- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on Acculturation of School-aged Immigrant Adolescents and Policy Support in Busan
부산지역 학령기 중도입국청소년의 문화적응과 지원방안 탐색
- Cho, Hyoung-Sook (Department of English Education, Seowon University)
- 조형숙 (서원대학교 영어교육과)
- Received : 2018.01.29
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
Current support policies for multicultural families translate the focus on educating multicultural children from the initial adjustment of foreign-born brides. By contrast with Korean-born biracial/biethnic children of international couples, foreign-born immigrant children suffer linguistic and cultural differences. This study explores the acculturational difficulties and needs of school-aged immigrant adolescents in Busan Metropolitan city and suggests policies to meet their needs. Seventeen participants, including immigrant adolescents, immigrant parents, in-school service providers and out-school service providers, were recruited, and focus-group interviews were conducted. The major themes show that school-aged immigrant adolescents suffer from cultural/racial differences, different naming practices, linguistic differences, and age gaps. In addition, the study participants strongly call for KSL education, academic mentoring programs, career education, and education for multicultural understanding. This study suggests that future policies should be designed to support immigrant adolescents based on a diversity model beyond assimilationist approaches of adeficitmodel.
Immigrant Adolescents;Acculturation;Deficit Model;Diversity Model;Busan Metropolitan City
- K. S. Jun, E. J. Lee. "A Research on Current Status of Immigrant Children of Multicultural Family and Suggestions for Policy Support Measures," Gyeonggi-do Family & Women's Research Institute. 2012.
- J. J. Jung, K. M. Yang. "Recent Developments in acculturation theories," Korean Journal of Psychology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 101-136. 2004.
- R. Redfield, R. Linton, M. J. Herskovits. "Memorandum for the study of acculturation," American Anthropologist, vol. 38, pp. 149-152. 1936. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/aa.1936.38.1.02a00330 https://doi.org/10.1525/aa.1936.38.1.02a00330
- J. W. Berry. "Conceptual approaches to acculturation" In K. M. Chun, P. B. Organista, G. Marin (Eds.), "Acculturation: Advances in theory, measurement, and applied research," (pp. 17-37). American Psychological Association: Washington, D.C. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/10472-004
- H. S. Cho. "A Multiple-Case Study on Initial Adjustment Support Program for Foreign-born Immigrant Children," Korean Association for Learner-centered Curriculum and Instruction, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 625-645.
- S. O. Park. "A case study on the early adaptation program for the midway youth immigrants: Its administration and development plan," Korean Association for Multicultural Education, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 83-105.
- S. Castles, M. J. Miller. "The age of migration: International population movements in the modern world," NY: Guilford Press. 2003.
- C. Bennett, "Comprehensive multicultural education(6th edition). Boston: Pearson. 2007.
- D. L. Sills. "International encyclopedia of the social sciences," New York: Macmillan/Free Press. 1968.
- H. S. Cho. "Race, Language, and Identities of Biracial Children in Multicultural Schools in South Korea," Doctoral dissertation of the University of Florida. 2015.
- J. A. Banks. "Approaches to Multicultural Curriculum Reform," Multicultural Leader, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 1-3. 1988.
- G. Gay. "Culturally Responsive Teaching Theory, Research, and Practice," New York: Teachers College press. 2000.
- G. Gay. "Preparing for Culturally Responsive Teaching," Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 106-116. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487102053002003
- H. E. Jang. "Intercultural Education: An Educational Alternative in Multicultural Societies" GyoyookGwahaksa. 2014.
- D. A. Harmon. "Culturally Responsive Teaching through a Historical Lens: Will History Repeat Itself?" Interdisciplinary Journal of Teaching and Learning, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 12-22. 2012.
- J. A. Banks. "An Introduction to Multicultural Education(2nd Edition)" Boston: Allyn & Bacon. 1999.
- H. Y. Jo, K. M. Yang. "A Exploring Study on the Educational Situation and Career Expectation of Youth Migrants in Korea," Journal of Youth Welfare, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 141-168, 2012.
- K.M. Yang, M. J. Yoon, H. O. Shin, H. I. Choi, J. U. Han, "A longitudinal study of multicultural adolescents for supporting policies," National Youth Policies Institute, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2872334