- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Further Examinations on the Financial Aspects of R&D Expenditure For Firms Listed on the KOSPI Stock Market
국내 KOSPI 상장기업들의 연구개발비 관련 재무적 요인 심층분석
- Kim, Hanjoon (Division of Business Administration, Hoseo University)
- 김한준 (호서대학교 사회과학대학 경영학부)
- Received : 2018.01.15
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
The study examines corporate research & development (R&D) expenditure in modern finance. Firms may face one of the essential issues to maintain their optimal levels of R&D expenditures in order to increase corporate profit. Accordingly, financial determinants that may influence R&D spending are statistically tested for firms listed on the KOSPI stock market during the period from 2010 to 2015. Financial determinants which may discriminate between firms in high-growth and low-growth industries are examined on a relative basis. Explanatory variables including one-period lagged R&D expenses (Lag_RD), cross-product term between the Lag_RD and type of industry (as a dummy variable), and advertising expenses (ADVERTISE) significantly influenced corporate R&D intensity. Moreover, high-growth firms in domestic capital markets showed higher Lag_RD, profitability (PROF) and foreign equity ownership (FOS) than their counterparts in low-growth sectors, whereas low-growth firms had higher market-value based leverage (MLEVER) and ADVERTISE. Overall, these results are expected to influence decision-making of firms concerning the optimal level of R&D expenditure, which may in turn enhance shareholder wealth.
Binary Dependent Variable Model;Global Financial Turmoil;Korean Domestic Market;KOSPI-listed Firms;Research & Development (R&D) Intensity;Static Panel Data Model
- H. Kim, "Evidence on the Optimal Level of Research & Development (R&D) Expenses for KOSPI-listed Firms in the Domestic Capital Market," Working Paper, 2017.
- Ministry of Science and ICT (2015), Report on the 2015 R&D Activities (Internet). Available From: http://www.msip.go.kr/SYNAP (accessed on Dec. 27, 2017)
- Ministry of Science and ICT (2016), Report on the 2016 R&D Activities (Internet). Available From: http://www.msip.go.kr/SYNAP (accessed on Dec. 28, 2017)
- S. Chan, K. Martin, J. Kensinger, "Corporate Research and Development Expenditures and Share Value," Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 26, pp. 255-276, 1990. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90005-K https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90005-K
- W. Baber, P. Fairfield, J. Haggard, "The Effect of Concern about Reported Income on Discretionary Spending Decisions: The Case of Research and Development," The Accounting Review, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 818-829. 1991.
- S. Perry and R. Grinaker, "Earnings Expectations and Discretionary Research and Development Spending," Accounting Horizons, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 43-51. 1994.
- L. Chan, J. Lakonishok, T. Sougiannis, "The Stock Market Valuation of Research and Development Expenditures," Journal of Finance, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 2431-2456, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00411 https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00411
- A. Everhart, W. Maxwell, A. Siddique, "An Examination of Long-term Abnormal Stock Returns and Operating Performance Following R&D Increases," Journal of Finance, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 623-650. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2004.00644.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2004.00644.x
- H. Kim, "Inter-country Comparisons on Financial Determinants of Corporate Capital Structure for Firms in the United States and the Republic of Korea," Journal of International Trade & Commerce, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 119-137, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16980/jitc.13.4.201708.119
- P. Allison, Logistic Regression Using SAS: Theory and Application (2nd ed.), p.91-96, Cary, NC: SAS Institute, 2012.
- H. Park, (2010), Practical Guides to Panel Data Analysis (Internet). Available From: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/faculty/kucc625/writing/panel_guidelines.pdf (accessed on Jan. 6, 2014)
- R. Higgins, Analysis of Financial Management (10th edition), p.209-216, McGraw-Hill, 2012.
- B. Lev and T. Sougiannis, "The Capitalization, Amortization, and Value-relevance of R&D," Journal of Accounting and Economics, vol. 21, pp. 107-138, 1996. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(95)00410-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(95)00410-6
- H. Quin, K. Zhong, Z. Zhong, "Seasoned Equity Issuers' R&D Investments: Signaling or Overoptimism," Journal of Financial Research, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 553-580, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6803.2012.01328.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6803.2012.01328.x