- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The effect of internal axial forces of a cantilever beam with a lumped mass at its free end
- Zhang, Jinfu (Department of Engineering Mechanics, Northwestern Polytechnical University)
- Received : 2017.10.15
- Accepted : 2017.11.27
- Published : 2018.06.25
When a cantilever beam with a lumped mass at its free end undergoes free transverse vibration, internal axial forces are produced in the beam. Such internal axial forces have an effect on free transverse vibration of the beam. This effect is studied in this paper. The equations of motion for the beam in terms of the generalized coordinates including the effect are derived. The method for determining free transverse vibration of the beam including the effect is presented. In numerical simulations, the results of free transverse vibration of the free end of the beam including and not including the effect are obtained. Based on comparison between the results obtained, the conclusions concerning the effect are given.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Beri, B., Stepan, G. and Hogan, S.J. (2017), "Effect of potential energy variation on the natural frequency of an euler-bernoulli cantilever beam under lateral force and compression", ASME J. Appl. Mech., 84(5), 051002. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4036094
- Butt, R. (2009), Introduction to Numerical Analysis Using MATLAB, Jones and Bartlett Publisher, Sudbury, Canada.
- Cha, P.D. and Hu, S. (2017), "Exact frequency equation of a linear structure carrying lumped elements using the assumed modes method", ASME J. Vibr. Acoust., 139(3), 031005. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4035382
- Choi, C.K. and Yoo, H.H. (2017), "Stochastic modeling and vibration analysis of rotating beams considering geometric random fields", J. Sound Vibr., 388, 105-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.10.030
- Dukkipati, R.V. and Srinivas, J. (2004), Textbook of Mechanical Vibrations, Prentice-Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi, India.
- Geradin, M. and Rixen, D. (1997), Mechanical Vibrations: Theory and Application to Structural Dynamics, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, U.S.A.
- Kelly, S.G. (2012), Mechanical Vibrations: Theory and Applications, Cengage Learning, Stamford, CT, U.S.A.
- Li, F.M. and Song, Z.G. (2014), "Aeroelastic flutter analysis for 2D kirchhoff and mindlin panels with different boundary conditions in supersonic airflow", Acta Mech., 225(12), 3339-3351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-014-1141-1
- Li, Q., Wang, T. and Ma, X. (2010), "A note on the foreshortening effect of a flexible beam under oblique excitation", Multib. Syst. Dyn., 23(2), 209-225. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11044-009-9180-4
- Magrab, E.B. (2012), Vibrations of Elastic Systems, Springer, New York, U.S.A.
- Mao, J. and Chen, H.Y. (2016), Mechanical Vibrations, Beijing Institute of Technology Press, Beijing, China.
- Meirovitch, L. (2001), Fundamentals of Vibrations, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, U.S.A.
- Mobley, R.K. (1999), Vibration Fundamentals, Butterworth-Heinemann, Woburn, MA, U.S.A.
- Ni, Z.H. (1989), Mechanics of Vibration, Xi'an Jiaotong University Press, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China.
- Rao, S.S. (2007), Vibration of Continuous Systems, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, U.S.A.
- Svetlitsky, V.A. (2005), Dynamics of Rods, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- Thomson, W.T. and Dahleh, M.D. (1997), Theory of Vibration with Applications, 5th Edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, U.S.A.