- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The effect of chronic diseases and oral health behavior of economic workers on oral diseases
경제활동자들의 만성질환과 구강건강행태가 구강질환에 미치는 영향
- Hong, Min-Hee (Division of Health Science, Department of Dental Hygiene, Baekseok University)
- 홍민희 (백석대학교 보건학부 치위생학과)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study investigated 2,088 economically active workers aged 20 to 65 years selected from the sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey to evaluate the relationship between chronic diseases and oral health behaviors among economic workers and examine the risk factors for oral diseases. The results of the study were as follows. Dental caries were related to subjective oral health status, toothache experience, orthodontic treatment experience, chewing problems, speaking problems, oral examination, and dental clinic use. Periodontal disease was associated with oral health status, toothache experience, orthodontic experience, and chewing and speaking problems. The risk factors for chronic diseases and oral health behavior were as follows. Hypertension, 1.37 times; obesity, 1.48 times; diabetes, 1.5 times; low HDL-cholesterol, 1.31 times; hepatitis A antibody, 1.53 times higher. Health status was found to be 1.70 times higher in dental caries and 2.10 times higher in periodontal disease. The tooth experience was 1.30 times higher in dental caries and 1.35 times higher in periodontal disease. Problems chewing were 1.76 times for dental caries and 1.78 times for periodontal disease. The possibility of dental caries and periodontal disease was 1.44 times higher. Smokers were 1.61 times more likely to have dental caries and 1.63 times more likely to have periodontal disease. These results suggest that periodontal diseases increase the risk of chronic diseases and oral health behavior increases the risk of dental caries and periodontal disease. Although dental caries seem to have a lower risk of becoming a chronic disease if only oral health care is good, it is considered that both chronic disease and oral health care are important for periodontal disease.
Chronic disease;Dental caries;Oral health behavior;Periodontitis;Oral disease
Supported by : 백석대학교
- H. Y. Lee, "Study on relation factors of oral health behaviors : based on health promotion model," Master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2001.
- G. B. Songm Y. H. Choe, S. J, Hong, J. B, Kim, "Dental caries prevalence in relation to socioeconomic factors and dental health behaviors among Korean adults," Korean Acad Oral Health., vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 319-327, 2003.
- J. B. Kim, Y. J. choi, H. S. Mun, J. B. Kim, D. K, Kim, H. S. Lee, D. Y. Park, Public oral hygiene, 4th. revision. Edit. Seoul:Gomunsa, pp. 144-152, 275-315, 2009.
- K. S. Kim, Y. S. Hwang, Y. K. Kim, B. K. Choi, K. S. Han, J. S. Ryu, Y. N. Kim, K. M, Kim, Community Oral Health. 1 edit, Seoul:Gomunsa, pp. 217-245, 2010.
- M. S. Lee, "Association between metabolic syndrome and periodontal health status in Korean adults," Doctoral's thesis, Chosun University, 2014.
- M. H. Jung, C. S. Kim, K. S. Lee. "Effect of oral health belief and metabolic syndrome on CPITN," J. Korean Soc Dent Hyg, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 979-991, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org.10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.979. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.979
- H. J. Park, E. S. Cha, K. A. Gong, W. J. Lee, "Prevalence of Oral Diseases, Socioeconomic Factors and Health Behaviors in Korean Adults - Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey," J. Korean Dent Technology., vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 121-13, 2008.
- J. U. Back, E. M. Noh, "A Study on the Hospitalized Patients' Recognition and Practice of Dental Health," Korean public health Res, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 45-54, 2009.
- H. K. Jang, E. M. Choi, B. S. Son, "Oral health of the elderly people receiving nursing care and home care serivces in Chungnam," Korean Acad Denl Hyg Edu, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 565-574, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org.10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.565
- W. Sabbah, G. Tsakos, T. Chandola, A. Sheiham, R. G. Watt. "Social Gradients in oral and general health," J Dent Res, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 992-99, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910708601014 https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910708601014
- H. J. Kim, C. M. Park, K. H. Woo, E. S. Lee, J. R. Lee, E. K. Ha. "A Study on Oral Health Status and Factors related with Oral Health among Industrial Workers," Korean public health Res., vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 158-167, 2002.
- I. Y. Ku, S. J. Moon, M. S. Lee, K. H. Ka. "Comparison of oral health status by metabolic syndrome risk factors in workers," J. Korean Soc Dent Hyg, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 581-588, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.581 https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.581
- Center for disease control and prevention, Health, United states, 2015.
- Y. S. Won, C. H. Choi, H. N. Oh, "Risk factors of periodontal disease in Korean adults," Korean Acad Oral Health., vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 176-183, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.3.176 https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.3.176
- S. K. Kim. "Relationship between obesity and periodontal diseases in adults," Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 815-824, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.815 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.815
- H. W. Cheon, M. W. Yu, M. H. Choi, "The association of oral diseases and chronic diseases in Korean adult population," Korean Soc Dent Hyg, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 235-249. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.2.235 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.2.235
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2011.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic disease status and issues 2015. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seoul. 2015.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: A fee for health consultation statistics 2015. Retrieved February 25, 2016, from http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal 0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=3&CONT_SEQ=330153 (2016,February 24).
- M. Kushiyama, Y. Shimazaki, Y. Yamashita, "Relationship between metabolic syndrome and periodontal disease in Japanese adults," J Periodontol, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 1610-5, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.090218 https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.090218
- S. J. Lee, E. M. Hong, J. H. Baek, Y. S. Nam, "The relationship between metabolic syndrome and periodontal disease except patients with hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Korea," Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 451-460, 2009.
- T. Morita, Y. Ogawa, K. Takada, N. Nishinoue, Y. Sasaki, M. Motohashi, M. Maeno, "Association between periodontal disease and metabolic syndrome," J public health dent, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 248-53l, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org.10.1111/j.1752-7325.2009.00130.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2009.00130.x
- H. E. Shin, J. H. Kim, Y. S. Jung, E. K. Jung, E. K. Kim, Y. H. Choi, K. B. Song. "Relation between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal diseases: Using the Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey," Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 232-237, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.4.232
- J. Y. Han, S. Y. An, "A Study on Subjective Periodontal Health Condition and Tooth Brushing Frequency in Systemic Disease Patients with Hypertension, Diabetes or Hyperlipidemia," Korean Acad Dent Hyg, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 139-151, 2011.
- H. J. Lee. "The review and treatment regarding on association between periodontitis and atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases," Korean Dent Assoc, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 501-510, 2013.
- H. D. Kim, D. M. Paik, D. H. Kho, D. I. Paik, "Influence of cardiovascular related disease on periodontitis," Korean Acad Oral Health, vol .30, no. 1, pp. 46-55, 2006.
- D. K. Seung. "The effect of oral diseases on the incidence of cardiovascular diseases," Doctoral's thesis, Yonsei University, 2013.
- Y. S. Kim, B. H. Jun, "A study of comparative the mastication capability and Life quality of elderly people using dentures or implants," Korean Acade Dent Hyg Edu, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 629-636, 2011.
- B. D. Jo, D. K. Kim, B. J. Lee, "Change in plaque control ability by the professional oral health care program," Korean Acad Oral Health, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 25-36, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh..2015.39.1.25 https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.25