- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Supply Chain Dynamic Capabilities, Open Innovation and Supply Uncertainty on Supply Chain Performance
공급사슬 동적역량, 개방형 혁신, 공급 불확실성이 공급사슬 성과에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Sang-Yeol (Dept. of Technology, Business and Policy, The Graduate School, Pusan National University)
- 이상열 (부산대학교 대학원 기술사업정책학과)
- Received : 2018.03.19
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
As the global business environment is dynamic, uncertain, and complex, supply chain management determines the performance of the supply chain in terms of the utilization of resources and capabilities of companies involved in the supply chain. Companies pursuing open innovation gain greater access to the external environment and accumulate knowledge flows and learning experiences, and may generate better business performance from dynamic capabilities. This study analyzed the effects of supply chain dynamic capabilities, open innovation, and supply uncertainty on supply chain performance. Through questionnaires on 178 companies listed on KOSDAQ, empirical results are as follows: First, integration and reactivity capabilities among supply chain dynamic capabilities have a positive effect on supply chain performance. Second, the moderating effect of open innovation showed a negative correlation in the case of information exchange, and a positive correlation in the cases of integration, cooperation and reactivity. Third, two of the 3-way interaction terms, "information exchange*open innovation*supply uncertainty" and "integration*open innovation*supply uncertainty" were statistically significant. The implications of this study are as follows: First, as the supply chain needs to achieve optimization of the whole process between supply chain components rather than individual companies, dynamic capabilities play an important role in improving performance. Second, for KOSDAQ companies featuring limited capital resources, open innovation that integrates external knowledge is valuable. In order to increase synergistic effects, it is necessary to develop dynamic capabilities accordingly. Third, since resources are constrained, managers must determine the type or level of capabilities and open innovation in accordance with supply uncertainty. Since this study has limitations in analyzing survey data, it is necessary to collect secondary data or longitudinal data. It is also necessary to further analyze the internal and external factors that have a significant impact on supply chain performance.
open innovation;supply chain dynamic capability;supply chain management;supply chain performance;supply uncertainty
- D. J. Teece, G. Pisano, and A. Shuen, "Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 509-533, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7%3C509::AID-SMJ882%3E3.0.CO;2-Z https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- S. B. Kang and T. S. Moon, "An Empirical Study on The Impact of IT Competence on Supply Chain Performance through Supply Chain Dynamic Capabilities," Korean Management Review, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 245-272, 2014.
- K. Laursen, and A. Salter, "Open for innovation: The role of openness in explaining innovation performance among U.K. manufacturing firms," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 131-150, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.507 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.507
- H. W. Chesbrough, Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 2003.
- U. Lichtenthaler, and E. Lichtenthaler, "A Capability-Based Framework for Open Innovation: Complementing Absorptive Capacity," Journal of Management Studies, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1315-1337, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00854.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00854.x
- T. Xia, and S. Roper, "Unpacking Open Innovation: Absorptive Capacity, Exploratory and Exploitative Openness, and the Growth of Entrepreneurial Biopharmaceutical Firms," Journal of Small Business Management, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 931-952, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12220
- J. A. Schumpeter, Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy, New York: Allen & Unwin, 1942.
- Y. Y. Yusuf, A. Gunasekaran, A. Musa, M. Dauda, N. El-Berishy, and S. Cang, "A relational study of supply chain agility, competitiveness and business performance in the oil and gas industry," International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 147, Part B, pp. 531-543, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2012.10.009
- F. Wu, D. Kim, and S. T. Cavugil, "The Impact of Information Technology on Supply Chain Capabilities and Firm Performance: A Resource-based View," Industrial Marketing Management, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 493-504, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.05.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.05.003
- D. J. Teece, "Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Micro-foundations of(sustainable) Enterprise Performance," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1319-1350, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640
- M. Christopher, and H. Lee, "Mitigating Supply Chain Risk Through Improved Confidence," International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 388-396, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030410545436 https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030410545436
- P. M. Swafford, S. Ghosh, and N. Murthy, Achieving supply chain agility through IT integration and flexibility, International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 288-297, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.09.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.09.002
- S. M. Lee and J. S. Rha, "Ambidextrous supply chain as a dynamic capability: building a resilient supply chain," Management Decision, vol. 54, Issue 1, pp. 2-23, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-12-2014-0674 https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-12-2014-0674
- D. Kim, and R. P. Lee, "Systems Collaboration and Strategic Collaboration: Their Impacts on Supply Chain Responsiveness and Market Performance," Decision Sciences, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 955-981, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00289.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00289.x
- K. J. Ju, B. H. Park, and T. K. Kim, "Causal relationship between supply chain dynamic capabilities, technological innovation, and operational performance," Management and Production Engineering Review, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 6-15, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/mper-2016-0031
- W. M. Cohen, and D. A. Levinthal, "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R & D," The Economic Journal, vol. 99, pp. 569-596, 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2233763 https://doi.org/10.2307/2233763
- D. Kim, S. T. Cavusgil, and R. J. Calantone, "Information System Innovation and Supply Chain Management: Channel Relationships and Firm Performance," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 40-54, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070305281619 https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070305281619
- A. Rai, R. Patnayakuni, and N. Seth, "Firm performance impacts of digitally enabled supply chain integration capabilities," MISQ, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 225-246, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/25148729 https://doi.org/10.2307/25148729
- G. Bhatt, A. Emdad, N. Roverts, and V. Grover, Building and Leveraging Information in Dynamic Environments: The Role of IT Infrastructure Flexibility as Enabler of Organizational Responsiveness and Competitive Advantage, Information and Management. (2010), vol. 47, pp. 341-349. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2010.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2010.08.001
- K. A. Saeed, M. K. Malhotra, and V. M.K., Grover, "Interorganizational system characteristics and supply chain integration: an empirical assessment," Decis. Sci., vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 7-42, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00300.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2010.00300.x
- E. T. C. Wang, J. C. F. Tai, and H. Wei, "A virtual integration theory of improved supply-chain performance," Journal of Management Information Systems, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 41-64, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230203 https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230203
- H. W. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke, and J. West, Open innovation: Researching a new paradigm. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- O. Gassmann, and M. M. Keupp, "The competitive advantage of early and rapidly internationalising SMEs in the biotechnology industry:A knowledge-based view," Journal of World Business, vol. 40, pp. 350-366, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2007.04.006
- W. Drechsler, and M. Natter, "Understanding a firm's openness decisions in innovation," Journal of Business Research, vol. 65, issue 3, pp. 438-445, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.11.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.11.003
- C. J. Cheng, and E. C. Shiu, "The inconvenient truth of the relationship between open innovation activities and innovation performance," Management Decision, vol. 53 Issue 3, pp. 625-647, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-03-2014-0163 https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-03-2014-0163
- S. A. Zahra, H. J. Sapienza, and P. Davidsson, "Entrepreneurship and dynamic capabilities: A review, model and research agenda," Journal of Management Studies, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 917-955, 2006. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00616.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00616.x
- R. M. Baron, and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research : Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 173-182, 1986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- U. Lichtenthaler, "Outbound open innovation audits effect on firm performance: examining environmental influences," R&D management, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 317-330, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2009.00561.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2009.00561.x
- R. Davidson, and J. G. MacKinnon, Estimation and Inference in Econometrics, OUP Catalogue, 1993.
- C. C. Bozarth, D. P. Warsing, B. B. Flynn, and E. J. Flynn, "The impact of supply complexity on manufacturing plant performance," J. Oper. Manage, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 78-93, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2008.07.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2008.07.003
- C. Gimenez, T. van der Vaart, and D. P. van Donk, "Supply chain integration and performance: the moderating effect of supply complexity," Int. Journal of Operations Production Management, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 583-610, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571211226506 https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571211226506
- A. Protogerou, Y. Caloghirou, and S. Lioukas, "Dynamic capabilities and their indirect impact on firm performance," Ind. Corp. Change, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 615-647, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtr049 https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtr049
- H. L. Wei, and E. T. G. Wang, "The strategic value of supply chain visibility: increasing the ability to reconfigure," European Journal of Information Systems, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 238-249, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.10 https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2010.10
- S. J. Mason, M. H. Cole, B. T. Ulrey, and L. Yan, "Improving electronics manufacturing supply chain agility through outsourcing," International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 610-620, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600030210442612
- V. Kumar, K. A. Fantazy, U. Kumar, and T. A. Boyle, "Implementation and management framework for supply chain flexibility," Journal of Enterprise Information Management, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 303-319, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/17410390610658487 https://doi.org/10.1108/17410390610658487
- S. M. Lee, J. S. Rha, D. Choi, and Y. Noh, "Pressures affecting green supply chain performance," Management Decision, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 1753-1768, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-12-2012-0841 https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-12-2012-0841
- P. H. Andersen, and I. Drejer, "Together we share? Competitive and collaborative supplier interests in product development," Technovation, vol. 29, pp. 690-703, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.12.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.12.003
- A. K. Zobel, "Benefiting from Open Innovation: A Multidimensional Model of Absorptive Capacity," J Prod Innov Manag., vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 269-288, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12361 https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12361
- Y. Hu, P. McNamara, and D. McLoughlin, "Outbound open innovation in bio-pharmaceutical out-licensing," Technovation, vol. 35, Issue 1, pp. 46-58, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2014.07.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2014.07.004
- K. M. Eisenhardt and J. A. Martin, "Dynamic Capabilities: What are They," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 21, pp. 1106-1121, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0266(200010/11)21:10/11<1105::AID-SMJ133>3.0.CO;2-E
- M. Peteraf, G. Di Stefano, and G. Verona, "The elephant in the room of dynamic capabilities: bringing two divergent conversations together," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1389-1410, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2078 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2078
- C. E. Helfat and S. G. Winter, "Untangling dynamic and operational capabilities: strategy for the (n)ever-changing world," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1243-1250, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.955 https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.955
- B. Fynes, S. de Burca, and D. Marshall, "Environmental uncertainty, supply chain relationship quality and performance," Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, vol. 10, no. 4-5, pp. 179-190, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pursup.2004.11.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pursup.2004.11.003
- A. Paulraj, A. A. Lado, and I. J. Chen, "Inter-organizational communication as a relational competency: Antecedents and performance outcomes in collaborative buyer-supplier relationships," Journal of Operations Management, vol. 26, pp. 45-64, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.04.001
- N. R. Sanders, "IT Alignment in supply chain relationships: A study of supplier benefits," Journal of Supply Chain Management, vol. 41, no. 2, 4-13, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1055-6001.2005.04102001.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1055-6001.2005.04102001.x
- H. A. Van de Ven and D. Ferry, Measuring and Assessing Organizations, New York: Wiley, 1980.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, and R. E. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis, Seventh Edition, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2010.
- L. S. Aiken, and S. G. West, Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. Newbury Park: Sage, 1991.
- B. K. Kim, and J. Y. Og, "Alliance Capability, Absorptive Capacity, and Alliance Performance of Korean SMEs," Yonsei Business Review, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 51-76