- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Attitude toward Marriage of Nursing College Students
간호대학생의 결혼관에 미치는 영향요인
- Kim, Nam-Jo (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Ko, SangJin (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2018.01.15
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
The low birth rate in South Korea is a very serious problem. Recently, as personal happiness has emerged as an important life value of life, unmarried people have developed a negative tendency toward marriage. This study was conducted to investigate the attitude toward marriage, gender role and having children among college students, and to identify the factors affecting marriage. The participants were 383 unmarried nursing college students who live in D city. Data were collected from self-report questionnaires and analyzed using the t-test, one-way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression using the SPSS 22.0 program. Gender was a significant variable influencing attitude toward marriage. Moreover, the attitude toward marriage was negatively correlated with gender role, and positively correlated with having children. Attitude toward gender role was negatively correlated with having children. Regression analysis of the factors affecting attitude toward marriage showed that gender (male), attitude toward gender role, and attitude toward having children were significant influencing factors. Moreover, this model explained 51.9% of variance in attitude toward marriage. Overall, it is necessary to change individual values to solve the problem of low birthrate.
- S. Y. Shon, E. J. Kim, "A study of the gender and generation differences of the family values and perception of low fertility in Korean society", Hyonsang-gwa-Insik, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 169-200, 2010.
- G. V. Jones, "Delayed marriage and very low fertility in pacific asia". Population and Development Review. vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 453-478, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2007.00180.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2007.00180.x
- M. J. Chin, H. E. Chung, "The effects of family values on intentions of marriage and expected age at first marriage". Korea Journal of Population Studies. vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 31-51, 2010.
- Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology. High-risk pregnancy classification [Internet]. 2010, Available From: http://ksog.org/bbs/skin/notice_popup/download.php?code=notice&number=5187(assessed Dec., 20, 2017)
- S. S. Lee, "A study on impact of the change in values on marriage and fertility behaviors", Korea institute for health and social affairs. vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 95-140, 2006.
- A. J. Cherlin, "The deinstitutionalization of American marriage", Journal of Marriage and Family. vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 848-861, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-2445.2004.00058.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-2445.2004.00058.x
- Y. I. Kwon, D. W. Namkung, "Ecological examination of single men and women's future fertility behavior in relations with their family values, recognized fertility policies and perceived economic condition", Journal of Family Relations. vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 75-92, 2013.
- H. K. Choi, S. H. Lee, "Factors influencing the value of having children among university students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education. vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 587-595, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.587 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.587
- H. G. Kim, J. Y. Seo, "Factors impacting on the marital and childbearing willingness among college students", The Institute for Korean Culture, vol. 52, pp. 175-206, 2012.
- M. Y. Kim, Y. S. Song, "University students' values on marriage, gender role, and children", The Korean academic society of nursing education. vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 303-311, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.303 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.303
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Population Trend Survey [Internet]. 2016, Available From: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B8000I&vw_cd=&list_id=A2_6&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE (assessed Dec., 10, 2017)
- Y. M. Park, "The family values of middle school teachers and the awareness about population education", Korea National University of Education, pp. 1-84, 2010.
- S. W. Ban, B. S. Chon, "The effects of family communication patterns on choices of marriage and spouse", Speech & Communication. vol. 16, pp. 244-269, 2011.
- K. S. Kim, "A study on the views of marriage of college students majoring in health sciences", Journal of Wellness. vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 217-225, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.02.12.1.217
- S. H. Park, "The analysis of the relationship between gender equality consciousness and perceptions of marriage in university students-Based on university students in Gyeongsang-do region-", Journal of Education & Culture. vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 207-232, 2016.
- E. J. Jo, E. S. An, "Influence of awareness about marriage and childbirth on pre-parent's role of the nursing students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education. vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 208-217, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.11.208
- A. Thornton, L. Young-Demarco, "Four decades of trends in attitudes toward family issues in the United States : The 1960s through the 1990s", Journal of Marriage & Family. vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1009-1037, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2001.01009.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2001.01009.x
- Y. M. Na, M. K. Kim, "Research on the Values the Pre Parents Generation Places on Marriage and Childbirth", The Korean Society for Early Childhood Teacher Education. vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 215-234, 2012.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, [Internet]. 2016, Available From: http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2016/02/22/0200000000AKR20160222184300017.HTML (assessed Jan., 30, 2018)
- M. Jun, G. Shin, K. S. Choi, S. A. Lee, S. W. Hong, "The attitude toward marriage, pregnancy and abortion among Korean nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 312-320, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.312 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.312
- G. Kaufman, "Gender role attitudes and college students' work and family expectations", Gender Issues. vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 58-71, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12147-005-0015-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12147-005-0015-1
- K. S. Eun, Y. S. Lee, "Family values in Korea from a comparative perspective", Korea Journal of Population Studies. vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 107-132, 2005.
- H. Y. Shin, E. R. Bang, "Investigation of women's & men's view on marriage and birth", 2007 Korean Psychologial Assocoaition Annual Conference. vol. 1, pp. 494-495, 2007.
- M. F. Nicole, "Gender Role Attitudes and the Labour-market Outcomes of Women across OECD Countries", Oxford Review of Economic Policy. vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 416-438, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/oxrep/gri024 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxrep/gri024
- K. A. Kim, "Development and effectiveness of liberal arts at university to cultivate women leaders-Effect of operating multidisciplinary leadership curriculum regarding strengths of family life for family of orientation and views of marriage and children for family of procreation-", Korean Journal of General Education. vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 69-105, 2014.