- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experience of Dialysis in Long-Term Hemodialysis Patients
- Park, Gyeong-Yub (College of Nursing, Hanyang University) ;
- Yoo, Eun-Kwang (College of Nursing, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2018.01.23
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study is a qualitative investigation that used Colaizzi's (1978) phenomenological method to evaluate the meaning and nature of the experience of dialysis of eight long-term (>30 years) hemodialysis patients with chronic renal failure. Data were collected from February 27, 2017 to May 30, 2017 by in-depth interviews. Respondents were then divided into three categories, 'entirely different life', 'getting back up again' and 'focusing on survival' with nine theme clusters and 22 themes. In general, patients initially experienced an entirely different life and overcame a difficult situation when beginning dialysis, then came to know methods for self-care, shared the experience of dialysis, and focused on survival while receiving dialysis over the long-term. Development of variety of education methods depending on long-term experience of dialysis and nursing care intervention to enable chronic patients to adapt to dialysis and continue their own self-management is necessary.
Experience of hemodialysis;Hemodialysis patients;Long-term;30years;Phenomenological study
- Current Renal Replacement Therapy in Korea-Insan Memorial Dialysis Registry, ESRD Registry Committee, Korean Society of Nephrology, 2017.
- E. H. Ann, V. B Julie, A Comparison of Temporal Patterns of Fatigue in Patients on Hemodialysis. Nephrol Nurs J., vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 129-139, 2016.
- F. F. Bourbonnais, & K. F. Tousignant. The pain experience of Patients on maintenance hemodialysis. Nephrology Nursing Journal., vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 13-19, 2012.
- V. G. Guerrerro, M.d.P, Camargo Plazas, B. L. Cameron, A. V. Santos Salas. C. G. Cofre Gonzalez, Understanding the Life experience of people on hemodialysis: adherence to treatment and quality of life. Nephrology Nursing Journal, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 289-298, 2012.
- S. H, Yoon, S. S. Kim, Influence of Depression, Hope, and Social Support on Suicidal Ideation in Renal Dialysis Patients. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 209-218, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.3.209 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.3.209
- Y. J. Kim, H. J. Choi, The Influence of Uncertainty and Social Support on General Well-being among Hemodialysis Patients. Korean J Rehabil Nurs, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 20-29, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.20 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.20
- S. J. Yun, Y. H. Lee, Factors Influencing Uncertainty in Dialysis Patient by Duration of Dialysis. Korean J Adult Nurs, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 597-606, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.0597 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.0597
- J. E. Cha, M. S. Yi, Relationships between Treatment Belief, Personal Control, Depressive Mood and Health-related Quality of Life in Patients with Hemodialysis. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 693-702, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.6.693 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.6.693
- H. M. Cho, E. K. Yoo, The Factors Influencing the Resilience among Hemodialysis Patients. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 614-620, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.6.614 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.6.614
- N. S. Seo, S. J. Kang, J. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, Relationships between Fatigue, Sleep Disturbance, Stress, Self-efficacy and Depression in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 285-297, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.285 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2013.19.2.285
- M. S. Park, M. Y. Kim, Work Experience of Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 149-158, 2010.
- E. J. Park, Y. H. Kim, H. M. Son, Adaptation Experience among Hemodialysis of Women with End-Stage Renal Disease. Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 493-504, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.5.493 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.5.493
- Y. S. Kim, M. Y. Kim, The Experience of Fluid Management in Hemodialysis Patients. J Korean Acad Nurs, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 773-782, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.773 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.773
- A. G. Suhair, S. Khaled, The Lived Experience of Patient' with End Stage Renal Disease on Hemodialysis: A Phenomenological Study. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Science, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 2051-5731, 2014.
- C. C. Lin, C. Y. Han, I. J. Pan, A Qualitative Approach of Psychosocial Adaptation Process in Patients Undergoing Long-term Hemodialysis. Asian Nursing Research, vol. 9, pp. 35-41, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2014.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2014.10.007
- A. Sturesson, & K. Ziegert, Prepare the patient for future challenges when facing hemodialysis: nurses' experiences. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Wellbeing, vol. 9, pp. 22952, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3402/qhw.v9.22952 https://doi.org/10.3402/qhw.v9.22952
- P. F. Colaizzi, Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. In R, S. Valle & M. King,(Eds,), Existential-phenomenological alternatives for psychology, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 48-71, 1978.
- E. G. Guba, & Y. S. Lincoln, Competing Paradigms in qualitative research. In N. K. Denzin & Y. S. Lincoln(Eds.), The landscape of qualitative research. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sag, 1988.
- C. Chantira, The Lived Experience of Patients Receiving Hemodialysis Treatment for End-StageRenal Disease: A Qualitative Study. The Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 24, no. 2, 2016.
- K. Charmaz, Good days, Bad days: The self in chronic illness and time. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1991.
- E. K. Yang, I. O. Kim, Hemodialysis Patients' Experience of Adapting to Dietary Therapy, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 323-333, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.3.323 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.3.323
- A. Cupisti, V. Ferretti, C. D. Alessandro, I. Petrone, A. D. Giorgio, M. Meola, V. Panichi, P. Conti, A. Lippi, R. Caprioli, & A. Capitanini, Nutritional Knowledge in Hemodialysis Patients and Nurses: Focus on Phosphorus Journal of Renal Nutrition, pp. 1-6. 2012.
- R Zabel, S. Ash, N. King, P. Juffs, & J. Bauer. Relationships between appetite and quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Appetite, vol. 59, pp. 194-199, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.02.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.02.016
- L. C. Ma, H. J. Chang, Y. M. Liu, H. L. Hsieh, L Lo, M. Y. Lin, & K. C. Lu, The relationship between health-promoting behaviors and resilience in patients with chronic kidney disease. The Scientific World Journal, 124973, 7, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/124973
- P. Salonen, M. T. Tarkka, P. L. Kellokumpu-Lehtinen, A. M. Koivisto, P. Aalto, & M. Kaunonen, Effect of social support on changes in quality of life in early breast cancer patients: a longitudinal study. scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 2792, pp. 396-405, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2012.01050.x
- C. M. Weil, Exploring hope in patients with end stage renal disease on chronic hemodialysis. Nephrology Nursing Journal, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 219-224, 2000.
- A. E. Nazly, M. Ahmad, C. Musil, M. Nabolsi, Hemodialysis stressors and coping strategies among Jordanian patients on hemodialysis: a qualitative study. Nephrology Nursing Journal, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 321-7, 2013.
- P. Prezerakos, P. Galanis, & I. Moisoglou, The work environment of haemodialysis nurses and its impacton patients' outcomes. International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 132-140, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12223 https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12223
- Phenomenology on the Hemodialysis Experience of Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2018.22