- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Case Study for the Application of PBL in Engineering School : Focused on an Artificial Intelligence Class
공과대학에서 문제중심학습 적용 사례 연구 : 인공지능 과목을 중심으로
- Lee, Keunsoo (Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering/Computer System Institute, Hankyong National University)
- 이근수 (한경대학교 컴퓨터공학과/컴퓨터 시스템 연구소)
- Received : 2018.03.19
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
This thesis aims to develop PBL (Problem-Based-Learning) problems. Its goal is for some groups of students to creative their own problems and to confirm the effectiveness of PBL as they apply it to AI (Artificial Intelligence) in engineering schools. Modern industrial society needs competent people who have abilities in cooperative learning, self-controlled learning, united knowledge application, and creative problem-solving. Universities need to offer their students the opportunity to improve their problem-solving and cooperative learning abilities in order to train the competent people that society demands. PBL activity is an appropriate learning method for the accomplishment of these goals. The study subjects are 37 sophomore students in H University who are studying 'AI'. Five PBL problems were submitted to the class over a period of 15 weeks. The students wrote and submitted a reflective journal after they finished each PBL activity. In addition, they filled out a class evaluation form to assess the performances of each member when the
AI : Artificial Intelligence;Communication ability;Converging Technology;Cooperative Learning;Creativity improvement;Knowledge acquisition ability;PBL Application;Problem-solving skills;The effectiveness of PBL;United knowledge application
- K. S. Lee, "A Study on PBL Instructional Design for Creative Engineering Design Education," Journal of the Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 7 pp. 4573-4579, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4573 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4573
- Y. K. Kim, "The Effects of Problem-Based Learning Instruction Student's Intrinsic Motivation and Sociality : Centering on the "Plan and Management of Housing," in Home Economics of High School, Chungang University, M.S. Thesis, 2001.
- J. I. Choi, "A Case Study for the Application of PBL in Higher-Education : Focused on the Effectiveness of PBL," presented in Reflective Journal. 2007.
- Jeon, Y. H., "A Study on Instruction in Education Applying the PBL Theory and Evaluation Methods: Centering on the Curriculum for Third-Graders," Korea National University of Education, M.S. Thesis. 2008.
- K. S. Lee, "Study on the Applications of Introduction of Computer Engineering Class using PBL," Journal of the Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 10 pp. 6303-6309, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6303 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6303
- K. S. Lee, "Case Study for the Application of PBL in Engineering -School : Focused on an Element Design Class," Journal of the Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 671-676, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.671 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.671
- Trop, L., & Sage, S., "Problems as possibilities : Problem-based learning for k-16 education(2nd Ed.)", Alexandria, Virginia : Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 2002.
- Jeong-Im, Choi, "A Study on the problem design principle for Problem-Based Learning thought the case analysis", Educational Technology Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 37-61. 2004. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.20.1.37
- Weiss, R. E., "Designing problems to promote higher-order thinking", In D. Knowlton and D. Sharp(Ed.), Problem-Based Learning in the Information Age(pp. 25-31). CA : Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/tl.109
- Kyoseok Song, "Artificial Intelligence," Hanbit Media, 2017.
- Soo-Jin Kim, Hee-Kyeung Kang, "The Effect of Tutor's Expertise and Teaching Experience on Learners' Satisfaction in the Problem-Based Learning," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 279-290, July, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.07.40
- Soo-Jin Kim, Hyun-Hee Kang, "A Study on Student Factors Affecting in Problem-Based Learning," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 601-612, Aug. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.75 https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.08.75
- Sun-Young Kim, Soo-Jin Kim, "Effects of Learning Style on Self-Directed Readiness of Student inProblem-Based Learning," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 261-270, April, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.04.28.
- Sung-Eun Lee, Yoon-Jung Huh, "Community-Based Art Project Using PBL and Google Maps," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 169-181, Oct. 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.10.06.
- Hye Jin Kim, "Effects of PBL Applied to a Teaching Training Course on Cognitive, Affective, and Social Features of Pre-service Teachers," Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 181-190, Nov. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2016.11.40