- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influence of Nursing Students' Stress and Self Esteem on Subjective Happiness
간호학생의 스트레스, 자아존중감이 주관적 행복감에 미치는 영향
- Park, Mi-Sook (Department of Nursing, Korea National University of Transportation)
- 박미숙 (한국교통대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.03.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to identify factors influencing subjective happiness among nursing students. Participants consisted of 147 nursing students who were in the third and fourth years at two universities located in the Chungbuk and Kyungbuk provinces. Data were collected using questionnaires that looked at college-based stress, clinical-based stress, self-esteem, and subjective happiness from September 26 to October 29, 2016. Collected data were analyzed using the SPSS 22.0 statistics program with descriptive statistics, an independent t-test, analysis of variance (ANOVA), Scheffe's test, and hierarchical regression. The mean score for subjective happiness was 19.91 (range: 4 to 28). The mean for college-based stress was 2.92, and clinical-based stress was 2.61 (range: 1 to 5). The mean for self-esteem was 29.74 (range: 10 to 40). The significant predictors of subjective happiness in nursing students were self-esteem (p<.001), economic status (p=.002), interpersonal relationships (p=.001), and satisfaction with their major (p=.003). The explanatory power of variance was 68%, with self-esteem serving as the major predictor variable for subjective happiness. Therefore, we need various strategies that can enhance self-esteem, satisfaction with the major, and interpersonal relationships in order to improve nursing students' subjective happiness.
Clinical Based Stress;College Based Stress;Nursing Students;Self Esteem;Subjective Happiness
Supported by : 한국교통대학교
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang. "Stress, depression, coping s tyles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 16, N0.1, 14-23. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- J. K. Kim. "A review study on nursing students' stress for improvement of nursing education," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, N0.1, 47-59. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.47
- S. Y. Park. "The affection of self-efficacy and self esteem on the college life adjustment," Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- M. J. Jo."The factors related to happiness among nursing students," J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 182-190, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.182 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.182
- E. Y. Kim. "The relationship between ego-identity, university life adjustment and employment strategy of university students," Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University. Jinju, 2009.
- W. C. Campton. An introduction to positive psychology. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth, 2005.
- G. Y. Jo. "The effects of 'Becoming Happy I'program on Gratitude Disposition, Self-Esteem, Flow, and Subjective Happiness for Nursing Students," Doctoral thesis, Catholic University of Daegu. Daegu. 2011.
- B. L. Fredrickson. "The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, vol. 359, pp. 1367-1377, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2004.1512 https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2004.1512
- D. Danner, D. Snowdon, W. Friesen. "Positive emotions in early life and longevity: Finding from the nun study," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 80, pp. 804-813, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1244 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1994
- H. S. Park. "Stress, yangsaeng and subjective happiness among female undergraduate nursing students in the Republic of Korea," J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 471-481, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.471 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.471
- http://new.chosun.com)/site/data/html.dir/2017/05/02/2017050200141.html(accessed Mar., 3, 2017).
- S. O. Kim. "The effects of self-efficacy and positive thinking on subjective happiness of nursing students," Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 435-444, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.435
- J. H. Kim, H. O. Jeon. "Factors influencing subjective happiness in nursing students: Focused on psycho-social factors, J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 123-132. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.2.123 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.2.123
- G. Y. Jo, H. S. Park. "Predictors of subjective happiness for nursing students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 160-169, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160
- K. H. Jo. "Perception of undergraduate nursing students toward happiness: A Q-methodological approach," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 17, no. 2, pp178-189, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.178 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.178
- K. S. Han, G. M. Kim. "Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student. Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol16, pp. 78-84, 2007.
- W. H. Jun, K. S. Cha, K. L. Lee.(2015). Factors affecting subjective well-being in nursing students. J of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 21(2), 276-284, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.276 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.276
- Y. K. Yang, K. S. Han, M. H. Bae, S. H. Yang. " Social support, academic stress, clinical practice stress in college student of nursing," The Korean Journal of Stress Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 23-33, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.1.23
- Rosenberg, M. "Society and the adolescent self-emage" Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1965. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
- S. J. Lee, J. S. J. Lee, J. H. Yu. "The meditation effect of Self-efficacy between academic and career stress and adjustment to college," Korean Educational Psychology Association, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 589-607, 2008.
- K. B. Byeon. "Study on the relationship of self control, self esteem, and subjective well-being," Unpublished master's thesis, Konyang University, Nonsan, 2005.
- S. H. Lee, B. Y. Chung, S. H. Kim, "Influence on subjective happiness of university Students," Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 115-126, April, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.115 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.115
- S. J. Whang. "The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self esteem of nursing college students," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 12, pp. 205-213, 2006.
- M. H. Nam, M. R. Lee. "Factors influence subjective happiness index of health behavior, self esteem and major satisfaction nursing students, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 363-374, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.363 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.363
- Y. C. Kwon, C. Y. Jeong, Y. S. Seo. "Validation of a path model for subjective happiness of nursing students," Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 197-206, 2018 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.1.197
- S. H. Kim, S.H. Lee. "The influence of job seeking stress, career decision-making self-efficacy, self-esteem and academic achievement on nursing students' happiness', Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 27, N0.1, pp. 63-72, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.1.63
- E. M., Kim, Y. H. Yang, H. Y. Lee M. Yu. "Factors influencing subjective happiness in Korean nursing students," J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 294-303, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.294 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.294
- B. J. Jeon. "Self-esteem: A test of it's measurability," Yonsei Research Institute, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 107-130, 1974.
- J. S. Yoo, S. J. Chang, E. K. Choi, J. W. Park, "Development of a stress scale for Korean Nursing Students," J Korean Acad Nurs, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 410-419, June, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410
- S. Lyubomirsky, H. S. Lepper. "A measure of subjective happiness: preliminary reliability and construct validation," Social indicators Research, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 137-155, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041
- S. J. Lim. "The relationship of a self-enhancement bias, life events and subjective well-being in old-adults," Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul. 2004.