- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Pre-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Patient Surviving after Dispather-Assisted Defibrillation by an Untrained Witness
응급의료전화상담원의 도움에 의해 교육 받지 않은 목격자의 제세동 시행 후 생존한 병원 전 심정지 1례
- Kim, Jong-Ho (119 EMS Team, Paju Fire Station) ;
- Moon, Jun-Dong (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2018.01.08
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
A 59-year-old man with no specific medical or family history complained of chest pain and became unconscious. A member of his family, who was a witness, called 119 and gave him dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation, followed by defibrillation using an automated external defibrillator placed in his apartment. Afterward, he was given two sessions of defibrillation by the 119 emergency squad, then transferred to an emergency medical center with the return of spontaneous circulation. The patient was discharged with cerebral performance category (CPC) 1 15 days later. While dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation and defibrillation is at its beginning stage in South Korea, this case seems to demonstrate its effectiveness. Moreover, this case suggests it can be particularly useful for helping untrained witnesses use an automated external defibrillator, which may have important implications in regions in which there are delayed responses of the 119 emergency squad to the site. It is also important to develop a plan for improving witness access to and quantitative supply of the South Korean public access defibrillation (PAD) program.
- Sayre MR, Berg RA, Cave DM, Page RL, Potts J, White RD. "Hands-only (compression-only) cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a call to action for bystander response to adults who experience out-of-hospital sudden cardiac arrest." Circulation. vol. 117, no. 16, pp. 2162-2167, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.189380 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.189380
- Kitamura T, Iwami T, Kawanmra T, Nitta M, Nagao K, Nonogi H, Yonemoto N, Kimura T. "Nationwide improvements in survival from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in japan." Circulation. vol. 126, no. 24, pp. 2834-2843, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org.10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.10946 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.109496
- Mitani Y, Ohta K, Yodoya N, Otsuki S, Ohashi II, Sawada H, Nagashima M, Sumitomo N, Komada Y. "Public access defibrillation improved the outcome after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in school-age children: a nationwide, population-based, Utstein registry study in japan." Europace. vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1259-1266, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eut053 https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eut053
- Eisenberg MS, Hallstrom AP, Carter WB, Cummins RO, Bergener L, Pierce J. "Emergency CPR instruction via telephone." Am J Public Health. vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 47-50, 1985. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.75.1.47 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.75.1.47
- Holmberg M, Holmberg S, Herlitz J. "Effect of bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest patients in sweden." Resuscitation. vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 59-70, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9572(00)00199-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9572(00)00199-4
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security. "119 EMS service statistical year book." pp. 133-142, Ministry of Public Safety and Security, 2016.
- Lim JH. "The effect of mobile phone's speaker function in dispatcher-assisted layperson cardiopulmonary resuscitation performance." Master's thesis, Chung-ang University, pp. 17-18, 2013.
- Song KJ, Shin SD, Park CB, Kim JY, Kim DK, Kim CH et al. "Dispatcher-assisted bystander cardiopulmonary resuscitation in a metropolitan city: a before-after population-based study." Resuscitation. vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 34-41, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2013.06.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2013.06.004
- Lee YJ. "The implementation of dispatcher-assisted cardiopulmonary resuscitation program to improve outcome in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest." Ph.D. dissertation, Inha University, pp. 32-34, 2017.
- KACPR. "Korea guidelines for CPR and ECC." pp. 38-49, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2011 .
- Lee BS, Hwang SO, Young SK, Ahn ME, Lim KS. "Dispatcher-assisted telephone cardiopulmonary resuscitation." J Korean Soc Emerg Med. vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 75-85, 1992.
- Lee SG, Kang GH, Jang YS, Ohk TG, Choi GH, Ahn JH Lee BJ, Sung MG, Kim WJ. "A telephone method for helping lay rescuers perform high quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation." J Korean Soc Emerg Med. vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 644-649, 2013.
- Bak YS. "A Comparative study on audio-direction and video-direction of dispatcher for CPR trainee in directing cardiopulmonary resuscitation." J Korean Soc Hazard Mitigation. vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 159-164, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.l2.5 .159 https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.12.5.159
- Johnsen E, Bolle SR. "To see or not to see better dispatcher-assisted CPR with video-calls? A qualitative study based on simulated trials." Resuscitation. vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 320-326, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2008.04.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2008.04.024
- Roger VL, Go AS, Lloyd-Jones DM, Benjamin EJ, Berty JD, Borden WB et al. "Heart disease and stroke statistics-2012 update a report from the American heart association." Circulation. vol. 125, no. 1, pp. e2-e220, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b0133e31823ac046 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e31823ac046
- Wik L, Kramer-Johansen J, Myklebust H, Soreoo H, Svensson L, Fellows B et al. "Quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation during out-of-hospital cardiac arrest." JAMA. vol. 293, no. 3, pp. 299-304, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.3.299 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.3.299
- Valenzuela TD, Roe DJ, Cretin S, Spaite DW, Larsen MP. "Estimating effectiveness of cardiac arrest interventions: a logistic regression survival model." Circulation. vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 3308-3313, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.96.10.3308 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.96.10.3308
- Koh CY, Kim CH. "Comparing the fully-automated external defibrillator and semi-automated external defibrillator used by laypersons: A simulation study". J Korean Soc Emerg Med. vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 362-369, 2013.
- Park SE. "Automated external defibrillator electrode pad placement by the general public and health-care providers: A manikin study." Korean J Emerg Med Ser. vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 83-94, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.1.083 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2016.20.1.083
- Lee MR. "The comparison CPR of a regular and video phone according to dispatcher-assisted." Master's thesis, Korea National University of Transportation, pp. 24-28, 2013.
- Beckers S, Fries M, Bickenbach J, Derwall M, Kulilen R, Rossaint R. "Minimal instructions improve the performance of laypersons in the use of semiautomatic and automatic external defibrillators." Crit Care. vol. 9, no. 2, pp. R110-R116, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/cc3033 https://doi.org/10.1186/cc3033
- Beckers SK, Fries M, Bickenbach J, Skoming MH, Derwall M, Kuhlen R, Rossaint R. "Retention of skills in medical students following minimal theoretical instructions on semi and fully automated external defibrillators." Resuscitation. vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 444-450, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.08.001
- Mitchell KB, Gugerty L, Muth E. "Effects of brief training on use of automated external defibrillators by people without medical expertise." Hum Factors. vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 301-310, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1518/001872008X250746 https://doi.org/10.1518/001872008X250746