- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Association of Physical and Mental Function with Quality of Life among the Elderly at Care Facilities
요양시설 노인의 신체적 및 정신적 기능과 삶의 질과의 관련성
- Lim, Young-A (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Shin, Taek-Soo (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between physical function (ADL, IADL) and mental function (depression, cognitive dysfunction) and quality of life in the elderly. The subjects of this study were 524 elderly people aged 65 or older who were admitted to 15 care facilities located in D metropolitan city. Data were collected through a personal interview conducted by interviewers that visited each care facility from November 2015 to January 2016. T-tests and ANOVA were used to compare the quality of life score for each independent variable, while multiple regression was used to determine the explanatory power of independent variables that affected quality of life. Quality of life was significantly lower among those of older age, lower educational level, living alone, with lower relationships with children, lower subjective health status, disability, lower ability for mastication, without regular eating habits, without regular exercise, and without regular health checkups. In addition, quality of life was significantly lower in the ADL and IADL, as well as among those with a higher depression level and lower cognitive impairment scores than their respective counterparts. The results of this study suggest that the quality of life among elderly that have been admitted to care facilities is significantly related to physical and mental functions as well as demographic characteristics, health status and health related behavioral characteristics.
Elderly;Quality of life;Activities of daily living;Instrumental activities of daily living;Depression;Cognitive dysfunction
- National Statistical Office. Statistics of Residence Registration Population in 2014, 2015.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Health behaviors and chronic disease statistics. Chronic Disease Investigation Team, Disease Control Division; 2006.
- Lee KJ, Park HS. A study on the perceived health status, depression, and activities of daily living for the elderly in urban areas. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 12(3), pp. 221-230, 2006.
- Bae NK, Song YS, Shin ES, CHO YC. Status of Physical and Mental Function and, Its Related Factors Among the Elderly People Using from Long-Term Care Insurance Service. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 13(12), pp. 5976-5985, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5976 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5976
- Beswick AD, Rees K, Dieppe P, Ayis S, Gooberman-Hill R, Horwood J, Ebrahim S. Complex interventions to improve physical function and maintain in dependent living in elderly people : A Systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet, 371(9614), pp. 725-735, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60342-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60342-6
- Lim YA, Cho YC. Covariance structure analysis of the influence of social support, physical and mental health status on quality of life among the elderly at care facilities. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 18(8):210-220, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.210 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.210
- Baik OM. Factors associated with functional health outcomes in community-dwelling older adults-Applying andersen's revised model. Journal of the Korea Association of community welfare, 38: 1-27, 2011.
- Kim HS. Park JY, Kwon IS, Cho YC. Quality of life and its association with physical and mental function in the elderly people affiliated with long-term care insurance services. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 11(10), pp. 3808-3819, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3808 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.10.3808
- Brenda LP, John WW, James RB, Tracey H, Sophiya B. Systematic review: factors associated with risk for and possible prevention of cognitive decline in later life. Ann Intern Med, 153(3), pp. 182-193, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-153-3-201008030-00258 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-153-3-201008030-00258
- Shin ES, Cho YC. Cognitive Function and Its Related Factors Among the Elderly People Affiliated with Long-term Care Insurance Services in Rural Areas. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 12(10):4493-4501, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4493 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.10.4493
- Magilvy JK. Quality of life hearing impaired older women. Nurs Res, 34(3), pp. 140-144, 1985. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198505000-00003
- Kang LG. The effects of related factors on quality of life for the elderly. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 26(5), pp. 129-142, 2008.
- Yang SO, Cho HR, Lee SH. A Comparative Study on Influencing Factors of Health Related Quality of Life of the Elderly in Senior Center by Region : Focus on Urban and Rural Areas. Journal of the Korea Digital Convergence, 12(1), pp. 501-510, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2014.12.1.501
- Kim JI. Prediction of Quality of Life among the Elderly at Care Facilities for the Elderly according to Health States, Physical and Cognitive Functions, and Social Supports-Focused on D Metropolitan City. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 16(7), pp. 4656-4667, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4656 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4656
- Kim YJ. Neighbourhood environmental factors enhancing the quality of life among urban elderly population : focused on the independent living ability and the social support. Graduated School of Seoul University, Doctor's Thesis, 2012.
- Park JH. The influence of social support on senior quality of life : mediated effect of self-efficacy using SEM. Graduated School of Kangwon University, Doctor's Thesis, 2015.
- Nam SK, Shim OS. A study on the influence factors on quality of life of elderly with chronic disease. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 53:239-259, 2011.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and science. Behav Res Methods, 39(2), pp. 175-191, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Katz S. Studies of illness in the aged: the Index of ADL: A standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function. J Am Med Assoc, 185, pp. 914-919, 1963. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016
- Pfeiffer E. Multidimensional functional assessment: the OARS methodology. A manual. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, 1975.
- Weissman MM, Locke BZ. Comparison of a self-report symptom rating scale(CES-D) with standardized depression rating scales in psychiatric populations. Am J Epidemiol, 102, pp. 430-431, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112183
- Folstein MF, Folstein SE, McHugh PR. Mini-mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res, 12, pp. 189-198, 1975. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Park JH, Kwon YC. Part I : Development of the test for the elderly=Korean Version of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K). Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 28(1), pp. 125-131, 1989.
- The WHOQOL Group. Development of the world health organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment. Psychol Med, 28, pp. 551-558, 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006667 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006667
- Min SK, Lee CI, Kim KI, et al. Development of Korean version of WHO quality of life scale abbreviated version(WHOQOL-BREF). Journal of The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 39(3), pp. 571-579, 2000.
- Shin MW, Lee YO, Cho YC. Analysis of the influence of physical and mental function, and oral health impact profiles on quality of life in the elderly people in long-term care centers using the structural equation model. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(4), pp. 500-511, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.500 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.500
- Shin MW, Ahn KS, Cho YC. Factors related to quality of life in the elderly people in long-term care centers. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 18(6), pp. 524-537, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.524