- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Identifying the Determinants and the Dynamic Characteristics of ICT Non-Use: A Qualitative Study by Grounded Theory Methodolgy
정보기술 비사용의 결정요인과 동태적 성격의 규명: 근거이론방법론에 의한 질적 연구
- 이웅규 (대구대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2018.02.06
- Accepted : 2018.03.14
- Published : 2018.03.31
Purpose The purpose of this study is to identify the determinants of non-use and the dynamic nature of non-use by the qualitative research methodology, grounded theory methodology, as part of identifying the nature of non-use. Design/methodology/approach We applied the grounded theory methodology to a total of 23 college students, including non-users who are not currently using them, users with low intention to use them, and users with high intention to use. We extracted the codes related to the use and proposed the non-use dynamics conversion process based on the coding results. Findings First, the use of information technology can also promote the frequency of use, but can also lead to the use of negative attitudes which would fall in the state of non-use. Second, the user may have both positive and negative attitudes toward the current information technology. Third, if usage is dominated by habits, it is not so easy to change persistent use into an unused state. Fourth, factors that determine the use of specific information technology can be a factor in determining nonuse. This study has contributed to understand the essence of non - use as well as the nature of use, overcoming limitations of quantitative research approach and confirming possibility of grounded theory method in information system research.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 박경자, "Social Network Sevice 수용 후 사용회피에 관한 연구: 페이스북 사용자를 중심으로", 정보시스템연구, 제24권 제1호, 2015, pp. 147-168.
- 박경자, 유일, "행동경제학 관점에서 본 SNS사용중단에 관한 의사결정: 심적회계이론과 제한된 합리성을 중심으로", 인터넷전자상거래연구, 제14권, 제4호, 2014, pp. 377-398.
- 박상철, 이웅규, "근거이론을 활용한 멀티채널 사용자의 크로스오버 쇼핑행동 이해", Information Systems Review, 제19권, 제3호, 2017, pp. 179-199.
- 박상철, 채성욱, "스마트워크 환경에서 스마트기기 활용에 따른 사용자 저항과 개인 생산성에 관한 연구", 정보시스템연구, 2014, 제23권, 제3호, pp. 143-164
- 유형욱, 손달호, "SNS중단의도의 결정요인: 합리적 선택이론 및 사회적 비교이론을 중심으로", 정보시스템연구, 제26권, 제4호, 2017, pp. 39-62.
- 이영철, "근거이론의 근거에 대한 음미: 방법론과 방법", 한국정책과학회보, 제18권, 제1호, 2014, pp. 187-214.
- 이웅규, 박진훈, "정보기술 비수용에 영향을 미치는 요인: 근거이론에 의한 접근", 정보시스템연구, 제24권, 제4호, 2015, 83-97.
- Abraham, C., Boudreau, M. C., Junglas, I., and Watson, R., "Enriching our theoretical repertoire: the role of evolutionary psychology in technology acceptance," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 22, 2013, pp. 56-75. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2011.25
- Bhattacherjee, A., "Understanding Information Systems Continuance: An Expectation-Confirmation Model", MIS Quarterly, 25(3), 2001. 351-370 https://doi.org/10.2307/3250921
- Birks, D. F., Fernandez, W., Levina, N., and Nasirin, S., "Grounded theory method in information systems research: its nature, diversity and opportunities.," European Journal of Information systems, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2013, pp. 1-8.
- Cenfetelli, R. T., "Inhibitors and enablers as dual factor concepts in technology usage," Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 5, No. 11, 2004, pp. 472-493. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00059
- Cenfetelli, R. T., and Schwarz, A., "Identifying and testing the inhibitors of technology usage intentions," Information Systems Research, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2011, pp. 808-823. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0295
- Charmaz, K., Constructing grounded theory: a practical guide through qualitative analysis (Introducing Qualitative methods series), 2014, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Golafshani, N., "Understanding Reliability and Validity in Qualitative Research", The Qualitative Report, Vol. 8, No. 4, 2003, pp. 597-607.
- Kim, H. W., and Kankanhali, A., "Investigating user resistance to information systems implementation: A status quo bias perspective," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2009, pp. 567-582. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650309
- Klein, S., & Myers, M., "A set of principles for conducting and evaluating interpretive field studies in information systems," MIS Quarterly, 23(1), 1999, 67-93. https://doi.org/10.2307/249410
- Lee, E. J., Kwon, K. N., and Schumann, D. W., "Segmenting the non-adopter category in the diffusion of internet banking," International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol. 23, No. 5, 2005, pp. 414-437. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320510612483
- Lee, W-K. "An Aalysis of the Roles of Experience in Information System Continuance", Asia Pacific Journal of Information System, 21(4), 2011. 45-62.
- Limayem, M., Hirt, S. G., and Cheung, C.M.K., "How Habit Limits Predictive Power of Intention: The Case of Information Systems Continuance", MIS Quarterly, 31(4), 2007, 705-737. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148817
- Markus, M. L., "Power, politics, and MIS implementation," Communication of the ACM, Vol. 26, No. 6, 1983, pp. 430-444. https://doi.org/10.1145/358141.358148
- Oritz de Guinea, A. and Markus, M. L., "Why Break the Habit of a Lifetime? Rethinking the Roles of Intention, Habit, and Emotion in Continuing Information Technology Use", MIS Quarterly, 33(3), 2009, 433-444.. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650303
- Ozdemir, S., and Trott, P., "Exploring the adoption of a service innovation: A study of Internet banking adopters and non-adopters," Journal of Financial Services Marketing, Vol. 13, NO. 4, 2009, pp. 284-299. https://doi.org/10.1057/fsm.2008.25
- Polites, G. L., and Karahanna, E., "Shackled to the status quo: the inhibiting effects of incumbent system habit, switching costs, and inertia on new system acceptance," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 1, 2012, pp. 21-42.
- Strauss, A. L., and Corbin, J., Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques (2nd ed.), 1998, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Thomson, S. B., "Qualitative Research: Validity", Journal of Administration and Governance, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2011, pp. 77-82.
- Urquhart, C., "Theory in social psychology: seeing the forest and the trees," Personality and Social Psychology Review, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2001, pp. 193-200. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327957pspr0802_13
- Venkatesh, V., and Brown, S., "A longitudinal investigation of personal computers in homes: adoption determinants and emerging challenges," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2001, pp. 71-102. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250959
- Wiesche, M., Jurisch, Yetton, P. W., and Krcmar, H., "Grounded Theory Metthodology in Information Systems Research", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 3, 2017, pp. 685-701. https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2017/41.3.02