- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Latent Class Analysis for adolescent's dependence on smartphone : Mediation Effects of self-determination in the Influence of neglect to adolescent's dependence on smartphone
청소년의 스마트폰의존 변화유형분석과 방임이 자기결정성을 매개로 스마트폰의존에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Keung-Eun (School of Social Welfare, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Yeum, Dong-Moon (Dept. of Social Welfare, Changsin University)
- Received : 2018.01.10
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study analyzed the latent profile for identifying the difference in the dependence on smartphone use among middle school students in the 1st grade using the Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey (KCYPS). From the result of this study, first the latent class was separated according to the type of dependence on smartphone use. Class 1 included the students (from fifth grade in elementary school) whose level of reliance on smartphone use was low. Class 2 was selected as the group whose level of reliance on smartphone was high. Secondly, in comparing class 2 to class 1, it was found that the students who have a high probability of being in class 1 were those whose fathers are high achievers, have high early self-esteem and less age attachment. Thirdly, the students in class 1 had a higher sense of neglect than those in class 2. Furthermore, the self-determination of the students in class 2 mediated the effect of neglect on the adolescents' dependence on smartphone use both directly and indirectly.
adolescence;growth mixture modeling;neglect;self-determination;smart phone dependency
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- National Information Society Agency, The results of the Internet addiction survey, 2015.
- HiYang Kang, ChangHo Park, "Development and Validation of the Smartphone Addiction Inventory," Korean Journal of Psychology: Genera, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 563-580, 2012.
- Jin-young Kim, "Effect of Smart-phone addiction on school resilience in elementary school students," Journal of Transactional Analysis & Counseling, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 63-79, 2013.
- Yeji Kwon, EunYeong Na, "The Influence of Parent Communication on Smartphone Dependency in Adolescents - Focused on the Mediation Effect of Self-Control," Journal of communication research, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 80-113, 2017.
- Kitae Kim, Hyunjoo Lee and Shin-Il Moon, "Exploring the Effects of Network Size, Usage Behaviors, and Assimilation for Peer Relations on Adolescents' Smartphone Addiction Symptoms," Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 5-40, 2016.
- NaRae Aum, "Adolescent Smartphone and Parental Support," Journal of Parent Education. regular conference., vol. 18., pp. 13-42, 2017.
- Choongrai Nho, Soyoun Kim, "The effects of parenting attitudes on adolescents' smartphone dependency: The mediating effects of adolescents' depression and aggression," Studies on Korean Youth, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 87-114, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2016.27.4.87
- Su Jung Woo, "Original Articles : The Effects of Parental Abuse and Neglect, and Children's Peer Attachment, on Mobile Phone Dependency," Family and Environment Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 583-590, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2013.51.6.583 https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2013.51.6.583
- Au Ri Lee, Kang Yi Lee, "The effects of parental factors, friend's factors, and psychological factors on the addictive mobile phone use of children," The Journal of Child Education, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 27-39, 2012.
- Pyung Hwa Jung, Choong Rai Nho, Kyeong Sun, Lee, Min Hyeon Sung, Jae Duck Song, "Mediating Effects of Depression and Aggression on the Association between Child Abuse and Neglect and Cell Phone Addiction," Journal of the Korean society of child welfare Volume, Issue47, pp. 93-123, 2014.
- Stattin, H., & Kerr, M. "Parental monitoring: A reinterpretation," Child Development, Vol. 71, pp. 1072-1085, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00210 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00210
- Hyo-Jung Kim, Hyun-Sook Ahn, Dong-Man Lee. "A Study on the Self-determination Factors' Effects on Internet Addiction and Information Ethics : Focusing on Game and Information Search Types. The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Resarch, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 207-228, 2013.
- Kwang-il KiM, "The Effect of Adolescents's Lifd Satisfaction on Game Addiction: Mediating Effect of Self-Determination," Master's Degree in Gyeongsang National University graduate. 2013.
- Yeong-Seon Jo, "The Relation between Attachment and Internet Addiction in Middle School Students: The Mediating Effects of Basic Psychological Needs," A Thesis of Master's Degree at Sungshin Women's University. 2014.
- So cheon Jang, "The Relationship between Middle School Students' Insecure Attachment and Internet Addiction Tendency," Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School Master's Degree Thesis. 2014.
- Sang-phil Jang, Jee-il Kim, "Longitudinal Investigation on Casual Relationship between Smart-Literacy and Smart-Phone Addiction in University Students," The Journal of Educational Research, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 67-90, 2013.
- Ho-Kyoung Shin, MinSeok Lee, HeungGook Kim, "An Empirical Study on Mobile Usage Behavior - Focusing on Smartphone Usage Addiction," Informatization policy, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 50-68.
- National Information Society Agency, 2011. A Study on the Development of Smartphone Addiction Diagnosis Scale.
- Byoung-Nyun Kim, "Effect of Smart-phone Addiction on Youth's Sociality Development," Journal of The Korea contents association, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 208-217, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.208
- Eun Young Kim, Shin Il Im, "The Recognition of the Youth about the Symptoms of Smartphone Overus," Korean journal of youth studies, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 255-279. 2014.
- Yong-Min Park, "A Study on Adults' Smart Phone Addiction and Mental Health," Thesis for Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology, Graduate School of Peace Security and Counseling Psychology, Sangji University. 2011.
- Eun Young Na, "A Study on the Media Attributes of Mobile Phone Communication Affecting Mobile Phone Adoption," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 189-228, 2001.
- ChongAe Bae, "A study on the relationship of smart phone addiction of adolescent and the self-esteem," Major in Adolescent Education The Graduate School of Education Choubuk National University. 2014.
- Jinyong Jeong, "A study on mobile phone addiction of the high school students," Hallym University Graduate School of Public Health Graduate Thesis. 2005.
- Don Kyou Yang, Young Sik Lim. "The Effects of Social Supporter on the Adolescent's Problem Behaviors," The Korean Journal of culture and social Issues, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 55-74, 1998.
- Kraut, R., Patterson, M., Lundmark, V. "Internet Paradox: A Social Technology That Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-Being?," American Psychologist. 53. 1017-1031. 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.53.9.1017 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.53.9.1017
- Seongil Hwang, "Study on ecological factors affecting adolescent smart phone addiction," Chosun University Master's Thesis. 2012.
- JoungAe Woo, SungBong Kim, "Phenomenological investigation of stress of mothers who get children with trend of Internet, smartphone addiction," korea Journal of Counseling, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 865-885, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.2.201404.865
- Lenhart, A., Kahne, J., Middaugh, E., MacGill, A., Evans, C., & Mitak, J. 2008. "Teens, video games and civics: Teens gaming experiences are diverse and include significant social ineraction and civic engagement," Retrieved 10/2/08from: http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/263/report_dis play.asp.
- Yee, N. "Motivations for play in online games." CyberPsychology & behavior, 9(6): 772-775, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.772 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.772
- Hye-In Lee, "A Study on the Use of Smart Phone and Social Capital : The Effect of usage motivation and degree of usage in smart phone on Social capital," Master's Thesis, Graduate School Soongsil University. 2012.
- Yun-ji Seong, "The Impact of the Alienation on Smart-phone Overuse among Youth - the moderating effects of parent attachment and peer attachment -," Department of Social Welfare The Graduate School, Catholic University of Daegu, 2013.
- HyeSoon Kim, SangHae Byun, "Impact of Smartphone Addiction of Adolescents Peer Relationships, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 117-125, 2015.
- DongHa Kim, "A Longitudinal Study on Risk and Protective Factors Influencing Internet Use time of Early Adolescents," Journal of Youth Welfare, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 137-157, 2017.
- D. M. Yeum. Latent Profile Analysis on Smart Phone Dependence of Elementary School Students," Journal of Rehabilitation Welfare Engineering & Assistive Technology, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 107-114, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21288/RESKO.2017.11.2.107
- JaeHwan Kwon, EunHee Lee, "Predicting Game Addiction in Adolescents: An Application of Discriminant Function Analysis," THE KOREAN JOURNAL OF HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 95-112. 2005.
- NaYoung Kim, HaeWon Shim, "Effects of Parental Child-rearing Attitude Perceived by Elementary School Students and Students' School Life Satisfaction on Internet Addiction," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 125-147, 2012.
- ByoungNyun Kim, HongIl Choi, "Effects of Study Overprotective Parent's Raising Attitude University Student's Smartphone-Addiction: The Mediating Effects of Self-control," Social Science Research Review, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1-25, 2013.
- Min Za Cho.. 2011. "The Effect of Self-Regulation Ability on Self-Esteem and Depression in Adolescents," Korean Youth Facilities and Environment Society Conference, Vol. 1: 207-214. 2011.
- Hanlk Jo, "The Effect of Elementary School Students' Perceived Parenting Attitude and Internet Use Motives on Internet Addiction: Self-Control as a Mediator," Journal of Adolescent Welfare, vol. 13, no. 4, 269-287. 2011.
- Youngah Ah, "The moderate effect of internet evvironment factors to influence on inernet addiction in adolescents," Department of Social Welfare Graduate School Silla University, a doctoral dissertation 2010.
- Deci, E. L., & Vansteenkiste, M. "Self-determination theory and basic need satisfaction: Understanding human development in positive psychology." Ricerchedi Psicologia, 27(1): pp. 23-40, 2004.
- Rosh, G., Assor, A., Niemiec, C. P., Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. 2009. "The emotional and academic consequences of parental conditional regard: Comparing conditional positive regard, conditional negative regard, and autonomy support as parenting practices," Developmental Psychology, 45, pp. 1119-1142, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a00152 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015272
- MinSun Jung, HyunMl Kim, HyounYong Kwon, "The Mediating Effect of Stress Management on the Association of Satisfaction of Basic Psychological Needs and Internet Addiction among Adolescents," The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 159-174, 2012.
- Jae Yop Kim. Hyun Joo Hwang. "The Effects of Child Abuse on Adolescents' Smartphone Addiction -Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Depression and Gender Differences-," Journal of the Korean society of child welfare., vol. 53, pp. 105-133, 2016.
- Si Hyung Lee, Hak Su Kim, Eun Young Na, "A Study on the use and influence of mobile phone in adolescents," Seoul: Samsung Life Insurance Foundation Social Mental Health Institute. 2002.
- MyoYeon Huh, "The study for the development and validation of 'parenting behavior inventory' perceived by adolescent," Dept, Psychology The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University. doctorate thesis, 2000.
- Se-won Kim, "The effect of social support on abused children's adjustment," Seoul National University A master's thesis. 2003.
- SeongHui Jeon, "Validation of the Korean adolescent's basic psychological need scale," Sookmyung Women's University graduate thesis, 2014.
- Jaeki Kwon, "Classification of school types and longitudinal changes depending on changes in general high schools with under achievement students," Educational Evaluation Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1037-1066, 2013.
- Rosenberg, M. Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1965. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
- Armsden, G., & Greenberg, M. T. The Inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment: Individual differences and their relation to psychological well-being in adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, vol. 16, pp. 427-454, 1987. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02202939
- Nagin, D. S. Group-based modeling of development. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4159/9780674041318
- Muthen, B. O. "Latent variable analysis: Growth mixture modeling and related techniques for longitudinal data," In D. Kaplan (Ed.), Handbook of quantitative methodology for the social sciences (pp. 345-368). CA: SAGE, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412986311.n19
- Hye-Guem Kim, "Original Article : The Effect of Perceived Parental Abuse and Neglect and Peer Attachment on School Life Adjustment according to Children's Gender," Journal of Korean Home Economics, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 11-19, 2014.
- JI-Hye Lee, "The relation of between basic psychological needs satisfaction in reality and internet overuse," Pusan National University Master's Thesis. 2012.
- Ju OH, "A Study on the Major Factors to Teenagers' Addiction to Smart-Phone," The Welfare Administration, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 47-76, 2014.
- Young Koo Hyun, "Development and Effects of a Prevention Program for Cell Phone Addiction in Middle School Students. Child Health Nursing Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 91-99. 2011.
- Kyung-In Kwon, Seung-Nin Park, Eun-young Jeon, Jeong-yeon Yang, "The Development and Effects of Parents-Child Participatory Group Counseling Programs for the Prevention of Elementary School Age Internet Addition," The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 57-85, 2012.
- Hye-on Kim, Seong-Hye Kim, "The Effect of the Reality Therapy Group Counseling Program on the Improvement of Self-Esteem, Internal Control, and Addictive Internet Use of the Internet-Addicted Elementary School Students," Journal of Education Research, vol. 18:, pp. 11-22, 2006.
- Saerom Park, Boram No, Jungmin Lee, "The Relationship between the Trajectory of Change of Cell Phone Dependence and Parenting Style, Peer Attachment, Learning Habits and Internalization Problems in Adolescence. The 6th Korea Children and Youth Panel Conference.
- Nam Young-Ok, Lee Sang-June, "Risk and Protective Factors, and Mental Health in Youth's Internet Addiction by the Addiction Types," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 195-222, 2005.
- Doo-ri Song, "The Influence of Parent Attachment and Peer Attachment on Adolescents' Excessive Use of Smart Phone," Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Education, Chungnam National University. 2013.
- Hye-sun Lee, "The Relationship among the Overuse of Cellular Phones, Attachment and Behavioral Problems in Middle Schoolers," Thesis for Master's Degree in Seoul Women's University. 2007.
- Dong-Man Kim, Chul-Hyun Lee, "Phenomenological Approach of Overindulgence SmartphonesExperience in Elementary Student," Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, vol. 1, pp. 151-151, 2015.
- Sung Kyung Yoo, Hae Won Shim, "Psychological Protective Factors in Resilient Adolescents in Korea," The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 189-206, 2002.