- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of cashew nut testa levels as an alternative to wheat bran in gestating sow diets
- Fang, Lin Hu ;
- Hong, Young Gi ;
- Hong, Jin Su ;
- Jeong, Jae Hark ;
- Han, Young Geol ;
- Kwon, In Hyuk ;
- Kim, Yoo Yong
- Received : 2017.08.11
- Accepted : 2017.11.17
- Published : 2018.06.01
Objective: This study was conducted to evaluate the effects of dietary cashew nut testa (CNT) as an alternative feed ingredient to wheat bran on reproductive performance, litter performance, milk composition, and blood profiles of gestating sows. Methods: Forth multiparous sows (
Cashew Nut Testa;Wheat Bran;Gestating Sow;Lactating Sow;Reproductive Performance
- Armstrong D, Attoh-Kotoku V, Kwame RO, Gascar R. Evaluation of nutritional quality of dried cashew nut testa using laboratory rat as a model for pigs. Sci World J 2012;2012: Article ID 984249.
- Stein HH. Distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) in diets fed to swine. Swine Focus 2007;001.
- Patience JF. Managing energy intake and costs of grow-finish pigs. Adv Pork Prod 2013;24:29-35.
- Okon BI, Ogunmodede BK. Effects of replacing dietary fish meal with periwinkle flesh on the performance of broiler chickens [BSc Dissertation]. Ibadan, Nigeria: University of Ibadan;1995.
- Nelson FS, Ameleke GY, Donkoh A, Lamptey V. Use of locally available agro-industrial by-products (AIBPs) for egg production in the western region of Ghana. The results of an onfarmtrial in Proceedings of the Ghana Society of Animal Production Symposium. 2007;15:103-7.
- Rhule SWA, Okai DB, Addo-Kwafo S, Ameleke GY. Feed package for pigs in Ghana using AIBPs: solution to feeding constraints. In Proceedings of the Ghana Society of Animal Production Symposium. 2007:15:135-9.
- Donkoh A, Attoh-Kotoku V. Nutritive value of feedstuffs for poultry in Ghana: chemical composition, apparent metabolizable energy and ileal amino acid digestibility. Livest Res Rural Dev 2009;21:Article #32.
- Donkoh A, Zanu HK. Development of feed package for layers using low energy agro-industrial by products. African J Agric Res 2010:5:2782-6.
- Kim YY. Swine management and nutrition. Seoul, Korea: Seoul National University Press; 2012.
- Committee on Nutrient Requirements of Swine, National Research Council. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 1998.
- Mullan BP, Williams IH. The effect of body reserves at farrowing on the reproductive performance of first-litter sows. Anim Prod 1989;48:449-57. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040459
- Yang H, Eastham AR, Phillips A, Whittmore CT. Reproductive performance, body weight and body condition of breeding sows with differing body fatness at parturition, differing nutrition during lactation, differing litter size. Anim Prod 1989;48: 181-201. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100003901
- Stevenson JS, Britt JB. Interval to estrus in sows and performance of pigs after alteration of litter size during late lactation. J Anim Sci 1981;53:177-81. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.531177x
- King RH, Williams HI. The effects of nutrition on the reproductive performance of first litter sows, 2. Protein and energy intakes during lactation. Anim Prod 1984;38:249-56. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100002245
- Baidoo SK, Aherne FX, Kirkwood RN, Foxcroft GR. Effect of feed intake during lactation and after weaning on sow reproductive performance. Can J Anim Sci 1992;72:911-7. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-103
- Foxcroft GR, Aherne FX, Clowes EC, Miller H, Zak LJ. Sow fertility: the role of suckling inhibition and metabolic status. In: Ivan M, editor. Animal science research and development. Moving Toward a New Century. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Centre for Food and Animal Research; 1995. pp. 377-93.
- Matte JJ, Robert G, Girard CL, Farmer C, Martineau GP. Effect of bulky diets based on wheat bran or oat hulls on reproductive performance of sows during their first two parities. J Anim Sci 1994;72:1745-60.
- Danielsen V, Vestergaard EM. Dietary fiber for pregnant sow: effect on performance and behavior. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2001;90:71-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00197-3
- Renteria-Flores JA, Johnston LJ, Shurson GC, Moser RL, Webel SK. Effect of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber on embryo survival and sow performance. J Anim Sci 2008;86:2576-84. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0376
- Sapkota A, Marchant JN, Richert BT, Lay DC. Including dietary fiber and resistant starch to increase satiety and reduce aggression in gestating sow. J Anim Sci 2016;94:2117-27. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-0013
- Klaver J, Van Kempen GJM, De Lange PGB, Verstegen MWA, Boer H. Milk composition and daily yield of different milk components as affected by sow condition and lactation/feeding regimen. J Anim Sci 1981;52:1091-7. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5251091x
- Jackson JR, Hurley WL, Easter RA, Jensen AH, Odle J. Effects of induced or delayed parturition and supplemental dietary fat on colostrum and milk composition in sows. J Anim Sci 1995;73:1906-13. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7371906x
- Daza A, Rioperez J, Centeno C. Short communication. Changes in the composition of sows' milk between days 5 to 26 of lactation. Span J Agric Res 2004;2:333-6. https://doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2004023-102
- Fulks RM, Li JB, Goldberg AL. Effects of insulin, glucose, and amino acids on protein turnover in rat diaphragm. J Biol Chem 1975;250:290-8.
- Weldon WC, Lewis AJ, Louis GF, Kovar JL, Miller PS. Postpartum hypophagia in primiparous sows. II. Effects of feeding level during gestation and exogenous insulin on lactation feed intake, glucose tolerance, and epinephrine stimulated release of nonesterified fatty acids and glucose. J Anim Sci 1994;72: 395-403. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.722395x
- Le CY, David C, Beaumal V, Johansen S, Dourmad JY. Effect of the feeding level during rearing on performance of Large White gilts. Part 2: Effect on metabolite profiles during gestation and lactation, and on glucose tolerance. Nutr Dev 1998;38: 377-90. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19980403
- Long HF, Ju WS, Piao LG, Kim YY. Effect of dietary energy levels of gestating sows on physiological parameters and reproductive performance. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2010;23: 1080-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10053
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration