- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Interest in Smoking Cessation and Its Related Factors in Male Smokers
남성 흡연자의 금연에 대한 관심도 및 관련 요인
- Shin, Taek-Soo (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Lim, Young-A (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between interest in smoking cessation and factors that define this interest. The study subjects were 593 male civil servants who work at D metropolitan city and were smokers at the time of the survey. The research method was a survey using a self-administered questionnaire in October 2015. Interest in smoking cessation of study subjects showed that 28.3% had no interest in smoking cessation, 45.7% were interested in smoking cessation, but had no intention to quit within six months, and 26.0% were interested in smoking cessation and intended to quit within six months. Multiple regression analysis revealed that the factors influencing interest in smoking cessation with explanatory powers of 23.6% were employment type, age when first starting smoking, number of cigarettes smoked per day, time from when you wake up until you smoke your first cigarette, recognition of susceptibility to lung cancer, and benefits to smoking cessation. Logistic regression analysis revealed that the odds ratio of recognition of susceptibility for lung cancer, benefits to smoking cessation, and barriers to smoking cessation were significantly increased in the group with interest in smoking cessation and intention to quit within six months vs. the group with no interest in smoking cessation. Taken together, these results suggest that cancer prevention due to smoking and awareness of the seriousness of health problems caused by smoking were factors increasing interest in smoking cessation.
Health Belief Model;Health behavioral factor;Interest in smoking cessation;Lung cancer;Smoker
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2014 : Korea Health and nutrition Examination Survey, 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, gallup Korea. 2015 Adult Tobacco Quick Survey. 2015.
- Fiore MC, Bailey WC, Cohen SJ, et al. Treating tobacco use and dependence. Clinical Practice Guideline. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Service. June, 2000.
- Jo EJ, Kim NY, The related factors of adolescent smoker's cancer preventive behaviors Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(8):1-9, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.1
- Doll R, Peto R, Boreham J, Sutherland I. Mortality in relation to smoking: 50 years observation on male british doctors. BMJ 328:1519-1528. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38142.554479.AE https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38142.554479.AE
- Rosenstock IM. Why people use health service? Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly, 44:94-127. 1966. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3348967 https://doi.org/10.2307/3348967
- Becker MH. Maiman LA. Sociobehavioral determinants of compliance with health and medical care recommendations. Med Care, 13:10-24. 1975. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197501000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197501000-00002
- Hanson JA, Benedict JA. Use of the health belief model to examine older adults' food-handling behaviors. J Nutr Educ Behav, 34 Suppl 1:S25-30. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-4046(06)60308-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-4046(06)60308-4
- Sitnik K, Trzcieniecka-Green A, Jakubowski D. Patients' opinioms about the reasons for their heart attacks in the context of their health belief models - a preliminary report. Wiad Lek. 56(9-10):442-448. 2003.
- Rhodes SD, Hergenrather KC. Using an integrated approach to understand vaccination behavior among young man who have sex with men: stage of change, the health belief model, and self-efficacy. J Community Health, 28(5):347-362. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025444629753 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025444629753
- Juniper KC, Oman RF, Hamm RM, et al. The relationships among constructs in the health belief model and the trans theoretical model among African-American college women for physical activity. Am J Health Promot, 18(5):354-357. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-18.5.354 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-18.5.354
- Roden J. Revisting the health belief model: nurses applying it to young families and their health promotion needs. Nurs Health Sci, 6(1):1-10. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2003.00167.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2003.00167.x
- Munakata K. Health and Disease in Behavioral Science. Medical Friend Co, Japan, Tokyo, 99-144. 1987.
- Lee KJ, Chang CJ, Kim MS, Lee MH, Cho YH. Factors associated with success of smoking cessation during 6 months. J Korean Acad Nurs, 36(5):742-750, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.742 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.742
- Lee ES, Seo HK. The factors associated with successful smoking cessation in Korea. J Korea Acad Fam Med, 28:39-44, 2007.
- Lee MS, Hong GM, Hwang HJ, Bae SH. The factors associated with success of smoking after a 6 month cessation at smoking cessation clinic in public health center of one metropolitan city. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 1(1):31-39, 2010.
- Lee SJ, Park SH, Kim CH, Lee DH, Kim KH, Leem GH, Jeon SH, Heo YS. The relationship between job stress and the will cease tobacco smoking for small and medium scale industry male workers. Korea J Occup Environ Med. 24(1):33-39, 2012.
- Yoon HS, Ahn KS, Cho YC. Relationship between job stress contents and smoking habits in manufacturing male workers. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(3): 2047-2054, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2047
- Shin US, Cho YC. Relationship between job stress and smoking behaviors among small scale manufacturing male workers. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(12): 8509-8515, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8509
- Ueda K, Nakamura M, Shirokawa N, et al. The relationship between stages and biochemical markers of smoking workplace-based cross-sectional and longitudinal studies. Japanese J Public Health 47(9):783-791. 2000.
- Wallac LS. Osteoporosis prevention in college women: application of the expended health belief model. Am J Health Issues, 12(3):122-128. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1049-3867(02)00132-9
- Koch J. The role of exercise in the African-American women with type 2 diabetes mellitus: application of the health belief model. J Am Acad Nurse Pract 14(3):126-129. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2002.tb00103.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2002.tb00103.x
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG et al. G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and science. Behav Res Methods, 39(2):175-191, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, Fairhurst SK et al. The process of smoking cession.: An analysis of pre-contemplation, contemplation, and preparation stages of change. J Consult Clin Psychol, 59(2):295-304. 1991. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.59.2.295
- Becker MH, et al. Scales for measuring health belief model dimensions: a test of predictive value, internal consistency, and relationship among beliefs. Health Educ Monogr, 5:215-230. 1977. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/109019817700500303 https://doi.org/10.1177/109019817700500303
- Shinmura H, Kayaba K, Kunisawa N, et al. A nationwide survey of municipalities policy for smoking control and its implementation in relation to its priority grading by public health officers. Jpn J Public Health, 2004;51(9):814-821.
- Suzuki J, Nakaide K, Nakamura Y, Kanetaka K, et al. Predictors of abstinence from smoking among participants in a smoking cessation program in a health center in Japan. Jpn J Public Health, 53(3):187-195. 2006.
- Nakazawa A, Shigeta M, Ozasa K. Smoking cigarettes of low nicotine yield does not reduce nicotine intake as expected: a study of nicotine dependency in Japanese males. BMC Public Health, 4(1);4-28. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-4-28 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-4-4
- Masumoto T, Ozasa K, Fukui K et al. Health behavioral factors related to the attitude toward quit-smoking among factory workers. Jpn J Public Health, 52(5):375-386. 2005.
- Kim LH, Park KS, Chun HR, Samuel Noh. Smoking rate of workers according to employment status and industry:1992-2006. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 28(4):15-25, 2011.
- Yoo GH. The effects of anti-smoking policy in workplace on successful smoking cessation. Graduate School of Public Health Inje University, Doctor's thesis, 2012.
- Kim SR, Kim OK, Yun KE, Kang YH, Hong JC. Socioeconomic factors associated with initiating and quitting cigarette smoking among Korea men. Korean J Fam Med. 30:415-425, 200
- Kim MS. Predictors of smoking cessation among enrolled smokers in smoking-sessation of health centers. Graduate School of Chosun University, Doctor's thesis, 2008.
- Kim JS, Lim SH, Lee DO, Sung NJ, Park KH. Smoking types and smoking cessation rate. J Korea Acad Fam Med, 25:388-391, 2004.
- Kim SY. Adult's health behaviors according to their sages for the success of smoking cessation. Graduate School of Public Health & Social Welfare Sahmyook University, Master's thesis, 2007
- Park SA. Development and evaluation of a smoking cessation program based on the theory of planned behavior for female college student smokers. Granduate School of Nursing Keimyung University, Doctor's thesis, 2006.
- Jeon YO. Factors associated with success of smoking cessation at smoking-cessation clinic of a urban public health center. Graduate School of Magor in Preventive Medicine & Medical Science, Chung-Ang University, Doctor's thesis, 2006.
- Paek YJ. The efficacy of providing health risk appraisal for smoking cessation in Koreans. Graduate School of Public Health Catholic University, Doctor's thesis, 2011.
- Lee PH. Validation of transtheoretical model on smoking cessation in Koreans adults. Graduate School of Nursing Chobuk National University, Doctor's thesis, 2014.
- Moon IS. The effect of the smoking-cessation education program to the solider' smoking knowledge, attitude, and the change of the smoking-cessation behavior. Graduate school of Health Science and Management Yonsei University, Master's thesis, 2002.
- Kim HO. Effect of a smoking cessation program on the stop-smoking rate and nicotine dependency for the adult smoker. The J. of Korean Community Nursing, 13(1):5-16, 2002.
- Kim HS, Bae SS. Factors associated with relapse to smoking behavior using health belief model. J Agric Med Community Health, 36(2):87-100, 20111. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.2.087 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.2.087
- Jung JS. A study on differences in impacts of generations and smokng characteristics on the intent to smoke: with a focus on the theory of planned behavior. Health Communication Research, 8: 1-39. 2013.