- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relationship between water-holding capacity and intramuscular fat content in Japanese commercial pork loin
- Watanabe, Genya ;
- Motoyama, Michiyo ;
- Nakajima, Ikuyo ;
- Sasaki, Keisuke
- Received : 2017.08.30
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2018.06.01
Objective: The relationship between water-holding capacity (WHC) and intermuscular fat (IMF) was studied in Japanese commercial pork. Methods: Longissimus muscles of pigs (n = 62), obtained from two meat packing plants, were analyzed for IMF content, moisture content, drip loss, cooking loss, and pH. Pairwise relationships among these traits were determined using correlation analyses. Results: IMF content was significantly correlated with moisture content (r = -0.88; p<0.01) and pH (r = 0.32; p<0.05), but not with drip loss (r = -0.23; p = 0.07) or cooking loss (r = -0.10; p = 0.42). In contrast, drip loss was significantly (and negatively) correlated with pH (r = -0.57; p<0.01). Conclusion: IMF content was not significantly correlated with WHC in pork, and so ultimately, we consider pH to be one of the most important factors influencing WHC in pork meat.
Meat Quality;Pork;Water-holding Capacity;Drip Loss;Intramuscular Fat;pH
- Offer G, Knight P. The structural basis of water-holding in meat. Part 2: drip losses. In: Lawrie R, editor. Development in meat science, Vol. 4. London, UK: Elsevier Science Publications; 1988. p. 173-243.
- Ngapo TM, Martin JF, Dransfield E. International preferences for pork appearance: I. Consumer choices. Food Qual Prefer 2007;18:26-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2005.07.001
- Verbeke W, De Sme S, Vackier I, et al. Role of intrinsic search cues in the formation of consumer preferences and choice for pork chops. Meat Sci 2005;69:343-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.08.005
- Aaslyng MD, Bejerholm C, Ertbjerg P, Bertram HC, Andersen HJ. Cooking loss and juiciness of pork in relation to raw meat quality and cooking procedure. Food Qual Prefer 2003;14;277-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(02)00086-1
- DeVol DL, McKeith FK, Bechtel PJ, et al. Variation in composition and palatability traits and relationships between muscle characteristics and palatability in a random sample of pork carcasses. J Anim Sci 1988;66:385-95. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.662385x
- Fernandez X, Monin G, Talmant A, Mourot J, Lebret B. Influence of intramuscular fat content on the quality of pig meat - 1. Composition of the lipid fraction and sensory characteristics of m. longissimus lumborum. Meat Sci 1999;53:59-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00037-6
- Font-i-Furnols M, Tous N, Esteve-Garcia E, Gispert M. Do all the consumers accept marbling in the same way? The relationship between eating and visual acceptability of pork with different intramuscular fat content. Meat Sci 2012;91:448-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.02.030
- Rincker PJ, Killefer J, Ellis M, Brewer MS, McKeith FK. Intramuscular fat content has little influence on the eating quality of fresh pork loin chops. J Anim Sci 2008;86:730-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0490
- Newcom DW, Baas TJ, Schwab CR, Stalder KJ. Genetic and phenotypic relationships between individual subcutaneous backfat layers and percentage of longissimus intramuscular fat in Duroc swine. J Anim Sci 2005;83:316-23. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832316x
- Gerbens F, van Erp AJ, Harders FL, et al. Effect of genetic variants of the heart fatty acid-binding protein gene on intramuscular fat and performance traits in pigs. J Anim Sci 1999; 77:846-52. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.774846x
- Katsumata M, Kobayashi S, Matsumoto M, Tsuneishi E, Kaji Y. Reduced intake of dietary lysine promotes accumulation of intramuscular fat in the Longissimus dorsi muscles of finishing gilts. Anim Sci J 2005;76:237-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00261.x
- Cannata S, Engle TE, Moeller SJ, et al. Effect of visual marbling on sensory properties and quality traits of pork loin. Meat Sci 2010;85:428-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.02.011
- Daszkiewicz T, Bąk T, Denaburski J. Quality of pork with a different intramuscular fat (IMF) content. Pol J Food Nutr Sci 2005;14/55:31-6.
- Huff-Lonergan E, Baas TJ, Malek M, et al. Correlations among selected pork quality traits. J Anim Sci 2002;80:617-27. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803617x
- Irie M. Quality and evaluation for pork. J Anim Genet (Doubutsu Iden Ikusyu Kenkyu) 2006;34:33-44.
- Honikel KO. Moisture and water-holding capacity. In: Nollet LML, Toldra F, editors. Handbook of muscle foods analysis. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press; 2009. p. 315-34.
- Nold RA, Romans JR, Costello WJ, Libal GW. Characterization of muscles from boars, barrows, and gilts slaughtered at 100 or 110 kilograms: differences in fat, moisture, color, waterholding capacity, and collagen. J Anim Sci 1999;77:1746-54. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7771746x
- Kim JH, Seong PN, Cho SH, et al. Characterization of nutritional value for twenty - one pork muscles. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2008;21:138-43. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70208
- Lee SH, Choe JH, Choi YM, et al. The influence of pork quality traits and muscle fiber characteristics on the eating quality of pork from various breeds. Meat Sci 2012;90:284-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.07.012
- Doherty AM, Sheridan JJ, Allen P, McDowell DA, Blair IS. Physical characteristics of lamb primals packaged under vacuum or modified atmospheres. Meat Sci 1996;42:315-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00040-2
- Boler DD, Dilger AC, Bidner BS, et al. Ultimate pH explains variation in pork quality traits. J Muscle Foods 2010;21:119-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2009.00171.x
- Savell JW, Cross HR, Smith GC. Percentage ether extractable fat and moisture content of beef Longissimus muscle as related to USDA marbling score. J Food Sci 1986;51:838-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13946.x
- Ueda Y, Watanabe A, Higuchi M, et al. Effects of intramuscular fat deposition on the beef traits of Japanese Black steers (Wagyu). Anim Sci J 2007;78:189-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00424.x
- Offer G, Cousins T. The mechanism of drip production: formation of two compartments of extracellular-space in muscle post mortem. J Sci Food Agric 1992;58:107-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740580118
- Penny IF. Protein denaturation and water holding in pork muscle. Int J Food Sci Technol 1969;4:269-73.
- Offer G. Modelling of the formation of pale, soft and exudative meat: effects of chilling regime and rate and extent of glycolysis. Meat Sci 1991;30:157-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90005-B
- Guignot F, Vignon X, Monin G. Post mortem evolution of myofilament spacing and extracellular space in veal muscle. Meat Sci 1993;33:333-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(93)90005-3
- Bidner BS, Ellis M, Brewer MS, et al. Effect of ultimate pH on the quality characteristics of pork. J Muscle Foods 2004;15: 139-54. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2004.tb00717.x
- Geesink GH, Schreutelkamp FH, Frankhuizen R, et al. Prediction of pork quality attributes from near infrared reflectance spectra. Meat Sci 2003;65:661-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00269-3
- Prevolnik M, Candek-Potokar M, Novic M, Skorjanc D. An attempt to predict pork drip loss from pH and colour measurements or near infrared spectra using artificial neural networks. Meat Sci 2009;83:405-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.06.015
- Penny IF. The effect of temperature on the drip, denaturation and extracellular space of pork longissimus dorsi muscle. J Sci Food Agric 1977;28:329-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740280402
- Rosenvold K, Andersen HJ. The significance of pre-slaughter stress and diet on colour and colour stability of pork. Meat Sci 2003;63:199-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00071-2
- Goerl KF, Eilert SJ, Mandigo RW, Chen HY, Miller PS. Pork characteristics as affected by two populations of swine and six crude protein levels. J Anim Sci 1995;73:3621-6. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73123621x
- Hyun Y, Kim JD, Ellis M, et al. Effect of dietary leucine and lysine levels on intramuscular fat content in finishing pigs. Can J Anim Sci 2007;87:303-6. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS06042
- Buckley DJ, Morrissey PA, Gray JI. Influence of dietary vitamin E on the oxidative stability and quality of pig meat. J Anim Sci 1995;73:3122-30. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73103122x
- Effects of the plane of nutrition for grower pigs on their grow-finish performance and meat quality in winter vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.1
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries