- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between SNS addiction proneness and interpersonal satisfaction among undergraduate students
대학생들의 SNS중독경향성과 대인관계 만족도의 상관관계
- Kim, So-Yeon (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Mi-Ji (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Bu-Kyung (College of Nursing/Research Institute of Nursing Science Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2018.02.01
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to examine SNS addiction proneness and interpersonal satisfaction among undergraduate students and the relationships between these two variables, as well as to establish baseline data for appropriate intervention of SNS addiction prevention. The participants of this study were 316 undergraduate students in D and K city, and data were collected between June 30 and July 30, 2017. Data were collected by a self-administered online survey and analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-tests, and Pearson's correlation coefficients using SPSS. The results showed that SNS addiction proneness and interpersonal satisfaction were negatively correlated (r=-0.57, p<0.01), indicating students with higher SNS addiction had lower interpersonal satisfaction. There were no significant differences in SNS addiction proneness and interpersonal satisfaction by gender (t=0.05, p=0.963), number of SNS networks (t=0.66, p=0.513), or number of SNS-only networks (t=-1.24, p=0.216). Students who used SNS for data collection showed significantly higher interpersonal satisfaction (t=3.02, p=0.030); however, there was no significant differences in SNS addiction proneness among purposes for using SNS (t=0.39, p=.759). The results of this study will be useful baseline data for developing an intervention to improve interpersonal satisfaction and prevent SNS addiction among undergraduate students.
Internet;Interpersonal satisfaction;SNS addiction;Social media;Undergraduate students
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- B. N. Kim, "Effect of Smart-phone Addiction on Youth's Sociality Development," The Journal of the Korean Contents Association, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 208-217, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208
- Korea Internet& Security Agency, 2015 Survey on the Internet Usage http://www.kisa.or.kr/eng/main.jsp
- H. K. Kim, S. J. Oh, "The Psychological Typologies among Social Network Service Users: Toward the Possibility of New Communication," Journal of KSSSS, vol. 22, 161-177, 2011. http://uci.or.kr/G704-001986.2011..22.008
- J. H. Kang, T. S. Moon, "Influence of SNS Usage Motivation and Satisfaction on Continuance Usage Intention of SNS and Mediating Effect of Habit," The Journal of internet electronic commerce research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 19-34, 2017.
- Young, Kimberly S. "CBT-IA: The First Treatment Model for Internet Addiction," Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 304-312(9), 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1891/0889-83126.96.36.1994 https://doi.org/10.1891/0889-83188.8.131.524
- H. J. Hwang, S. R. Yu, "Effects of Interpersonal Relation skill program Interpersonal Relation skills and Self-Esteem," Journal of The National Academy of Sciences, vol. 30, pp. 75-93, 2005.
- E. Y. Yu, C. K. Yoon, Y. J. Yang, "The Relationship between Self-esteem and Mental Health of College Student in Some Regions," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 13. No1, pp. 274-283, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.274 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.274
- I. M. Horowitz, J. Vitcus, "The interpersonal basis of psychiatric symptoms" Clinical Psychology Review, 6, pp. 443-469, 1986 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(86)90031-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(86)90031-0
- Hyun-Ju Lee, Hey-Kyoung Kim, The effect of intoxication in stress of university life on the adaption of university life among university students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 3944-3953, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3944 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3944
- H. J. Gu, O. S. Lee, M. J. Hong, "The Relationship between SNS addiction tendency, Self assertiveness, Interpersonal problems and in College students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 180-187, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.180 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.180
- H. J. Song, "A Study on SNS addiction using smart phones," Korean Association of Addiction Crime Review, vol. 1(2), pp31-49, 2011. http://www.earticle.net/article.aspx?sn=176930
- K. H. Hwang, Y. S. Yoo, O. H. Cho, "Smartphone Overuse and Upper Extremity Pain, Anxiety, Depression, and Interpersonal Relationships among College Students," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 12(10), pp. 365-375, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365
- J. Raacke & J. Bonds-Raacke. "My Space and Facebook: Applying the Uses and Gratifications Theory to Exploring Friend-Networking Sites," CyberPsychology & Behavior, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 169-174, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0056 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0056
- E. B. Weiser, "The functions of Internet use and their social and psychological consequences," Cyberpsychology & Behavior, pp. 723-743, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/109493101753376678
- H. S. Choi, J. C. Ha, "A Study on the factors inducing internet addiction of college students," Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, vol. 22(3), pp. 437-448, 2011.
- K. H. Seo, S. H. Jo, "An Exploratory Study on Factors Related with SNS Addiction Proneness: Focus on Covert Narcissism, Self-Presentational Motivation, and Sense of Alienation," Journal of Korean Psychological Association, vol. 18(1), pp. 239-250, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2013.18.1.014
- S. Schlein, B. Guerney, L. Stover, "The Interpersonal Relationship Scale," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Pennsylvania State University, Philadelphia, 1971.
- S. M. Moon, "A Study on the Effect of Human Relations Training of University Students" Journal of Gyeongsang National University, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 195-203, 1980.
- Interpersonal exhaustion among young adults in Korea [Internet]. Seoul: Dong-A Ilbo, 2017 [cited 2017 April 4], Available From: http://news.donga.com/List/Series_70030000000769/3/70030000000769/20170404/83675088/1#replyLayer. (accessed February 21, 2018)
- Young, Kimberly S, "Internet addiction: The emergence of a new clinical disorder," CyberPsychology & Behavior, vol. 1(3), pp. 237-244, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237
- S. K. Park, E. Y. Lee, "Effects of Interpersonal Relationship And Self-Efficacy On Overuse Of Smartphone - Focusing on college students," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 669-676, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.08.79
- H. G. Eun, "Adolescents' Self-awareness, Other-awareness, Interpersonal skills and the Satisfaction of interpersonal relationship : the Difference among the Grades and between the Sexes," The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, vol. 9(1), pp. 136-157, 2001.
- I. S. Lee, J. Y. Jo, "Factors Influencing SNS Addiction Tendency among College Students," Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2623-2633, 2012.
- S. I. Kim, "The influence on friendships motivated by the use of SNS," Unpublished academic thesis, Kyungpook National University, Deagu, 2014.
- Y. Seong, M. H. Hyun, "The Mediating Effect of Experiential Avoidance on the Relationship between Undergraduate Student's Motives for Using SNS and SNS Addiction Tendency: Focused on Facebook," The Korean journal of stress research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 257-263, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.4.257 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.4.257