- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Sweet Pumpkin Yanggaeng with Stevia Leaf Powder as Partial Replacer of Sucrose
설탕량 감소를 위한 스테비아 잎 분말 적용 단호박 양갱
- Choi, Eun-Hee (Dept. of Culinary and Food Service Management, Sejong University) ;
- Chung, Chang-Ho (Dept. of Culinary and Food Service Management, Sejong University)
- Received : 2018.02.28
- Accepted : 2018.03.14
- Published : 2018.03.31
Sweet pumpkin yanggaeng were produced with stevia leaf powder as a partial sugar replacer(0 to 20% sucrose weight) and antioxidant. Characteristics of the yanggaeng were compared in moisture, total soluble solids, pH, color, texture, antioxidant properties, and preference scores. Moisture and total soluble solids were proportionally increased with increasing addition of stevia leaf powder(p<0.001). pH of control (without stevia) and SLP20(with 20% replacement of sucrose) were 7.05 and 6.82, respectively. L-value, a-value, and b-value were decreased with increasing amount of stevia leaf powder (p<0.001). Antioxidant activities (total polyphenols and DPPH radical scavenging activity) were gradually increased as more stevia leaf powder included in the yanggaeng(p<0.001). SLP20 being significantly different from others (p<0.001) had the highest values of hardness and chewiness, but there was no significant difference between cohesiveness and adhesiveness among samples. SLP4 had the highest preference in appearance and texture, otherwise SLP8 did the highest scores in flavor, sweetness and overall preference. SLP8, in which 8% sucrose was replaced with stevia leaf powder, was considered to be the most desirable for production of sweet pumpkin yanggaeng.
- Choi, S. h. (2017). Quality characteristics of yanggaeng added with Maca (Lepidium meyenii) powder. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 23(5), 121-128. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2017.23.5.013013013
- Choi, S. N., Joo, M. K., & Chung, N. Y. (2014a). Quality characteristics of bread added with stevia leaf powder. Korean Journal of Food Cook, 30(4), 419-427. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.4.419
- Choi, S. N., Joo, M. K., & Chung, N. Y. (2014b). Quality characteristics of soybean milk added with stevia leaf powder. Korean Journal of Diet Association, 20(2), 77-86. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2014.20.2.77
- Choi, S. N., Kim, H. J., Joo, M. K., & Chung, N. Y. (2013). Quality characteristics of castella prepared by substituting sugar with stevia leaf powder. Korean Journal of Food Cook Science, 29(2), 153-160. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.2.153
- Cumarasamy, R., Corrigan, V., Hurst, P., & Bendall, M. (2002). Cultivar differences in New Zealand "Kabocha" (buttercup squash, Cucurbita maxima). New Zealand Journal of Crop & Horticultural Science, 30(3), 197-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/01140671.2002.9514215
- Dyrskong, S. E., Jepprsen, P. B., Colombo, M., Abudual, R., & Hermansen, K. (2005). Preventive effects of a soy based diet supplemented with stevioside on the development of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in Zuker diabetic fatty rats. Metabolism, 54, 1181-1181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2005.03.026
- Gheldof, N., & Engeseth, N. J. (2002). Antioxidants capacity of honeys from various flora sources based on the determination of oxygen radical absorbance capacity and inhibition of vitro lipoprotein oxidation in human serum sample. Journal of Agriculture of Food Chemistry, 50, 3050-3055. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0114637
- Ghosh, S., & Sudha, M. L. (2012). A review on polyols: new frontiers for health-based bakery products. International Journal of Food Science & Nutrition, 63, 372-379. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637486.2011.627846
- Ahn, J. J., & Kim, D. W. (2010). Characteristics of Yanggaeng supplemented by deer antler extract. Journal of Applied Oriental Medicine, 10(2), 1-7.
- Park, B. G., Lee, S. Y., & Lee, M. H. (2017). Quality and antioxidant properties of sponge cake added with flaxseed powder. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 23(3), 207-215. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2017.23.3.020020020
- Back, S. E. (2008). Sensory properties of low calorie Ssanhwa beverages containing sweetener(I) - Relative sweetness and sensory properties of Ssanhwa beverages sweetened with glucosyl stevia, accesulfame-K and aspartame. Korean Journal of Food Nutrition, 21(2), 190-196.
- Han, J. M., & Chung, H. J. (2013). Quality characteristics of Yanggaeng added with blueberry powder. The Journal of Korean Society of Food Preservation, 20(2), 265-275. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.2.265
- Heo, S. J., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. G., & Moon, K. D. (1998). Processing puree from pumpkin and sweet pumpkin. The Journal of Korean Society of Food Preservation, 5(2), 172-176.
- Hidaka, T., Annno, T., & Nakatsu, S. (1987). The composition and vitamin A values of the carotenoid of sweet pumpkin of different colors. Journal of Food Biochemistry, 11, 59-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.1987.tb00112.x
- Hong, H. Y. (2009). Sensory evaluation and quality characteristics of low caloric muffin by the addition of stevia leaf powder (Master's thesis). Sejong University.
- Hwang, I. G., Kim, H. Y., Hwang, Y., Jeong, H. S., & Yoo, S. M. (2011). Qaulity characteristics of wet noodles combined with Cheongyang hot pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) juice. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 40(6), 860-866. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.6.860
- Jeon, S. M. (2009). Qaulity characteristics of Yanggaeng by sweet persimmon powder (Master's thesis). Chonbuk National University.
- Jung, H. S., Lee, J. S., & Yoon, H. H. (2014). Quality characteristics of yanggeng sweetened with trehalose and textural changes during storage. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 20(3), 113-124. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2014.20.3.010010010
- Kim, H. A., Lee, K. H. (2012). Quality characteristics of Yanggaeng made with various sweeteners. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 21(6), 228-234.
- Kim, H, I., & Lee, B. M. (1996). Stevioside a natural sweetener. Journal of Food Hygiene & Safety, 11(4), 323-327.
- Kim, H. N., Yoon, J. W., Moon, S. A., Choi, S. B., Seo, Y. M., Park, J. H., ... Kim, G. Y. (2016). Fermentation and quality characteristics during the storage of greek-style yogurt supplemented with stevia leaf extract. Journal of Milk Science & Biotechnology, 34(1), 51-57. https://doi.org/10.22424/jmsb.2016.34.1.51
- Kim, J. H., Lee, H. G., Park, J. H., & Ryu, J. D. (2004). Effect of dill and stevia hot-water extracts on quality and sensory characteristics of Kimchi. The Korean Journal of Food & Nutrition, 17(1), 25-31.
- Kim, J. H., Sung, N. Y., Kwon, S. K., Jung, P. M., Yoon, Y. H., Song, B. S., ... Lee, J. W., (2010). Antioxidant activity of stevia leaf extracts prepared by various extraction methods. Journal of the Korean Society of Food, 39(2), 313-318.
- Kim, H. A., & Lee, K. H. (2012). Quality characteristics of yanggeng made with various sweetners. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary life, 22(6), 818-825.
- Kim, M. H., & Chae, H. S. (2011). A Study of the characteristics of Yanggaeng supplement with Codonopsis lanceolata Traut (Benth et Hook). Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 21(2), 228-234.
- Kim, S. R., Ha, T. Y., Song, H. N., Kim, Y. S., & Park, Y. K. (2005). Comparison of nutritional composition and antioxidative activity for Kabocha squash and pumpkin. Korean Journal of Food Science & Technology, 37(2), 171-177.
- Lee, J. Y.(2004). How to eat well and live well(Herb). Seoul, Korea: Gimmyoungsa Publishing. pp, 35.
- Lee, U. S., Kim, G. S., & Choi, U. S. (2014). The quality characteristics of stevia (Stevia redaudiana Bert) leaf tea according to different manufacturing processes. The Korean Journal of Food & Nutrition, 27(2), 156-163. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.2.156
- Lee, S. J., Shin, J. H., Choi, D. J., & Kwen, O. C. (2007). Quality characteristics of cookies prepares with fresh and steamed garlic powder. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 36(8), 1048-1054. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.8.1048
- Lee, S. M., & Choi, Y. J. (2009). Quality characteristics of Yanggaeng by the addition of purple sweet potato. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 19(5), 769-775.
- Lee, W. H,. Yoo, S. S., & Hong, K. W. (2018). Quality characteristics of yanggaeng with Peucedanum japonicum powder. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 24(1), 114-121. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2018.24.1.012
- Molyneux, P. (2004). The use of the stable free radical dipheny lpicryl hydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin Journal of Science & Technology, 26, 211-219.
- National Institute of Agricultural sciences. (2017). Korea food composition table. Retrieved from: http://Koreafood.rda.go.kr/kfi/fct/fctFoodSrch/list
- Noh, M. H. (2005). The quality properties of Seolgiddeok added with stevia leaf powder (Master's thesis). Sunchon National University.
- Park, H. K., Yim, S. M., Sohn, K. H., & Kim, H. J. (2001). Preparation of semi-solid infant foods using sweet-pumpkin. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 30(6), 1108-1114.
- Park, J. E., Kee, H. J., & Cha, Y. S. (2010). Effect of Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni leaf extract on antiobesity in C57BL/6J mice. Korean Journal of Food Science & Technology, 42(5), 586-592.
- Park, M. Y. (2010). Quality properties of Woogem yanggaeng fermented by lactic acid bacteria and Bacillus subtilis (Master's thesis). Sunchon National University.
- Park, S. H., & Sim, K. H. (2017). Quality characteristics and antioxidant properties of Omija-pyun(Schisandra chinensis jelly) added with stevia leaf powder. The Korean Journal of Food & Nutrition, 30(4), 653-664. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2017.30.4.653
- Seong, K. C., Lee, J. W., Kwon, H. M., Moon, D. Y., Kim, C. H., & Seo, H. D. (2004). Effect of planting date on the growth and yield in retarding culture of squash(Cucurita maxima) under rain-shielding condition. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology, 22(2), 143-146.
- Shankar, P., Ahuja, S., & Siram, K. (2013). Non-nutritive sweeteners: review and update. Nutrition, 29, 1293-1299 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2013.03.024
- Song, J. E., Hyun, Y. H., Byun, J. W., Back, S. H., Kim, J. W., Jeon, G. S., & Kim, M. J. (2010). The principles of cooking. Seoul, Korea: Beaksan Publishing. pp. 273-277.
- Yamamoto, N., Mizue, S., Sano, K., Takano, N., Miyamoto, A., Ueno, Y., ... Mochizuki, S. (2001). Characterization of food composition and functionality of herbs cultivated in Oita. Report 36, Oita Japan, 144-149.
- Yoo, S. S., & Hong, Y. J. (2012). Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of cookies with stevia powder. Korean Journal of Food & Cookery Science, 28(6), 665-673. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.6.665
- Yu, M. H., Im, H. G., Lee, H. J., JI, Y. J., & Lee, I. S. (2006). Components and their antioxidantive activities of methanol extracts from sarcocarp and seed of Zizyphus jujuba var. inermis Rehder. Korean Journal of Food Science & Technology, 38(1), 128-134.