sensor arrays," NDT & E International, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 260-266, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2008.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2008.11.001
- W. Chung, D. Kang, "Application of FBG Sensors for Monitoring of Railroad Bridge," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 25-28, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.22636/MKCI.2012.24.3.25 https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2012.24.1.025
- D. Kang, D. H. Kim, S. Jang, "Design and development of structural health monitoring system for smart railroad-gauge-facility using FBG sensors," Experimental Techniques, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 39-47, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-1567.2012.00844.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-1567.2012.00844.x
- H. K. Kang, D. H. Kang, H. J. Bang, C. S. Hong, C. G. Kim, "Cure monitoring of composite laminates using fiber optic sensors," Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 279-287, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/11/2/311 https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/11/2/311
- W. Chung, D. Kang, "Full-scale test of a concrete box girder using FBG sensing system," Engineering Structures, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 643-652, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.003
- K. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, "Shape monitoring of composite cantilever beam by using fiber Bragg grating sensors," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 833-839, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.7.833 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.7.833
- D. Kang, K. Choi, "Development of Hybrid Measurement System for Railway Sites Using IoT Technology," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 327-334, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2017.37.5.327 https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2017.37.5.327