- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Post-Traumatic Stress on Quality of Life in Industrial Accident Patients: Effect of Recovery Resilience
산재환자의 외상후 스트레스가 삶의 질에 미치는 영향 : 회복탄력성의 효과
- Han, Jeong-Won (Graduate School, Department of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Lee, Byoung-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2018.01.11
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of post-traumatic stress on the quality of life and effects of resilience in industrial accident patients. Participants in this study were 158 patients in an industrial hospital and general hospital in two metropolitan urban areas. Data were collected from July 1 to September 30, 2017 using self-report questionnaires and analyzed by descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation coefficient, hierarchical regression, and Sobel's test using SPSS 21.0. There were significant negative correlations post-traumatic stress, quality of life, effects of resilience and were significant positive correlations quality of life, effects of resilience. The effects of resilience showed partial mediating effects, but not moderating effects on post-traumatic stress and quality of life. Post-traumatic stress and resilience explained 45% of the effects of industrial accidents on quality of life, post-traumatic stress explained 23% of the effects on quality of life, and the mediating effect of resilience was 22%. Based on the results of this study, it is necessary to develop interventions that improve quality of life by reducing post-traumatic stress and increasing resilience among workers who experience industrial accidents.
Industrial Accidents;Life Quality;Patient;Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders;Psychosocial resilience
- National legislation Legislation Information Center [Internet]. Occupational Health and Safety Act [cited 20 18 January 31], Available From: http://www.law.go.kr/ lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=193408&efYd=20171019#0000
- K. S. Jo, "Improvement of the status of industrial accidents and industrial safety and health legislation," Monthly Labor Review, vol. 128, pp. 45-56, 2015.
- C. M. Chang, N. H. Choi, H. S. Kang, S. H. Park, "The Levels of Impacts of Events, Depression and Anxiety among Injured Workers," Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 234-242, 2009.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor[Internet]. 2014 Analysis of industrial accidents [cited 2017 November 4], Available From: http://www.moel.go.kr/info/publicdata/majorpublish/majorPublishView.do?bbs_seq=1449549370858
- K. H. Suh, "A Qualitative Study on the Psychological Problems of Injured Workers," Korean Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 431 - 442, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2014.19.1.024 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2014.19.1.024
- S. I. Kim, K. W. Yun, E. H. Ha, H. W. Woo, Y. C. Kim, "Quality of Life, Suicide Ideation, and Depressive Symptoms in Industrial Injury patients," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 416-424, 2001.
- S. K. Park, D. K. Kim, "A study on factors affecting the mental health among patient with work-related injury," Journal of rehabilitation research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 150-174, 2006.
- S. Mason, J. Wardrope, G. Turpin, A. Rowlands, "Outcomes after injury: a comparison Workplace and Nonworkplace Injury," Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 98-103, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200207000-00019 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200207000-00019
- H. J. Lee, J. J. Oh, J. M. Choi, H. J. Han, S. N. Yun, "The Social Support of the Handicaped in Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 80-88, 2003.
- K. S. Choi, C. K. Lim, J. W. Choi, S. K. Kang, Y. T. Yum, "Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Occupational Accident Patients," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 461-471, 2002.
- A. H. Friedlander, I. K. Friedlander, S. R. Marder, "Posttraumatic stress disorder: psychopathology, medical management, and dental implications," Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology, oral radiology, and endodontics, vol. 97, pp. 5-11, 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2003.09.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2003.09.004
- G. Waddell, A. K. Burton, "Occupational health guidelines for the management of low back pain at work: evidence review," Occupational Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 124-135, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/51.2.124 https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/51.2.124
- R. S. Lazarus, S. Folkman, "Stress, Appraisal, and Coping," Springer, New York, 1984.
- B. O. Hwang, Y. J. Park, "The Analysis on the Causal Model Physically Disabled Women's Social Support, Social Integration and Quality of Life," Journal of Rehabilitation Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 299-324, 2010.
- K. H. Jung, "A Study on the Factors Influencing the Quality of Life of the Disabled People," Master's Thesis, Dongguk University, 2008.
- L. V. Polk, "Toward a middle-range theory of resilience," Advances in Nursing Science, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 1-13, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-199703000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-199703000-00002
- B. Y. Ha, E. J. Jung, S. Y. Choi, "Effects of Resilience, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder on the Quality of Life in Patients with Breast Cancer," Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, vol. 20 no. 1, pp. 83-91, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.1.83 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.1.83
- J. Y. Kim, E. J. Lee, E. H, Ha, "Health Related Quality of Life in Occupationally Injured Workers," Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 141-151, 2001.
- M. R. Yoo, S. Y. Choi, H. L. Han, Y. M. Seo, M. I. Noh, "The Effect of Post-Traumatic Growth, Resilience, and Optimism on Quality of Life among the Disaster Victims," Korea Armed Forces Nursing Academy, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 1-14, 2015.
- M. Horowitz, N. Wilner, W. Alvarez, "Impact of event scale: A measure of subjective stress," Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 41, pp. 209-218, 1979. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197905000-00004 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197905000-00004
- D. S. Weiss, C. R. Marmar, The Impact of Event Scale-Revised. In: In Assessing psychological trauma and PTSD. New York, Guilford Press, pp. 399-411, 1997.
- H. J. Eun, T. W. Kwon, S. M. Lee, T. H. Kim, M. R. Choi, S. J. Cho, "A Study on Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of Impact of Event Scale-Revised," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 303-310, 2005.
- G. C. Dunbar, M. J. Stoker, T. C. P. Hodges, G. Beaumont, "The development of SBQOL- unique scale for measuring quality of life," British Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 2, pp. 65-74, 1992.
- J. S. Yun, S. H. Kook, M. S. Lee, "A Preliminary Study on Korean Version of the SmithKline Beecham 'Quality of Life' Scale(KvSBQOL)," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 280-290, 1998.
- K. M. Connor, J. R. T. Davidson, "Development of a new Resilience scale: The Connor-Davidson Resilience scale (CD-RISC)," Depression and Anxiety, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 76-82, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10113 https://doi.org/10.1002/da.10113
- H. S. Baek, K. W. Lee, E. J. Jung, M. Y. Lee, K.S. Choi, "Reliability and validity of the Korean version of the Connor-Davidson resilience scale (K-CD-RISC)," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 7, pp. 109-115, 2010.
- J. M. Bae, "A Comparative Study on the Relationships among Post-traumatic Stress, Psychological Wellbeing, and Depression of Policemen and Firefighters," Doctoral Thesis, Seoul University, 2011.
- T. H. Kim, Y. Kim, S. M. Yi, H. J. Eun, D. I. Kim, Y. S. Kwang, "Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Physically Injured Patients after Motor Vehicle Accidents," Journal of Korean NeuroPsychiatric Association, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 650-660, 1998.
- A. B. Amstadter, M. R. McCart, K. J. Ruggiero, "Psychosocial interventions for adults with crime-related PTSD," Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 640-651, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.38.6.640 https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.38.6.640
- K. S. Park, Y. M. Ha, M. J. Seo, Y. S. Choi, M. J. Kim, Y. J. Jeong, S. K. Yang, "Impact of Health-related Quality of Life in Firefighters: Focused on Posttraumatic Stress, Health-related Work Limitations, and Family Support," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 142-150, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5807/KJOHN.2017.26.3.142
- E. J. Park, "Influence Factors of Stress and Resilience on Quality of Life among Women with Thyroid Cancer," Master's Thesis, Keimyung University, 2013.
- N. Y. Shin, S. H. Lee, "Health Related Quality of Life Among Herniation of Nucleus Pulposus Patients Caused by Occupational Accidents," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 168-176, 2007.
- American Psychiatric Association, "Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.)," American Psychiatric Association; Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- S. Y. Kwak, Y. S. Byeon, "Factors Influencing Resilience of Patients with Hematologic Malignancy," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 95-104, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.1.95 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.1.95
- C. L. Loprinzi, J. W. Kugler, J. A. Sloan, J. A. Mailliard, J. E. Krook, M. B. Wilwerding, K. M. Rowland, J. K. Camoriano, P. J. Novotny, B. J. Christense, "Randomized comparison of megestrol acetate versus dexamethasone versus fluoxymesterone for the treatment of cancer anorexia/cachexia," Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, pp. 3299-3306, 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.5299
- S. J. Seo, "Post traumatic stress, resilience, and social support of the patients with traumatic brain injury," Master's Thesis, Ajou University, 2015.
- M. S. Son, "The Effect of the elderly's life stress on Resilience," Unpublished doctoral thesis, Honam University, 2012.
- S. Y. Lee, "A Study on the Effects of PTSD and Quality of Life among Firefighters," Master's Thesis, Pusan National University, 2016.
- M. R. Kim, "Quality of Life Model of Patient's Injured by Industrial Accidents," Doctoral Thesis, Chungnam University, 2014.