- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Coupler for Interoperability of Freight Railway Car between Korea, China and Russia
한국, 중국 및 러시아 화물철도 차량 상호운영을 위한 연결기 연구
- Cheon, Jun-Ho (Institute of Technology, Leentech Corp.)
- 천준호 (리앤테크(주) 기술연구소)
- Received : 2018.01.11
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.04.30
Recently, the importance of the northeast economies including Russia has been growing, and according to the Eurasian initiative policy, the enhancement of transportation, logistics and connectivity between the northeast Asian countries is emerging as one of the challenges for future growth. However, due to the different vehicle systems used in each country, the railway connections between countries are not operating smoothly. Especially, the couplers of the railway cars which pass through the countries of northeast Asia including Russia have different regulations, which render their shape and characteristics incompatible. In this study, we propose a method of interconnecting the AAR type coupler used in Korea and China and the CA-3 type coupler compatible with the Russian GOST standard, and verify that its structural safety conforms with each set of regulations. We analyze the possibilities offered by this method of interconnection by performing tests while developing materials satisfying the mechanical properties required for the freight coupler.
Coupler;Coupler adapter;Freight car;Interoperability;Variable Coupler
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- KRTS-CO-part3-3 "Korean Railway Technical specification", 2016.
- AAR M-211, "Foundry and Product Approval Requirements for The Manufacture of Couplers, Coupler Yokes, Knuckles, Follower Blocks, And Coupler Parts", 2013.
- Choi Hanbyul, Choi SeokBeom, Journal of Korea Trade "A Study on the Efficient Methods of Rail Transport Network under the Eurasia Initiative", vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 109-133, 2016.
- Jung Jun Park, Hee Seung Na, Bulletin of the Korean institute of electrical and electronic material engineers, "Establishment of test line for interchangeable vehicle / infra. interface", vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 3-8, 2015.
- GOST 22703, "Moulded pieces of automatic coupler equipment for 1520mm gauge railway rolling stock. General specification", 1991.
- J. Huang, Lu Xia, Youshou Zhang, Sinian Li, "Investigation on brittle fracture mechanism of a grade E cast steel knuckle", Case Studies in Engineering Failure Analysis 2, pp. 15-24, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csefa.2013.12.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csefa.2013.12.007