- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An investigation on the ground collapse mechanism induced by cracks in a non-pressurized buried pipe through model tests
모형시험을 통한 비압력 지중관거 균열로 인한 지반함몰 메커니즘 연구
- Kim, Yong-Key (Civil Engineering Team, Doosan Engineering & Construction) ;
- Nam, Kyu-Tae (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Ho-Jong (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Shin, Jong-Ho (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2018.01.02
- Accepted : 2018.02.13
- Published : 2018.03.31
Groundwater flow induced by cracks in a buried pipe causes ground loss in the vicinity of it which can lead to underground cavities and sinkhole problems. In this study, the ground collapse mechanism and the failure mode based on an aperture in the pipe located in cohesionless ground were investigated through a series of physical model studies. As the influence parameters, size of the crack, flow velocity in the pipe, groundwater level, ground cover depth and ground composition were adopted in order to examine how each of the parameters affected the behavior of the ground collapse. Influence of every experimental condition was evaluated by the final shape of ground failure (failure mode) and the amount of ground loss. According to the results, the failure mode appeared to be a 'Y' shape which featured a discontinuous change of the angle of erosion when a groundwater level was equal to the height of the ground depth. While in the case of a water table getting higher than the level of ground cover depth, the shape of the failure mode turned to be a 'V' shape that had a constant erosion angle. As the height of the ground depth increased, it was revealed that a mechanism where a vertically collapsed area which consisted of a width proportional to the ground height and a constant length occurred was repeated.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Anagnostou, G., Kovari, K. (1997), "Face stabilization in closed shield tunnelling", Proceedings of the 1997 Rapid Excavation and Tunnelling Conference, Las Vegas, pp. 549-558.
- Attewell, P.B., Yeates, J., Selby, A.R. (1986), "Soil movements induced by tunnelling and their effects on pipelines and structures", Blackie & Sons Ltd., Glasgow, UK, pp. 141-147.
- Broere, W. (1998), "Face stability calculation for a slurry shield in heterogeneous soft soils", Proceedings of the World Congress on Tunnels and Metropolises, Sao Paulo, pp. 215-218.
- Choi, S.K., Back, S.H., An, J.B., Kwon, T.H. (2016), "Geotechnical investigation on causes and mitigation of ground subsidence during underground structure construction", Journal of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 143-154. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2016.18.2.143
- Choi, Y.W. (2016), "Investigation on underground cavity mechanism and risk management measures", Journal of the Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 8-10.
- Davies, J.P., Clarke, B.A., Whiter, J.T., Cunningham, R.J. (2001), "Factors influencing the structural deterioration and collapse of rigid sewer pipes", Urban Water, Vol. 3, No. 1-2, pp. 73-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1462-0758(01)00017-6
- Davis, E.H., Gunn, M.J., Mair, R.J., Seneviratine, H.N. (1980), "The stability of shallow tunnels and underground opening in cohesive material", Geotechnique, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 397-416. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.117
- Ghazavi, M., Hosseini, M., Mollanouri, M. (2008), "A comparison between angle of repose and friction angle of sand", Proceedings of the 12th International Conference of International Association for Computer Method and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG), Goa, India, pp. 1272-1275.
- Guo, S., Shao, Y., Zhang, T., Zhu, D.Z., Zhang, Y. (2013). "Physical modeling on sand erosion around defective sewer pipes under the influence of groundwater", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 139, No. 12, pp. 1247-1257. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000785
- Iai, S., Tobita, T., Nakahara, T. (2005). "Generalised scaling relations for dynamic centrifuge tests", Geotechnique, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 355-362. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2005.55.5.355
- Jeong, S.W., Kim, S.W., Yum, B.W., Kuwano, R. (2016). "Experimental results on compaction and groundwater level dependent ground subsidience using a small-sized laboratory tank model", Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 309-317. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2016.16.6.309
- Kim, H.J., Park, N.H., Kim, K.H., Shin, J.H. (2017), "Collapse mechanism of tunnel below underground", Proceedings of the World Tunnel Congress 2017-Surface Challenges-Underground Solutions, Bergen, Norway, pp. 1-8.
- Kim, J.B., You, S.K,, Han, J.G., Hong, G.G., Park, J.B. (2017), "A study on simulation of cavity and relaxation zone using laboratory model test and discrete element method", Journal of Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 11-21.
- Kim, Y.K. (2012), "A study on the ground failure mechanism due to the slit of a sewer system", Master Thesis, Konkuk University-Graduate School, Civil Engineering, pp. 1-49.
- Law, T.C.M., Moore, I.D. (2007), "Numerical modeling of tight fitting flexible liner in damaged sewer under earth loads", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, pp. 655-665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2006.11.006
- Lee, K.P., Matchala, S., Im, J.C. (2008). "Shear strength of Jumunjin sand according to relative density", Marine Georesources and Geotechnology, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 101-110. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641190802022445
- Mukunoki, T., Kumano, N., Otani, J., Kuwano, R. (2009). "Visualization of three dimensional failure in sand due to water inflow and soil drainage from defective underground pipe using X-ray CT", Soils and Foundations, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 959-968. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf.49.959
- O'Reilly, M.P., New, B.M. (1982). "Settlements above tunnels in the United Kingdom-their magnitude and prediction", Proceedings of the Tunnelling 82, IMM, pp. 173-181.
- Sato, M., Kuwano, R. (2015) "Influence of location of subsurface structures on development of underground cavities induced by internal erosion", Soils and Foundation, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 829-840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2015.06.014
- Sheldon, H.G., Durian, D.J. (2010) "Granular discharge and clogging for tilted hoppers", Granular Matter, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 579-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-010-0198-3
- Shin, J.H., Lee, I.K. (2001) "A study on the failure mechanism of the mixed-face tunnels in decomposed granite", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 317-329.