- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of stress dispersion in bamboo reinforced wall panels under earthquake loading using finite element analysis
- Kumar, Gulshan (College of Design, Georgia Institute of Technology) ;
- Ashish, Deepankar K. (Department of Civil Engineering, Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology, Maharaja Agrasen University)
- Received : 2017.09.21
- Accepted : 2017.12.26
- Published : 2018.04.25
Present study is mainly concerned about the idea of innovative utilization of bamboo in modern construction. Owing to its compatible mechanical properties, a beneficial effect of its use in reinforced concrete (RC) frame infills has been observed. In this investigation, finite element analyses have been performed to examine the failure pattern and stress distribution pattern through the infills of a moment resisting RC frame. To validate the pragmatic use of bamboo reinforced components as infills, earthquake loading corresponding to Nepal earthquake had been considered. The analysis have revealed that introduction of bamboo in RC frames imparts more flexibility to the structure and hence may causes a ductile failure during high magnitude earthquakes like in Nepal. A more uniform stress distribution throughout the bamboo reinforced wall panels validates the practical feasibility of using bamboo reinforced concrete wall panels as a replacement of conventional brick masonry wall panels. A more detailed analysis of the results have shown the fact that stress concentration was more on the frame components in case of frame with brick masonry, contrary to the frame with bamboo reinforced concrete wall panels, in which, major stress dispersion was through wall panels leaving frame components subjected to smaller stresses. Thus an effective contribution of bamboo in dissipation of stresses generated during devastating seismic activity have been shown by these results which can be used to concrete the feasibility of using bamboo in modern construction.
reinforced concrete frame;bamboo reinforced concrete;finite element method;Nepal;earthquake;sustainable construction;bamboo reinforcement;finite element method
- Agarwal, A., Bharadwaj, N. and Maity, D. (2014), "Experimental investigation on chemically treated bamboo reinforced concrete beams and columns", Constr. Build. Mater., 71, 610-617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.09.011
- Annamalai, G. (1981), "Critical study of reinforced concrete frames infilled with masonry", Ind. Concrete J., 55(1), 13-21.
- Ashish, D.K., Thakur, A. and Verma, S.K. (2018), "Influence of rooftop telecommunication tower on set back-step back building resting on different ground slopes", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib. (Accepted)
- Atanda, J. (2015), "Environmental impacts of bamboo as a substitute constructional material in Nigeria", Case St. Const. Mater., 3, 33-39.
- Correal, J.F. (2016), Bamboo Design and Construction, Nonconventional and Vernacular Construction Materials: Characterisation, Properties and Applications, Woodhead Publishing.
- Cosgun, T. and Sayin, B. (2014), "A method for the non-linear and failure load analysis of reinforced concrete frames", Comput. Concrete, 14(1), 41-57. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.1.041
- Elizabeth, S. and Datta, A.K. (2013), "On the seismic performance of bamboo structure", Bull. Earth. Eng., 1-18.
- Ghavami, K. (1995), "Ultimate load behavior of bambooreinforced lightweight concrete beams", Cement Concrete Compos., 17(4), 281-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/0958-9465(95)00018-8
- Ghavami, K. (2005), "Bamboo as reinforcement in structural concrete elements", Cement Concrete Compsos., 27(6), 637-649. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2004.06.002
- Govindan, P. and Santhakumar, A.R. (1985), "Composite action of reinforced cement concrete beams with plain masonry infills", Ind. Concrete J., 59, 204-208.
- Iyer, S. (2002), "Guidelines for building bamboo reinforced masonry in earthquake prone areas in India", MS Thesis, University of Southern, California.
- Jain, S.K., Saraf, V.K. and Mehrotra, B. (1997), "Experimental evaluation of fundamental period of Reinforced Concrete (RC) framed building with brick infills", J. Struct. Eng., 23, 189-196.
- Kankam, J.A., Ben-George, M. and Perry, S.H. (1986a), "Bamboo-reinforced concrete two-way slab subjected to concentrated loading", Struct. Eng. Part B: R&D Quart., 64B(4), 85-92.
- Kankam, J.A., Perry, S.H. and Ben-George, M. (1986b), "Bamboo-reinforced concrete one-way slabs subjected to line loading", Int. J. Dev. Tech., 4(1), 1-9.
- Karthika, S., Lakshimikandhan, K.N., Sivakumar, P. and Dhinakaran, G. (2015), "Load deflection characteristics of sustainable infilled concrete wall panels", Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 41, 451-460.
- Kodur, V.K.R., Erki, M.A. and Quenneville, J.H.P. (1998), "Seismic analysis of infilled frames", J. Struct. Eng., 25(2), 95-102.
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2015), "Review on feasibility of bamboo in modern construction", Proceeding of National Conference on Emerging Fields in Engineering and Sciences, Panchkula, India, April.
- Kumar, G. and Ashish, D.K. (2018), "Stress distribution analysis of bamboo reinforced concrete wall panels subjected to seismic loading", Comput. Concrete. (in Press)
- Kute, S.Y. and Wakchaure, M.R. (2013), "Performance evaluation for enhancement of some of the engineering properties of bamboo as reinforcement in concrete", J. Inst. Eng. (Ind.): Series A, 94, 235-242. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40030-014-0063-1
- Kutty, V. and Narayanan, C. (2003), "Greening Red Earth-Bamboo's role in the environmental and socioeconomic rehabilitation of villages devastated by brick mining", Technical Report No. 22, Jor Bagh, New Delhi, International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR).
- Lima, H.C., Willrich, F.L., Barbosa, N.P., Rosa, M.A. and Cunha, B.S. (2008), "Durability analysis of bamboo as reinforcement", Mater. Struct., 41(5), 981-989. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-007-9299-9
- Masakazu, T. and Koichi, M. (2011), "Fracture behavior and mechanical properties of bamboo reinforced concrete members", Procedia Eng. (ICM11), 10, 2967-2972.
- Masakazu, T. and Koichi, M. (2012), "Research and development of bamboo reinforced concrete structures", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Moroz, J.G., Lissel, S.L. and Hagel, M.D. (2014), "Performance of bamboo reinforced concrete masonry shear walls", Constr. Build. Mater., 61, 125-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.02.006
- Mukhopadhyay, P. and Dutta, S.C. (2014), "Investigating compressive and cleavage strengths of an Indian bamboo species", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 27(9), 06014029. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001187
- Nathan, S., Weichiang, P. and Mengzhe, G. (2014), "Application of bamboo for flexural and shear reinforcement in concrete beam", Structures Congress 2014, Boston, Massachusetts, United States, April.
- Rahaman, S.S.U.R. and Ra, V.V.S. (1992), "Structural behaviour of masonry infilled reinforced concrete frames under the combination of vertical and lateral loading", Proceedings of the Fourth International Seminar on Structural Masonry for Developing Countries, Madras, India.
- Raj, V. (1990), "Large span bamboo ferrocement elements for flooring and roofing purposes", J. Ferrocement, 20(4), 367-375.
- Rao, K.M.M. and Rao, K.M. (2007), "Extraction and tensile properties of natural fibers: Vakka, date and bamboo", Compos. Struct., 77, 288-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.07.023
- Santhi, M.H., Knight, M.S. and Muthumani, K. (2005), "Evaluation of seismic response of soft-storey infilled frames," Comput. Concrete, 2(6), 423-437. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2005.2.6.423
- Sathynarayanan, S. and Govindan, P. (1989), "Experimental behaviour of brick infilled square oanels under diagonal static loading", Ind. Concr. J., 63, 542-546.
- Sinha, A., Way, D. and Mlasko, S. (2013), "Structural performance of glued laminated bamboo beams", J. Struct. Eng., 140(1), 1073-1087.
- Venkateshwarlu, D. and Raj, V. (1989), "Development of bamboo based ferrocement roofing elements for low cost housing", J. Ferrocement, 19(4), 331-337.
- Zhang, J.Y., Yu, T.X., Kim, J.K. and Sui, G.X. (2000), "Static indentation and impact behaviour of reformed bamboo/aluminium laminated composites", Compos. Struct., 50, 207-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(00)00104-5