- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Optimization of White Pan Bread added with Wheat Sprout Powder
밀싹분말을 첨가한 식빵의 최적화 연구
- Joo, Shin-Youn (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Daejin University) ;
- Park, Jong-Dae (Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang (Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Sung, Jung-Min (Korean Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2018.01.17
- Accepted : 2018.03.09
- Published : 2018.03.31
The purpose of this study was to determine the optimization mixing ratio of wheat sprout powder (WSP) and hemicellulase for the preparation of white pan bread. Using a response surface methodology, independent variables were WSP and hemicellulase. Dependent variables were physicochemical properties, antioxidant properties and sensory evaluation. Water binding capacity of dough increased with increasing WSP. Color value showed positive correlations with WSP. L value decreased and a, b values increased as WSP increased. The adjusted determination coefficient of texture analysis was calculated to be 0.7230~0.9446 having the p-value less than 0.1. Specific volume of bread showed a positive correlation with hemicellulase and a negative correlation with WSP. DPPH radical scavenging activity and total polyphenol were represented by a linear model and showed positive correlations with WSP. Sensory evaluation were represented by a quadratic model. In conclusion, the optimal formulation for WSP added bread, as assessed by numerical and graphical optimization methods, was WSP 2.36%, hemicellulase 0.069% per wheat flour 100 g. The above results indicate that WSP can be used as health-oriented material in the bread industry. This is also expected to meet demands of consumers who are in the pursuit of healthy food.
Supported by : 농림축산식품부
- American Association of Cereal Chemists (2000). Approved method of American Association of Cereal Chemistry. 10th, Association. St. Paul. MN. USA.
- Amici, M., Bonfili, L., Spina, M., Cecarini, V., Calzuola, I., Marsili, V., ... Eleuteri, A. M. (2008). Wheat sprout extract induces changes on 20S proteasomes functionality. Biochimie, 90(5), 790-801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2007.12.001
- An, H. L., Lee, K. S., & Park, S. J. (2008). Quality characteristics of white pan bread with mesangi (Capsosiphon fulvecense). Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 18(4), 563-568.
- Bae, J. Y., Park, L. Y., & Lee, S. H. (2008). Effects of Salicornia herbacea L. powder on making wheat flour bread. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 37(7), 908-913. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.7.908
- Choi, K. S. & Oh, Y. J. (2008). Effect of steam-dried Hizikia fusiformis powder on the rheological and sensory profile of bread. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 14(1), 11-20. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2008.14.1.002002002
- Choi, S. N., & Chung, N. Y. (2007). The quality characteristics of bread with added buckwheat powder. Korean Journal of Food & Cookery Science, 23(5), 664-670.
- Chung, E. S., & An, S. H. (2015). Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of muffins added with wheat sprout powder. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 21(4), 207-220. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2015.21.4.015015015
- Collins, J. L., & Post, A. K. (1981). Peanut hull flour as a potential source of dietary fiber. Journal of Food Science, 46(2), 445-448. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb04881.x
- Donkor, O. N., Stojanovsk, L., Ginn, P., Ashton, J., & Vasiljevic, T. (2012). Germinated grains sources bioactive compounds. Food Chemistry, 135(3), 950-959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.05.058
- Haseborg, E. & Himmelstein, A. (1988). Quality problems with high-fibre breads solved by use of hemicellulase enzymes'. Cereal Foods World, 33(5), 419-422.
- Jeong, E. Y., Sung, B. K., Song, H. Y., Yang, J. Y., Kim, D. K., & Lee, H. S. (2010). Antioxidative and antimicrobial activities of active materials derived from Triticum aestivum sprouts. Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, 53(4), 519-524. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2010.080
- Jeong, H. C., & Yoo, S. S. (2014). Quality characteristics of pan bread added with color barley powder. Culinary Science & Hospitality Research, 20(4), 127-143.
- Ki, M. R., Kim, R. Y., & Chun, S. S. (2005). Effects of Kimchi powder on the quality of white bread dough. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 15(3), 334-339.
- Kim, J. K., Kim, Y. H., Oh, J. C., & Yu, H. H. (2012). Optimization of white pan bread preparation via addition of purple barley flour and olive oil by response surface methodology. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 41(12), 1813-1822. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.12.1813
- Kim, M. Y., Lee, J. H., & Lee, S. K. (2009). Quality characteristics of white pan bread containing HPMC, MC, and sodium alginate. Korean Journal of Food Science & Technology, 41(3), 278-283.
- Kim, Y. S., Kim, M. Y., & Chun, S. S. (2008). Quality characteristics of Nelumbo nucifera G. tea white bread with hemicellulase. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 37(10), 1294-1300. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.10.1294
- Ko, S. H., Bing, D. J., & Chun, S. S. (2013). Quality characteristics of white bread manufactured with Shinan Seomcho (Spinacia oleracea L.) powder. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 42(5), 766-773. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.5.766
- Kulkarni, S. D., Tilak, J., Acharya, R., Rajurkar, N. S., Devasagayam, T. P. A., & Reddy, A. V. R. (2006). Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum L.) as a function of growth under different conditions. Phytotherapy Research, 20(3), 218-227. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1838
- Lee, B. K. (2015). Quality characteristics of sponge cake with added powdered wheat and barley sprout (Master's thesis). Seoul National University.
- Lee, S. H., Lim, S. W., Lee, Y. M., Hur, J. M., Lee, H. S., & Kim, D. K. (2010). Anti-diabetic effects of Triticum aestivum L. water extracts in db/db mice as an animal model of diabetes mellitus type II. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy, 41(4), 282-288.
- Lee, S. H., Yun, M. S., Lee, J. H., Min, S. G., & Lee, S. K. (2005). Quality characteristics of white pan bread with olive oil. Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, 48(3), 217-221.
- Lee, Y. S. & Chung, H. J. (2013). Quality characteristics of muffins supplemented with freeze-dried apricot powder. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 42(6), 957-963. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.957
- Lee, Y. T., & Chang, H. G. (2003). Effect of waxy and normal hull-less barley flours on bread-making properies. Korean Journal of Food Science & Technology, 35(5), 918-923.
- Lee, Y. U., Huang, G. W., Liang, Z. C., & Mau, J. L. (2007). Antioxidant properties of three extracts from Pleurotus citrinopileatus. LWT-Food Science & Technology, 40(5), 823-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2006.04.002
- Legras, J. L., Merdinoglu, D., Cornuet, J. M., & Karst, F. (2007). Bread, beer and wine: Saccharomyces cerevisiae diversity reflects human history. Molecular Ecology, 16(10), 2091-2102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-294X.2007.03266.x
- Lin, J. Y., & Tang, C. Y. (2007). Determination of total phenolic and flavonoid contents in selecterd fruits and vegetables, as well as their stimulatory effects on mouse splenocyte proliferation. Food Chemistry, 101(1), 140-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.01.014
- Nagaoka, H. (2005). Treatment of germinated wheat to increase levels of GABA and IP6 catalyzed by endogenous enzymes. Biotechnology Progress, 21(2), 405-410. https://doi.org/10.1021/bp0496777
- Nelson, K., Stojanovska, L., Vasiljevic, T., & Mathai, M. (2015). Germinatied grains: a superior whole grain functional food. Canadian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology, 91(6), 429-441. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjpp-2012-0351
- Rural Development Administration. (2009). The study on development of processed goods with wheat sprout. Assessed February 3. Available from: http://www.nongsaro.go.kr/portal,menuId=PS-00075.
- Ryu, E. M., Choi, H. S., & Shin, H. J. (2014). Effect of coffee grounds' residue on the growth and chlorophyll content of Korean wheat sprout. Korean Society Biotech. Bioengin. Journal, 29(2), 106-111.
- Shin, G. M & Kim, D. Y. (2008). Quality characteristics of white pan bread by Angelica gigas Nakai powder. Korean Journal of Food Preservation, 15(4), 497-504.
- Shin, J. H., Choi, D. J., & Kwon, O. C. (2007). The quality characteristics of sponge cake with added steamed garlic powder. Korean Journal of Food & Cookery Science, 23(5), 692-702.
- Wang, S. J., Lee, J. H., & Lee, S. K. (2013). Effect of black garlic extracts on quality characteristics of white pan bread. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 42(8), 1283-1289. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.8.1283
- Yeom, K. H., Bing, D. J., Kim, M. Y., & Chun, S. S. (2016). Effects of hemicellulase on white bread added with brown rice fiber. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 45(3), 352-359. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.352
- Yoon, H. S., Kim, J. W., Kim, S. H., Kim, Y. G., & Eom, H. J. (2014). Quality characteristics of bread added with aronia powder (Aronia melanocarpa). Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science & Nutrition, 43(2), 273-280. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.273