- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Brief Review on Mussel Adhesives by Evaluating Its Adhesion and Cohesion Mechanisms
메카니즘 해석을 통해 바라본 홍합접착제 연구동향
- Kang, Byoung-Un (Department of Chemical and Environmental Technology, Inha Technical College) ;
- Lee, Jae-Sung (Department of Chemical and Environmental Technology, Inha Technical College) ;
- Oh, Kyeong-Seok (Department of Chemical and Environmental Technology, Inha Technical College)
- Received : 2018.02.05
- Accepted : 2018.03.06
- Published : 2018.03.30
Mussel byssal protein has strong adhesive capability even in wet surface. It has been reported that nine proteins in marine blue mussel, often referred to a representative mussel, contribute to form mussel byssal threads and plaques. DOPA containing two hydroxy groups called cathecol is recognized that it plays a major role in adhesion as well as cohesion process within byssal structure. In this paper, adhesion and cohesion mechanisms were introduced and evaluated by supportive literature published during last decade. Diverse applications of cathecol chemicals were also examined in terms of innovative adhesive, bioadhesive and challenging material for tissue engineering. It is noticeable that reconsideration of mussel proteins could provide the various opportunities as biomaterials.
Grant : 고팽창과 방화성을 갖는 친환경 실란트 제조기술개발
Supported by : 중소기업청
- B.P. Lee, P.B. Messersmith, J.N. Israelachvili, J.H. Waite, "Mussel-Inspired Adhesives and Coatings," Annu. Rev. Mater. Res., Vol. 41, pp. 99-132, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-matsci-062910-100429
- H.G. Silverman, F.F. Roberto, “Understanding Marine Mussel Adhesion,” Mar. Biotechnol., Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 661-681, (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-007-9053-x
- P.K. Forooshani, B.P. Lee, "Recent Approaches in Designing Bioadhesive Materials Inspired by Mussel Adhesive Protein," J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Sci., Vol. 55, pp. 9-33, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1002/pola.28368
- Bureau of Reclamation, "Review of Museel Adhession Mechanism and Scoping Study," Technical Memorandum, No. MERL-2013-43, Technical Service Center, Materials Engineering and Research Laboratory, Denver, Colorado, (2013).
- D.S. Hwang, H.J. Yoo, J.H. Jun, W.K. Moon, H.J. Cha, “Expression of Functional Recombinant Mussel Adhesive Protein Mgfp-5 in Escherichia coli,” Appl. Environ. Mirobiol., Vol. 70, No. 6, pp. 3352-3359, (2004). https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.70.6.3352-3359.2004
- J.H. Waite, "Mussel Adhesion-Essential Footwork," J. Exp. Biol., Vol. 220, pp. 517-530, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1242/jeb.134056
- J. Yu, W. Wei, E. Danner, R.K. Ashley, J.N. Israelachvili, J. H. Waite, “Mussel Protein Adhesion Depends on Thiol-Mediated Redox Modulation,” Nat. Chem. Biol., Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 588-590, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.630
- J.R. Burkett, J.R. Wojtas, J.L. Cloud, J.J. Wilker, "A Method for Measuring the Adhesion Strength of Marine Mussels," J. Adhes., Vol. 85, pp. 601-615, (2009). https://doi.org/10.1080/00218460902996903
- K. Numata, P.J. Baker, "Synthesis of Adhesive Peptides Similar to Those Found in Blue Mussel (Mytilus edulis) Using Pappain and Tyrosinase," Biomacromolecules, Vol. 15, pp. 3206-3212, (2014). https://doi.org/10.1021/bm5009052
- J.J. Wilker, “Redox and Adhesion on the Rocks,” Nat. Chem. Biol., Vol. 7, No. 9, pp. 579-580, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1038/nchembio.639
- H.J. Cha, D.S. Hwang, S. Lim, "Development of Bioadhesives from Marine Mussels," Biotechnology J., Vol. 3, pp. 631-638, (2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/biot.200700258
- Enger, E.D., Ross, F.C., Bailey, D.B., Concepts in Biology, 14th ed., pp. 236-238, McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., New York, (2009)
- H. Lee, B.P. Lee, P.B. Messersmith, "A Reversible Wet/Dry Adhesive Inspired by Mussels and Geckos, Nature, Vol. 448, pp. 338-341, (2007). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05968
- L. Hamers, "Animal Goo Inspires Better Glue," Science News, Vol. 192, No. 5, p.14 (2017).
- S. Hong, I. You, I.T. Song, H. Lee, "Material-Independent Surface Functionalization Inspired by Mussel-Adhesion, Polym Sci. Tech., Vol. 23, No. 4, 396-406, (2012).
- E. Shin, S. W. Ju, L. An, E. Ahn, J.-S. Ahn, B.-S. Kim, B.K. Ahn, “Bioinspired Catecholic Primers for Rigid and Ductile Dental Resin Composites,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1520-1527, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b14679
- M. Rahimnejad, W. Zhong, "Mussel Inspired Hydrogel Tissure Adhesives for Wound Closure," RCS Adv., Vol. 7, pp. 47380-47396, (2017).
- B.K. Ahn, S. Das, R. Linstadt, Y. Kaufman, N.R. Martinez-Rodriguez, R. Mirshfian, E. Kesselman, Y. Talmon, B.H. Lipshutz, J.N. Israelachvili, J.H. Waite, "High-Performance Mussel-Inspired Adhesives of Reduced Complexity," Nat. Commun., Vol. 6, p.8633, (2015). https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms9633
- E. Filippidi, T.R. Cristiani, C.D. Eisenbach, J.H. Waite, J.N. Israelachvili, B.K. Ahn, M.T. Valentine, "Toughning Elastomers using Mussel-Inspired Iron-Catechol Complexes," Science, Vol. 358, pp. 502-505, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aao0350