- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Structural Relationships between Self-Sacrificial Leadership, Employees' Workplace Spirituality, Supervisor Likeability and Innovation Behavior of Hotel Enterprise
호텔기업의 자기희생적 리더십, 직장영성, 상사호감 및 혁신행동의 구조적 관계 연구
- Park, Jong Chul (Hotel Management Major, Tourism Division, Baekseok University) ;
- Choi, Hyun Jung (Hotel Management Major, Tourism Division, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2018.03.05
- Accepted : 2018.03.26
- Published : 2018.03.31
This study began with the expectation that work spirituality according to self - sacrificing leadership of a company recognized by hotel employees could positively affect superior liking and innovation behavior. The results of this study can be summarized as follows; the exercise of authority and the self - sacrifice in reward distribution are very important in the social exchange relationship. And the experience of joy and meaning, which is a behavior that meets the values, showed that it fulfilled the sense of accomplishment that the employees realized as a value, and it increased the satisfaction of pursuing the value of the boss and participating in and contributing to the world. Moreover, the hotel employees were likely to favor the bosses when they gave up or refrained from their authority or delegated to their subordinates, or when their bosses delayed or gave up rewards that had to be distributed to them. Also, self-sacrifice on the supervisor's job assignment is considered as an essential part of inducing the innovative behavior of the subordinates, regarded as desirable behavior or qualities.
- Burton, J. P., Sablynski, C. J., & Sekiguchi, t.(2008). Linking justice, performance, and citizenship via leader-member exchange. Journal of Business and Psychology, 23(1), 51-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-008-9075-z
- Chae, H. S. (2007). The effect of job attitude and organization absorption of the cooks in special grade hotels on their job satisfaction. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 13(3), 175-186. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2007.13.3.016
- Choi, B. S. & Kim, J. H.(2006). A replicated study on the effects of leader"s self-sacrifice. Korean Human Resource Management, 30(1), 117-133.
- Choi, H. J. (2011). A study on the relationships of core-self evaluation, work-family facilitation, job satisfaction and turnover intention. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 17(4), 219-237. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2011.17.4.015
- Choi, H. J. (2012). A study on core-self evaluation, service recovery performance, job satisfaction and turnover intention among hotel frontline staff. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 18(2), 118-133. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2012.18.4.009009009
- Choi, S. W. (2007). Organizational toxicity and emotional management: A research review essay on Peter J. Frost's toxic emotions at work. The Korean Association for Governance, 14(2), 149-173. https://doi.org/10.17089/kgr.2007.14.2.006
- Choi, Y. (2014). Effects of self-sacrificial leadership on member's organizational performance: How member's workplace spirituality mediates the process. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 16(3), 1473-1484.
- De Cremer, D.(2006), Affective and motivational consequences of leader self-sacrifice: The moderating effect of autocratic leadership. Leadership Quaterly, 17(1), 79-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.10.005
- De Cremer, D., Mayer, D. M., Van Dijke, M., & Schouten, B. C. (2009). When does self-sacrificial leadership motivate prosocial behavior? It depends on followers' prevention focus. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(1), 887-899. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014782
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Fry, L. W. (2003). Toward a theory of spiritual leadership. The Leadership Quaterly, 14(1), 693-727. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2003.09.001
- Fry, L. W., Vitucci, S. V., & Cedillo, M.(2005). Spiritual leadership and army transformation: Theory, measurement, and establushing a baseline. The Leadership Quarterly, 16(1), 835-862. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.07.012
- Gagne, M. (2009). A model of knowledge- sharing motivation. Human Resource Management, 48(1), 571-589. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20298
- Gary, J. E. (2007). What would Jesus lead: Identity theft, leadership evolution, and open system. Journal of Biblical Perspectives in Leadership, 1(2), 89-98.
- Hair, J. F Jr., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate data analysis. 6th edition. pearson international edition, Inc., New Jersey.
- Halverson, S. K., Holladay, C. L., Kazama, S. M., & Quinones, M. A. (2004). Self-sacrificial behavior in crisis situations: The competing roles of behavioral and situational factors. Leadership Quaterly, 15(1), 263-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.02.001
- Hwang, S. Y. (2015). The structural relationship among hotel employees' sense of calling, self-directed learning, innovation behavior and job performance (Doctoral dissertation). Sejong University.
- Kakabadse, N., Kouzmin, A., & Kakabadse, A.(2002). Spitituality and leadership praxis. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 17(3), 165-182. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940210423079
- Kamdar, D., & Van Dyne, L. (2007). The joint effects of personality and workplace social exchange relationship in predicting task performance and citizenship performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(1), 1286-1298. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.5.1286
- Kim, H. K., Kim, S. Y., & Lee, B. C. (2012). Research on influence of follower's self-sacrificial obligatory perception and organizational commitment of self-sacrificial leadership. Inspiring Insight in Business Society, 41(6), 1471-1500.
- Lee, Y. S. (2011). Likability and job satisfaction of the employees according to personality type of gas station manage (Master's thesis). Korea University.
- Lee, P., Gillespie, N., Mann, l., & Wearing, A. (2010). Leadership and trust: Their effect on knowledge sharing and team performance. Management Learning, 41(1), 473-491. https://doi.org/10.1177/1350507610362036
- Maria Stock, R., Jong, A. D., & Zacharias, N. A. (2017). Frontline employees' innovative service behavior as key to customer loyalty: Insights into FLEs' resource gain spiral. The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 34(2), 223-245. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12338
- Markkow, F., & Klenke, K.(2005). The effects of personal meaning and calling on organizational commitment: An empirical investigation of spiritual leadership. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 13(1), 8-27. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb028995
- Moore, T. W., & Casper, W. J. (2006). An examination of proxy measures of workplace spirituality: A profile model of multidimensional constucts. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 12(4), 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1177/107179190601200407
- Shanker, R., Bhanugopan, R. & Van Der Heijden. (2017). Organizational climate for innovation and organizational performance: The mediating effect of innovative work behavior. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 100(1), 67-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2017.02.004
- Son, S. Y., Yoon, S. H., & Choi, Y. (2015). Self-sacrificial leadership and organizational citizenship behaviors beneficial to the supervisor. Inspiring Insight in Business Society, 44(4), 959-984.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Hartnell, C. A., & Oke, A.(2010). Servant leadership, procedural justice climate, service climate, employee attitudes, and organizational citizenship behavior: A cross-level investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(1), 517-529. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018867
- Wang, H., Law, K. S., Hackett, R. D., Wang, D., & Chen, Z. X. (2005). Leader-member exchange as a mediater of the relationship between transformational leadership and follpwers' performance and organizational citizenship behavior. Academy of Management Journal, 48(1), 420-432. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2005.17407908
- Wayne, S. J., & Ferris, G. R. (1990). Influence tactics, affects, and exchange quality in supervisor- subodnate interactions: A laboratory experiment and field study. Journal of Management, 75(1), 487-499.
- Whiting, S. W., Podsakoff, P. M., Pierce, J. R.(2008). Effects of task performance: Helping voice, and organizational loyalty on performance appraisal ratings. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(1), 125-139. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.1.125
- Yu, G. C., Seo, J. H. & Kim, J. I. (2010). Conceptual definitions and model of workplace spirituality. Korean Journal of Management, 18(4), 153-199.
- Zhang, W. H. (2017). A study on the structural relationship between self-sacrificing leadership, likeability about superiors and organizational citizenship behavior : In the center of hotel employees (Master's thesis). Dongkook University.