- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Economic Inequality in Perceived Oral Health Behavior among Adults in Korea
한국 성인의 경제적 불평등에 따른 구강건강행태
- Kim, Mi-Jeong (Department of Dental Hygiene, VISION College of Jeonju) ;
- Lim, Cha-Young (Department of Dental Hygiene, VISION College of Jeonju)
- Received : 2018.01.23
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the status of oral health behavior according to economic inequality in Korea. Raw data for the 3rd year (2015) of the 6th national health and nutrition survey were analyzed. Among surveyed individuals, adults over the age of 19 were designated as research subjects. The results indicated that a smaller 'house income' was associated with a higher supply and demand experience for basic living and a higher DMFT. Additionally, a higher DMFT was associated with a lower 'house income', lower 'education level', and the 'experience of basic living security received'. Oral health behavior inequality was caused by economic inequality. Overall, these results indicate that it is necessary for the oral health service of vulnerable groups to strengthen preventive activities through comprehensive arbitration policies regarding the social decision factors of public health projects.
DMFT Index;Economic inequality;Oral health;Oral health behavior;Oral health inequality
- Michael G, Marmot, "Status syndrome: a challenge to medicine," JAMA, vol. 295, no. 11, pp. 304-1307, March, 2006.
- The 4th Health Plan2020 Trend Report 2017, pp. 10-13, Korea Health Promotion Institute, 2016.
- H. P. Kim, "2th Trend Knowledge Dictionary," Person and ideas, pp. 289-290, 2014.
- Pine, Cynthia, Harris, Rebecca, "Community Oral Health, Second Edition," quintessence pub, pp. 253-290, 2007.
- H. H. Lee, "A study on structures of the Koreans' health inequality : focused on effects of socioeconomic status," Ph.D. dissertation, Korea University, pp. 1-283, 2015.
- W. Y. Lee, "The Role of Selected Health-Related Behaviors in the Socioeconomic Disparities in Oral Health among Adults," Korean journal of health education and promotion, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 129-140, 2009.
- B. M. Shin, S. H. Jung, "Original Arties : Socio-economic inequalities in dental caries in Korea," Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 144-152, 2012.
- Sabbah W, Tsakos G, Sheiham A, Watt RG, "The role of health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health," Social Science & Medicine, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 298-303, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.10.030 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.10.030
- Daly, Watt RG, Batchelor p, Treasure ET. "Essential Dental public Health," UK: Oxford, pp. 21-32, 2005.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, In-depth Analyses of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: The Health Interview and Health Behavior Survey Part," Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, pp. 157-179, 2007.
- S. J. Shin, Y. S. Ahn, S. H. Jung, "The relation between dental health behaviors and socioeconomic status among Korean adolescents," Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 223-230, 2008.
- Audit Commission, "Primary dental care services in england and wales," Health Briefing, 2002.
- Sheiham A, Watt RG. "The common risk factor approach: a rational basis for promoting oral health," community dent oral epidemiol, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 399-406, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.028006399.x
- Whitehead M, Dahlgren G, "Concepts and principles for tackling social inequities in health," World Health Organization 2006.
- Richard G.A, "Feachem Poverty and inequity: a proper focus for the new century," Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 1-2, 2000.
- J. W. Lee, S. L. Lee, "Economic Crisis and Income Disparity : Income Distribution and Poverty before and after the 1997 Crisis," International Economic Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 79-109, 2001.
- H. P. Moon, K. J. Yu, "Direction of future operations of unemployment and welfare measures: Focused on the Social Productivity and Labor Welfare," Korea Development Institute, 1999.
- M. S. Lee, "Health Inequalities Among Korean Adults Socioeconomic Status and Residential Area Differences," Korean Journal of Sociology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 183-209, 2005.
- Petersen PE, "Sociobehavioural risk factors in dental caries-international perspectives," community dent oral epidemiol, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 274-279, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2005.00235.x
- S. H. Jung, "The application of a new oral health strategy to overcome the oral health inequality in the Republic of Korea," National Research Foundation of Korea, pp. 35-40
- B. M. Shin, S. H. Jung, "Original Articles : Socio-economic inequalities in the self-rated oral health status of South Koreans," Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 219-227, 2012.
- D. J. Kim, S. Y. Lee, M. H. Kim, S. S. Kim, Y. M. Kim, "Developing health inequalities indicators and monitoring the status of health inequalities in Korea," korea institute for health and social affairs, seoul, pp. 44-53, 2013.
- Luchi CA, Peres KG, Bastos JL, Peres MA, "Inequalities in self rated oral health in adults," Revista de Saude Publica, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 740-791, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-8910.2013047004364 https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-8910.2013047004364
- Sanders AE, Spencer AJ, Slade GD, "Evaluating the role of dental behaviour in oral health inequalities," Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 71-79, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00261.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00261.x
- Wamala S, Merlo J, Bostrom G, "Inequity in access to dental care services explains current socioeconomic disparties in oral health: the swedish national surveys of public health 2004-2005," Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1027-1033, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2006.046896 https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2006.046896