- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Substitution of soybean meal with detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal: Effects on performance, nutrient utilization, and meat edibility of growing pigs
- Li, Yang (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Chen, Ling (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Zhang, Yuhui (College of Life Science, Sichuan Agricultural University) ;
- Wu, Jianmei (College of Food Science, Sichuan Agricultural University) ;
- Lin, Yan (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Fang, Zhengfeng (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Che, Lianqiang (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Xu, Shengyu (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute) ;
- Wu, De (Key Laboratory for Animal Disease-Resistance Nutrition of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Nutrition Institute)
- Received : 2017.07.01
- Accepted : 2017.11.01
- Published : 2018.06.01
Objective: The study was conducted to investigate the effects of replacing soybean meal (SBM) with different levels of detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal (DJM) in growing pig diets on growth performance, nutrients digestibility and meat edibility. Methods: A total of 144 pigs with initial body weight of
Supported by : Ministry of Education of China
- Chivandi E, Erlwanger KH, Makuza SM, Read JS, Mtimuni JP. Effects of dietary Jatropha curcas meal on percent packed cell volume, serum glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride concentration and alpha-amylase activity of weaned fattening pigs. Res J Anim Vet Sci 2006;1:18-24.
- Openshaw KA. A review of Jatropha curcas: an oil plant unfulfilled promise. Biomass Bioenergy 2000;19:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(00)00019-2
- Andrew JK. Potential of Jatropha curcas as a source of renewable oil and animal feed. J Exp Bot 2009;60:2897-905. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erp025
- Adam SEI. Toxic effects of Jatropha curcas in mice. Toxicology 1974;2:67-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-483X(74)90043-2
- Liberalino AAA, Bambirra EA, Moraes-Santos T, Viera CE. Jatropha curcas L. seeds: chemical analysis and toxicity. Arquivos de Biologia e Tecnologia 1988;31:539-50.
- El-Badwi SM, Adam SE. Toxic effects of low levels of dietary Jatropha curcas seed on brown Hisex chicks. Vet Hum Toxicol 1992;34:112-5.
- Makkar HPS, Becker K, Sporer F, Wink M. Studies on nutritive potential and toxic constituents of different provenanaces of Jatropha curcas. J Agric Food Chem 1997;45:3152-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970036j
- Makkar HPS, Aderibigbe O, Becker K. Comparative evaluation of non-toxic and toxic varieties of Jatropha curcas for chemical composition, digestibility, protein degradability and toxic factors. Food Chem 1998;62:207-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00183-0
- Makkar HPS, Becker K. Jatropha curcas toxicity: identification of toxic principle(s). 5th International Symposium on Poisonous Plants; 2007a May 19 -23; San Angelo, TX, USA.
- Makkar HPS, Becker K. Potential of J. curcas seed meal as a protein supplement to livestock feed, constraints to its utilization and possible strategies to overcome constraints. In: Gubitz GM, Mittelbach M, Teabi M, editors. Biofuels and industrial products from Jatropha curcas. Managua, Nicaragua: DBV fur die Technische Universitat Graz; 1997. pp. 190-205.
- Kumar V, Makkar HPS, Becker K. Detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal as a dietary protein source: growth performance, nutrient utilization and digestive enzymes in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) fingerlings. Aquac Nutr 2011;17:313-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2095.2010.00777.x
- Li Y, Chen L, Lin Y, et al. Effects of replacing soybean meal with detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal in the diet on growth performance and histopathological parameters of growing pigs. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2015;204:18-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2015.02.002
- Latimer GW. AOAC International. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 19th ed. Gaithersburg, MD, USA: AOAC International; 2012.
- Bassler R, Buchholz H. Amino acid analysis. Methodenbuch: Die Chemische Untersuchung von Futtermitteln 1993;3:1-5.
- Pinter-Szakacs M, Molnar-Perl I. Determination of tryptophan in unhydrolyzed food and feedstuffs by the acid ninhydrin method. J Agric Food Chem 1990;38:720-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00093a028
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 1998.
- Marquardt RR, Jin LZ, Kim JW, et al. Passive protective effect of egg-yolk antibodies against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli K88+ infectionin neonatal and early-weaned piglets. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 1999;23:283-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-695X.1999.tb01249.x
- Jin L, Reynolds LP, Redmer DA, Caton JS, Crenshaw JD. Effects of dietary fiber on intestinal growth, cell proliferation, and morphology in growing pigs. J Anim Sci 1994;72:2270-8. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7292270x
- Smith C, VanMegen W, Twaalfhoven L, Hitchcook C. The determinations of trypsin inhibitor levels in foodstuffs. J Agric Food Chem 1980;31:341-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740310403
- Liu K, Markakis P. Trypsin inhibition assay as related to limited hydrolysis of inhibitors. Anal Biochem 1980;178:159-65.
- Makkar HPS, Francis G, Becker K. Bioactivity of phytochemicals in some lesser-known plants and their effects and potential applications in livestock and aquaculture production systems. Animal 2007;1:1371-91.
- Kong C, Adeola O. Evaluation of amino acid and energy utilization in feedstuff for swine and poultry diets. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2014;27:917-25. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.r.02
- Makkar HPS. State-of-the-art on detoxification of Jatropha curcas products aimed for use as animal and fish feed: a review. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2016;222:87-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2016.09.013
- Kumar V, Makkar HPS, Amselgruber W, Becker K. Physiological, haematological and histopathological responses in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) fingerlings fed with differently detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:2063-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.05.007
- Aregheore EM, Becker K, Makkar HPS. Detoxification of a toxic variety of Jatropha curcas using heat and chemical treatments, and preliminary nutritional evaluation with rats. South Pac J Natur Appl Sci 2003;21:51-6.
- Becker K, Makkar HPS. Effects of phorbol esters in carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Vet Hum Toxicol 1998;40:82-6.
- Heo JM, Opapeju FO, Pluske JR, et al. Gastrointestinal health and function in weaned pigs: a review of feeding strategies to control post-weaning diarrhoea without using in-feed antimicrobial compounds. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2013;97: 207-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2012.01284.x
- Yason CV, Summers BA, Schat KA. Pathogenesis of rotavirus infection in various age groups of chickens and turkeys: pathology. Am J Vet Res 1987;48:927-38.
- Wang DG. Research of effects and mechanism of Jatropha curcas kernel meal on performance and health in broilers [Ph.D. Thesis]. Sichuan, China: Sichuan Agricultural University; 2012.
- Rakshit KD, Darukeshwara J, Rathina Raj K, et al. Toxicity studies of detoxified Jatropha meal (Jatropha curcas) in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:3621-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.09.010