- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and related factors in Korean middle-aged
한국 중년의 고밀도지단백(HDL) 콜레스테롤과 관련요인
- Kim, Sang-Lak (Graduate School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kam, Sin (School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Gwan (Graduate School of Public Health, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2018.01.22
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
The purpose of this study was to provide basic data to promote health in middle-aged Koreans (40-59 years old) by understanding health behaviors that affect high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol level among various health behaviors. In a national health and nutrition survey, raw data combined on a total of 7,406 persons, IV-3 (2009), V-1 (2010), V-2 (2011), V-3 (2012), and VI-1 (2013), were selected as the final analysis subjects. HDL cholesterol was divided into two groups: less than 40 mg/dl and more than 40 mg/dl. The results of multiple logistic regression analysis were as follows: OR=3.916 for males, OR=3.439 for normal than low weight, OR=7.336 for obesity than low weight, OR=1.629 for alcohol consumption, OR=1.498 for smokers, OR=1.426 for don't practice moderate physical activity, OR=1.264 for no walking exercise, OR=1.510 for carbohydrates normal intake than low intake, OR 1.787 for carbohydrates over intake than low intake when HDL cholesterol increased from 40 mg/dl to less than 40 mg/dl. Korean middle-aged high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels should be increased to maintain proper health through aerobic exercise, smoking cessation, proper drinking habits, obesity relief, healthy eating out, and healthy food choices. This requires continuous publicity and education within the community, and a social environment should be built that enables health behavior to be practiced in daily life.
HDL Cholesterol;Age Distribution;Health Behavior;Health Promotion;NHANES
- Statistics Korea : Life table, Each year, 2013.
- Lamarche B, Despres JP, Moorjani S, Cantin B, Dagenais GR, Lupien PJ., Triglycerides and HDL-cholesterol as risk factors for ischemic heart disease, Results from the Quebec ardiovascular study, therosclerosis, vol. 119, No 2, pp. 235-245, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(95)05653-X
- Brischetto CS, Connor WE, Conner WE, Conner SC, Matarazzo JD : Plasma lipid and lipoprotein profiles ofcigarette smokers from randmly selected families: Enhancement of hyperlipidemia and depression of high-densitylipoprotein, Am J Cardiol, vol. 52, pp. 675-680, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9149(83)90396-X
- OECD : Adult population smoking daily, As a percentage of adult population, 2011 or latest availabe year, 2014.
- OECD : Alcohol consumption among adults, 2000 and 2013, 2015.
- Lee HJ, Kim YS : Alcohol and dyslipidemia, Korean Society of Lipidology and Atherosclerosis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 119-134, 1994.
- KCDC, The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Presentation of Main Result, 2016.
- The Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-3), 2009, Korea Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-1), 2010, Korea Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES V-2), 2011, Korea Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-3), 2012, Korea Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1), 2011, Korea Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.
- Seoul National Universtiy Hospital, Medical Information: Hyperlipidemia - HDL, 2012. http://www.snuh.org/health/compreDis/ES01/5.do
- The Korean Nutrition Society, Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans, 2015.
- WHO, FAO : Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. WHO Technical Report Series, vol. 916, pp. 56-90, 2003.
- David Berrigan, Kevin Dodd, Richard P. Troiano, Susan M. Krebs-Smith, Racheal Ballard Barbash : Patterns of health behavior in U.S. adults, Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 615-623, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-7435(02)00067-1
- JR Kim, BD Nam, JH Kim, SK Lee, JK Moon, JH Lee, DY Hong, Physical Fitness, Leisure Time Physical Activity, and Serum Lipid Levels in Middle-Aged Male Workers, Korean J of Preventive Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 173-186, 1996.
- WHO : A guide for tobacco users to quit, WHO Library Cataloguing in Publication Data, pp. 5-6, 2014.
- JI Song, SH Yoo, JG Ryoo, The Amount of Physical Activity According to the Level of High Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in Korean Adults, Korean J Health Promotion, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 197-205, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/G704-001517.2011.11.4.003
- CH Kim, SM Lim, HS Park, Trend of Prevalence of Low HDL-Cholesterol and Related Factors in Korean Men: Using 3 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data (1998-2005), Korean J Fam Med, vol. 31, pp. 755-764, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.755
- YJ Lee : A Comparative Study on Sanitary practices and Perception of Employees in Elementary School, Hospital and Industry Food Service in the Inchon Area, J Korean Diet Assoc, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 22-31, 2003.
- MG Kim, KY Kim, HM Nam, NS Hong, YM Lee, The relationship between lifestyle and sodium intake in Korean middle-aged workers, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2923-2929, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2923 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2923
- YS Suh, JH Kang, HS Kim, YJ CHung, Comparison of Nutritional Status of the Daejeon Metropolitan Citizens by Frequency of Eating Out, Korean J Nutr, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 171-180, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.171 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.171
- HN Choi, Assessment of quantitative and qualitativa effect of acarborhydrate intake on Low HDL-cholesterol in Korean audlts, Master degree thesis, Graduation School of Seoul National University, 2012.