- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Applications of capacitation status for litter size enhancement in various pig breeds
- Kwon, Woo-Sung ;
- Shin, Dong-Ha ;
- Ryu, Do-Yeal ;
- Khatun, Amena ;
- Rahman, Md Saidur ;
- Pang, Myung-Geol
- Received : 2017.10.16
- Accepted : 2017.12.02
- Published : 2018.06.01
Objective: Several studies have reported the development of new molecular methods for the prognosis and diagnosis of male fertility based on biomarkers aimed at overcoming the limitations of conventional male fertility analysis tools. However, further studies are needed for the field application of these methods. Therefore, alternative methods based on existing semen analysis methods are required to improve production efficiency in the animal industry. Methods: we examined the possibility of improving litter size in various pig breeds using combined Hoechst 33258/chlortetracycline fluorescence (H33258/CTC) staining. The correlation between field fertility and capacitation status by combined H33258/CTC staining in different ejaculates spermatozoa (n = 3) from an individual boar (20 Landrace, 20 Yorkshire, and 20 Duroc) was evaluated as well as overall accuracy. Results: The acrosome reacted (AR) pattern after capacitation (%) was positively correlated with the litter size of Landrace, Yorkshire, and Duroc pigs and the overall accuracy was 75%, 75%, and 70% in Landrace, Yorkshire, and Duroc pigs, respectively. The difference (
Litter Size;Capacitation Status;Boar Spermatozoa;Breeds;Fertility
- Robinson JA, Buhr MM. Impact of genetic selection on management of boar replacement. Theriogenology 2005;63:668-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.09.040
- Budworth PR, Amann RP, Chapman PL. Relationships between computerized measurements of motion of frozenthawed bull spermatozoa and fertility. J Androl 1988;9:41-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1939-4640.1988.tb01007.x
- Bonde JP, Ernst E, Jensen TK, et al. Relation between semen quality and fertility: a population-based study of 430 firstpregnancy planners. Lancet 1998;352:1172-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(97)10514-1
- Oh SA, You YA, Park YJ, Pang MG. The sperm penetration assay predicts the litter size in pigs. Int J Androl 2010;33:604-12.
- Oh SA, Park YJ, You YA, Mohamed EA, Pang MG. Capacitation status of stored boar spermatozoa is related to litter size of sows. Anim Reprod Sci 2010;121:131-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2010.05.019
- Milardi D, Grande G, Vincenzoni F, Castagnola M, Marana R. Proteomics of human seminal plasma: identification of biomarker candidates for fertility and infertility and the evolution of technology. Mol Reprod Dev 2013;80:350-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.22178
- Lewis SE. Is sperm evaluation useful in predicting human fertility? Reproduction 2007;134:31-40. https://doi.org/10.1530/REP-07-0152
- Park YJ, Kwon WS, Oh SA, Pang MG. Fertility-related proteomic profiling bull spermatozoa separated by percoll. J Proteome Res 2012;11:4162-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr300248s
- Kwon WS, Rahman MS, Lee JS, et al. Discovery of predictive biomarkers for litter size in boar spermatozoa. Mol Cell Proteomics 2015;14:1230-40. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M114.045369
- Kwon WS, Rahman MS, Ryu DY, Park YJ, Pang MG. Increased male fertility using fertility-related biomarkers. Sci Rep 2015; 5:15654. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep15654
- Kwon WS, Oh SA, Kim YJ, et al. Proteomic approaches for profiling negative fertility markers in inferior boar spermatozoa. Sci Rep 2015;5:13821. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep13821
- Gillan L, Evans G, Maxwell WM. Flow cytometric evaluation of sperm parameters in relation to fertility potential. Theriogenology 2005;63:445-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2004.09.024
- Kwon WS, Rahman MS, Lee JS, You YA, Pang MG. Improving litter size by boar spermatozoa: application of combined H33258/CTC staining in field trial with artificial insemination. Andrology 2015;3:552-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/andr.12020
- Almond G, Britt J, Flowers B, et al. The awine A.I. book. Raleigh, NC, USA: Morgan Morrow Press; 1998.
- Kwon WS, Rahman MS, Lee JS, et al. A comprehensive proteomic approach to identifying capacitation related proteins in boar spermatozoa. BMC Genomics 2014;15:897. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-15-897
- de Mateo S, Martinez-Heredia J, Estanyol JM, et al. Marked correlations in protein expression identified by proteomic analysis of human spermatozoa. Proteomics 2007;7:4264-77. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200700521
- Secciani F, Bianchi L, Ermini L, et al. Protein profile of capacitated versus ejaculated human sperm. J Proteome Res 2009;8: 3377-89. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr900031r
- Chang MC. Fertilizing capacity of spermatozoa deposited into the fallopian tubes. Nature 1951;168:697-8.
- Austin CR. Observations on the penetration of the sperm in the mammalian egg. Aust J Sci Res B 1995;4:581-96.
- Suarez SS, Dai X. Hyperactivation enhances mouse sperm capacity for penetrating viscoelastic media. Biol Reprod 1992; 46:686-91. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod46.4.686
- Suarez SS. Control of hyperactivation in sperm. Hum Reprod Update 2008;14:647-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmn029
- Visconti PE. Understanding the molecular basis of sperm capacitation through kinase design. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009;6:667-8.
- Rahman MS, Kwon WS, Pang MG. Calcium influx and male fertility in the context of the sperm proteome: an update. Biomed Res Int 2014;2014:Article ID 841615.
- Kwon WS, Park YJ, Kim YH, et al. Vasopressin effectively suppresses male fertility. PLoS ONE 2013;8:e5419.
- Kwon WS, Park YJ, Mohamed el-SA, Pang MG. Voltage-dependent anion channels are a key factor of male fertility. Fertil Steril 2013;99:354-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.09.021
- Naz RK. Involvement of protein tyrosine phosphorylation of human sperm in capacitation/acrosome reaction and zona pellucida binding. Front Biosci 1996;1:206-13. https://doi.org/10.2741/A126
- Fraser LR. Sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction. Hum Reprod 1998;13:9-19.
- Breitbart H, Cohen G, Rubinstein S. Role of actin cytoskeleton in mammalian sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction. Reproduction 2005;129:263-8. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.1.00269
- Fraser LR, Quinn PJ. A glycolytic product is obligatory for initiation of the sperm acrosome reaction and whiplash motility required for fertilization in the mouse. J Reprod Fertil 1981; 61:25-35. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0610025
- Zaneveld LJ, De Jonge CJ, Anderson RA, Mack SR. Human sperm capacitation and the acrosome reaction. Hum Reprod 1991;6:1265-74. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.humrep.a137524
- Suarez SS, Varosi SM, Dai X. Intracellular calcium increases with hyperactivation in intact,moving hamster sperm and oscillates with the flagellar beat cycle. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1993;90:4660-4. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.90.10.4660
- Breitbart H. Signaling pathways in sperm capacitation and acrosome reaction. Cell Mol Biol 2003;49:321-7.
- Marquez B, Suarez SS. Soluble adenylyl cyclase is required for activation of sperm but does not have a direct effect on hyperactivation. Reprod Fertil Dev 2008;20:247-52. https://doi.org/10.1071/RD07146
- Serine Protease Inhibitor SERPINE2 Reversibly Modulates Murine Sperm Capacitation vol.19, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19051520
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET)