- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A proposal of simple evaluation on the seismic performance of tunnel lining
터널 라이닝의 내진성능 간편 평가법 제안
- Ahn, Jae-Kwang (Earthquake and Volcano Research Division, Korea Meteorological Administration) ;
- Byun, Yoseph (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Lee, Gyuphil (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Lee, Seongwon (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology)
- Received : 2018.01.25
- Accepted : 2018.02.26
- Published : 2018.03.31
The country has built and is operating IT-based integrated management system for efficient management of national highway tunnels used publicly these days. Since this system doesn't include the management function on earthquakes, it is impossible to promptly respond to earthquakes and to select the sections requiring seismic reinforcement. Tunnels designed and constructed after 1999 have been subjected to seismic design for an earthquake with a return period 1000 years. Therefore, it is necessary to evaluate the stability of structures in case of earthquakes more than this. Since it takes a lot of time to perform the stability evaluation on various earthquake magnitudes, a method that can easily evaluate earthquakes is needed. In this paper, the empirical simplification method that can easily evaluate the earthquake was proposed. For this, the study calculated ground displacement by conducting one-dimensional ground response analysis, and examined the safety of tunnels in the event of occurrence of an earthquake using two means of response displacement method (analytics and numerical analysis).
Grant : 도심지 소단면(φ3.5 m급) 터널식 공동구 설계 및 시공 핵심기술 개발, 수치예보.지진업무 지원 및 활용 연구
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원, 기상청
- Agency, F.E.M. (2003), "HAZUS-MH MR4 technical manual", FEMA Washington, DC.
- Ahn, J.K., Park, D.H., Kim, D.K., Kim, K.Y. (2013), "Evaluation of seismic performance of road tunnels in operation", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 69-80. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2013.15.2.069
- Constantopoulos, I.V., Motherwell, J.T., Hall, J.R. (1979), "Dynamic analysis of tunnels", Proceedings or the 3rd International Conference on Numerical Methods in Geomechanics, pp. 841-848
- Darendeli, M.B. (2001), Development of a new family of normalized modulus reduction and material damping curves, Ph.D. thesis, University of Texas at Austin, pp. 131-153 (chapter 6).
- Dowding, C.H., Rozan, A. (1978), "Damage to rock tunnels from earthquake shaking", Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division, Vol. 104, No. 2, pp. 175-191.
- Haselton, C.B., Baker, J.W., Stewart, J.P., Whittaker, A.S., Luco, N., Fry, A., Hamburger, R.O., Zimmerman, R.B., Hooper, J.D., Charney, F.A. (2017), "Response history analysis for the design of new buildings in the NEHRP provisions and ASCE/SEI 7 standard: Part I-Overview and specification of ground motions", Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 373-395. https://doi.org/10.1193/032114EQS039M
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Musgrove, M.I., Harmon, J.A., Groholski, D.R., Phillips, C.A., Park, D. (2015), "Deepsoil 6.0", User Manual.
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Park, D., Yao, J.I.C. (2005), "Ovaling deformations of circular tunnels under seismic loading, an update on seismic design and analysis of underground structures", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 435-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2005.02.004
- Hoeg, K. (1968), "Stresses against underground structural cylinders", Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, Vol. 94, No. 4, pp. 833-858.
- Itasca Consulting Group, I. (2011), Fast Lagrange Analysis of Continua, Version 7.0.
- KICT (2015), A Study on the Efficient Operation In Tunnel Maintenance & Management, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT), pp. 432-482.
- Kim, H.K., Park, D. (2011), "Evaluation of applicability of impulse function-based algorithm for modification of ground motion to match target response spectrum", Journal of the Korean Geoenvironmental Society, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 53-63.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation (1999), "Manual on tunnel design", Korean Tunnelling Association, pp. 1-118.
- Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport (2016a), "KBC (Korean Building Code) 2016", Seismic Load. Architectural Institute of Korea, pp. 133-188.
- Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport (2016b), "Manual on tunnel design", pp. 37-66.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2011), "The manual of seismic performance evaluation & improvement seismic perfomance for the existing tunnel", Korea Infrastructre Safety Corporation, pp. 1-62.
- Miyabayashi, H., Tosaka, T., Isogai, A., Kojima, Y., Yashiro, K., Saito, J., Asakura, T. (2008), "Basic studies on earthquake damage to shallow mountain tunnels", World Tunnel Congress, pp. 406-418.
- Moller, S.C. (2006), Tunnel induced settlements and structural forces in linings, Ph.D. thesis, Universitat Stuttgart, p.191.
- Park, D., Shin, J.H., Yun, S.U. (2010b), "Seismic analysis of tunnel in transverse direction part I: estimation of seismic tunnel response via method of seismic displacement", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 57-70.
- Park, D.H., Shin, J.H., Yun, S.U. (2010a), "Seismic analysis of tunnel in transverse direction part II: evaluation of seismic tunnel response via dynamic analysis", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 71-85.
- Handron, A.J. (1972), "State of the art of soft-ground tunneling", Proceedings of the North American Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference, Vol. 1, Chicago, Illinois, pp. 259-286.
- Pescara M., Gaspari, G.M., Repetto, L.,(2011), "Design of underground structures under seismic conditions: a long deep tunnel and a metro tunnel", ETH Zurich - 15 dec. 2011 Colloquium on seismic design of tunnels, Geodata Engineering SpA, Torino, Italy.
- Pitilakis, K., Franchin, P., Khazai, B., Wenzel, H. (eds) (2014). SYNER-G: Systemic seismic vulnerability and risk assessment of complex urban, utility, lifeline systems and critical facilities, Vol. 31, Geotechnical, Geological and Earthquake Engineering, Springer, Netherlands.
- Schnabel, P.B., Lysmer, J.L., Seed, H.B. (1972), SHAKE: A computer program for earthquake response analysis of horizontally layered sites, EERC-72/12,Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Berkeley, CA.
- Schwartz, C.W., Einstein, H.H. (1980), Improved design of tunnel supports, Volume I: simplified analysis for ground-structure interaction in tunneling, UMTA-MA--06-0100-80-4, Urban Mass Transit Transportation Administion, M.A.
- Seo, Y.S., Yun, H.S., Kim, D.G., Kwon, O.I. (2016), "Analysis on physical and mechanical properties of rock mass in Korea", The Journal of Engineering Geology, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 593-600. https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2016.4.593
- Sharma, S., Judd, W.R. (1991), "Underground opening damage from earthquakes", Engineering Geology, Vol. 30, No. 3-4, pp. 263-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7952(91)90063-Q
- Vardoulakis, I.G., Beskos, D.E., Leung, K.L., Dasgupya, B., Sterling, R.L. (1987) "Computation of vibration levels in underground space", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences and Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 291-298 https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(87)90865-5
- Wang, I.H., Liu, K.H., Ehasz, J.L. (1980), "Dynamic properties of weathered rock", Proceedings of the 7th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 347-354.
- Wang, J.N (1993), Seismic design of tunnels: a simple state-of-the-art design approach, William Barclay Parsons Fellowship, Parsons Brinckerhoff, New York, Monograph 7.
- Xuehui A., Koichi M. (1997), "Failure analysis of underground RCC frame subjected to seismic actions", Journal of Materials, Concrete, Structure, Pavement, JSCE, Vol. 36, No. 571, pp. 251-267.