- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood profiles, meat quality, and backfat in finishing pigs
- Zhang, Jian Ying (Department of Animal Resource & Science, Dankook University) ;
- Hu, Jing (Department of Animal Resource & Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, In Ho (Department of Animal Resource & Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2017.08.22
- Accepted : 2017.11.20
- Published : 2018.03.31
This experiment was conducted to estimate the influence of
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- AOAC (Association of official analytical chemiosts), International. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. AOAC Int., Arlington, VA. USA.
- Auteri M, Maria GZ, Mariangela M, Rosa S. 2014. Opposite role played by GABAA and GABAB receptors in the modulation of peristaltic activity in mouse distal colon. European Journal of Pharmacology 731:93-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.03.003
- Baldwin BA, Ebenezer IS, De La Riva C. 1990. Effects of intracerebroventricular injection of muscimol or GABA on operant feeding in pigs. Physiology & Behavior 48:417-421. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(90)90337-4
- Besheer J, Veronique L, Hodge CW. 2004. GABAB receptor agonists reduce operant ethanol self-administration and enhance ethanol sedation in C57BL/6J Mice. Psychopharmacology 174:358-366.
Chen Z, Tang J, Sun YQ, Xie J. 2013. Protective effect of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on antioxidation function in intestinal mucosa of wenchang chicken induced by heat stress. Journal of Animal Plant Science 23:1634-1641.
- Dalvi A, Rodgers RJ. 2001. Anxiolytic effects of valproate and diazepam in mice are differentially sensitive to picrotoxin antagonism. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 68:23-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-3057(00)00408-1
Fan ZY, Liu GH, Deng GH. 2015b. Effects of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on the performance and internal hormone levels in growing pigs. Chinese Journal of Animal Nutrition 19:350-356.
Fan ZY, Zhang M, Chen LX, Xie CY. 2015a. Effects of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on performance, antioxidative status and biochemical indices of lactating sows in hot weather. Electronic Journal of Biology 11:110-118.
- Girard CL, Seoane JR, Matte JJ. 1985. Studies of the role of gamma-aminobutyric acid in the hypothalamic control of feed intake in sheep. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 63:1297-1301. https://doi.org/10.1139/y85-214
- Honikel KO, Kim CJ, Hamm R, Roncales P. 1986. Sarcomere shortening of prerigor muscles and its influence on drip loss. Meat Science 16:267-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90038-0
- Hu JC, Zou XT, Cao D, Dong JG, Sun Ke. 2008. Effect of gamma-aminobutyric acid on senum biochemical parameter of finishing hogs in summer. Feed Industry 12:256-259.
Huang HL, Zhao WJ, Zou XT, Li H, Zhang XY. 2011. Effect of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on incubation, immunity and antioxidant activity in pigeon. Chinese Journal of Veterinary Science 5:78-83.
- Jeong YD, Lee JJ, Kim JE, Kim DW, Min YJ, Cho ES, Yu DJ, Kim YH. 2017. Effects of dietary supplementation of fermented wheat bran on performance and blood profiles in weaned pigs. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 44:409-415.
- Kauffman RG, Eikelenboom G, van der Wal PG, Engel B, Zaar M. 1986. A comparison of methods to estimate water-holding capacity in post-rigor porcine muscle. Meat Science 18:307-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90020-3
Krantis A, Costa M, Furness JB, Orbach J. 1980.
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid stimulates intrinsic inhibitory and excitatory nerves in the guinea-pig intestine. European Journal of Pharmacology 67:461-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(80)90187-9
Li YH, Li F, Liu M, Yin JJ, Cheng BJ, Shi BM, Shan AS. 2015. Effect of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on growth performance, behavior and plasma hormones in weaned pigs. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 95:165-171. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-148
- Michael DD. 1991. Induction of food intake by a GABAergic mechanism in the turkey. Physiology & Behavior 49:485-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(91)90268-S
- Morteza Z, Vahhab B, Hossein. 2008. Effects of central histamine receptors blockade on GABA (A) agonist-induced food intake in broiler cockerels. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences PJBS 11:416-421. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2008.416.421
- NPPC (National pork producers council). 1991. Procedures to evaluate market hogs. 3rd edn. National pork producers council, des moines, IA, USA.
- NRC (National research council). 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine, 10th edn. National academy press, Washington, DC.
- Shekhar A, Johnson PL, Sajdyk TJ, Fitz SD, Keim SR, Kelley PE, Gehlert DR, DiMicco JA. 2006. Angiotensin-II is a putative neurotransmitter in lactate-induced panic-like responses in rats with disruption of GABAergic inhibition in the dorsomedial hypothalamus. The Journal of Neuroscience 26:9205-9215. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2491-06.2006
- Stein HH, Gibson ML, Pedersen C, Boersma MG. 2006. Amino acid and energy digestibility in ten samples of distillers dried grain with solubles fed to growing pigs. Journal of Animal Science 84:853-860. https://doi.org/10.2527/2006.844853x
- Sullivan Z, Honeyman MS, Gibson LR, Prusa KJ. 2007. Effects of triticale-based diets on finishing pig performance and pork quality in deep-bedded hoop barns. Meat Science 76:428-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.12.002
- Wang DM, Liu HY, Wang C, Liu JX, Ferguson JD. 2013. Effects of rumen-protected gamma-aminobutyric acid on feed intake, performance and antioxidative status in transition cows. Livestock Science 153:66-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2013.01.012
- Williams CH, David DJ, Iismaa O. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. The Journal of Agricultural Science 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Xu XG, Yang ZF, Huang SH, Yi XH. 2000. Promotive effects of GABA on acid secretion from isolated mouse stomach in vitro. Acta zoologica Sinica 47:170-175.
- Yun HM, Lei XJ, Cheong JY, Kang JS, Kim IH. 2017. Effect of different levels of fiber and protein on growth performance and fecal characteristics in weaning pigs. Korean Journal of Agricultural Science 44:366-374.
- Zendehdel M, Baghbanzadeh A, Babapour V, Cheraghi J. 2009. The effects of bicuculline and muscimol on glutamate-induced feeding behavior in broiler cockerels. Journal of Comparative Physiology A 195:715-720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00359-009-0446-3
Zhang M, Zou XT, Li H, Dong XY, Zhao WJ. 2012. Effect of dietary
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on laying performance, egg quality, immune activity and endocrine hormone in heat-stressed roman hens. Animal Science Journal 83:141-147. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2011.00939.x
Zou XT, Hu JC, Cao DR, Dong JG. 2009. Effect of
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid on growth performance, antioxidation and hormones of hpa, hpt axis in growth-finishing swine in hot summer. Chinese Journal of Animal and Veterinary Science 16:125-128.