- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Semi-active fuzzy based control system for vibration reduction of a SDOF structure under seismic excitation
- Braz-Cesar, Manuel T. (Department of Applied Mechanics, Polytechnic Institute of Braganca, Campus de Santa Apolonia) ;
- Barros, Rui C. (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto)
- 투고 : 2017.11.26
- 심사 : 2018.03.09
- 발행 : 2018.04.25
This paper presents the application of a semi-active fuzzy based control system for seismic response reduction of a single degree-of-freedom (SDOF) framed structure using a Magnetorheological (MR) damper. Semi-active vibration control with MR dampers has been shown to be a viable approach to protect building structures from earthquake excitation. Moreover, intelligent damping systems based on soft-computing techniques such as fuzzy logic models have the inherent robustness to deal with typical uncertainties and non-linearities present in civil engineering structures. Thus, the proposed semi-active control system uses fuzzy logic based models to simulate the behavior of MR damper and also to develop the control algorithm that computes the required control signal to command the actuator. The results of the numerical simulations show the effectiveness of the suggested semi-active control system in reducing the response of the SDOF structure.
- Askari, M., Li, J. and Samali, B. (2016), "Semi-active control of smart building-MR damper systems using novel TSK-Inv and max-min algorithms", Smart Struct. Syst., 18(5), 1005-1028. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.5.1005
- Banna, K., Asan, G.A., Muthalif, M., Mahbubur, R. and Sharmila, F. (2012), "Fuzzy-PID controller for semi-Active vibration control using magnetorheological fluid damper", Procedia Eng., 41, 1221-1227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.07.304
- Braz-Cesar, M. and Barros, R. (2015a), "Neuro-fuzzy modeling of a sponge-type MR damper", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (COMPDYN 2011), Corfu, Greece, May.
- Braz-Cesar, M. and Barros, R. (2015b), "Neuro-fuzzy control of structures using MR dampers", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference Dynamical Systems - Theory and Applications (DSTA2015), Lodz, Poland, December.
- Braz-Cesar, M. and Barros, R. (2016), "Fuzzy based control and modelling of a MR damper for vibration reduction of SDOF structural systems", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Integrity, Reliability and Failure, Porto, Portugal (IRF2016), Porto, Portugal, July.
- Braz Cesar, M. and Barros, R. (2012), "Experimental behaviour and numerical analysis of MR dampers", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Carlson, J.D. (2007), "Semi-active vibration suppression", In CISM Course: Semi-Active Vibration Suppression-the Best from Active and Passive Technologies, Udine, Italy, October.
- Casciati, F. and Rossi, R. (2003), "Dynamics of structural systems with devices driven by fuzzy controllers understanding fuzzy rules", IUTAM Symposium on Dynamics of Advanced Materials and Smart Structures, 106 (Solid Mechanics and Its Applications), 29-40.
- Casciati, F., Faravelli, L. and Torelli, G. (1999), "A fuzzy chip controller for nonLinear vibrations", Nonlinear Dynam., 20(1), 85-98. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008345902669
- Casciati, F., Faravelli, L. and Yao, T. (1996), "Control of nonlinear structures using the fuzzy control approach", Nonlinear Dynam., 11(2), 171-187. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00045000
- Choi, K., Cho, S., Jung, H. and Lee, I. (2004), "Semi-active fuzzy control for seismic response reduction using magnetorheological dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 33(6), 723-736. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.372
- Faravelli, L. and Rossi, R. (2000), "Fuzzy chip controller implementation", (Eds., F. Casciati and G. Magonette), Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Structural Control - Structural Control for Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, World Scientific, Singapore.
- Faravelli, L. and Rossi, R. (2002), "Adaptive Fuzzy Control: Theory versus Implementation", J. Struct. Control, 9(1), 59-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.5
- Ghaffarzadeh, H. (2013), "Semi-active structural fuzzy control with MR dampers subjected to near-fault ground motions having forward directivity and fling step", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(6), 595-617. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.6.595
- Huang, Z., Wu, C. and Hsu, D. (2009), "Semi-active fuzzy control of MR damper on structures by genetic algorithm", J. Mech., 25(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1727719100003543
- Jang, J., Sun, C. and Mizutani, E. (1997), Neuro-Fuzzy and Soft Computing, Prentice Hall Inc.
- Kim, H., Roschke, P., Lin, P. and Loh, C. (2006), "Neuro-fuzzy model of hybrid semi-active base isolation system with FPS bearings and a MR damper", Eng. Struct., 28(7), 947-958. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.09.029
- Passino, K.M. and Yurkovich, S. (1998), Fuzzy control, Addison Wesley Longman Inc.
- Pourzeynali, S., Salimi, S., Yousefisefat, M. and Kalesar, H. (2016), "Robust multi-objective optimization of STMD device to mitigate buildings vibrations", Earthq. Struct., 11(2).
- Schurter, K.C. and Roschke, P.N. (2001), "Neuro-fuzzy control of structures using acceleration feedback", Smart Mater. Struct., 10, 770-779. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/10/4/322
- Spencer, Jr., B.F., Dyke, S.J., Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1997), "Phenomenological model of a magnetorheological damper", J. Eng. Mech., 123,230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Wang, H. and Wu, H. (2009), "The neuro-fuzzy identification of MR damper", Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, Tianjin, China, August.
- Wilson, C. and Abdullah, M. (2005), "Structural vibration reduction using fuzzy control of magnetorheological dampers", Proceedings of the ASCE structures congress, New York, USA, April.