- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Prediction and analysis of optimal frequency of layered composite structure using higher-order FEM and soft computing techniques
- Das, Arijit (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela) ;
- Hirwani, Chetan K. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela) ;
- Panda, Subrata K. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela) ;
- Topal, Umut (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Technology, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Dede, Tayfun (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University)
- Received : 2018.08.02
- Accepted : 2018.12.02
- Published : 2018.12.25
This article derived a hybrid coupling technique using the higher-order displacement polynomial and three soft computing techniques (teaching learning-based optimization, particle swarm optimization, and artificial bee colony) to predict the optimal stacking sequence of the layered structure and the corresponding frequency values. The higher-order displacement kinematics is adopted for the mathematical model derivation considering the necessary stress and stain continuity and the elimination of shear correction factor. A nine noded isoparametric Lagrangian element (eighty-one degrees of freedom at each node) is engaged for the discretisation and the desired model equation derived via the classical Hamilton's principle. Subsequently, three soft computing techniques are employed to predict the maximum natural frequency values corresponding to their optimum layer sequences via a suitable home-made computer code. The finite element convergence rate including the optimal solution stability is established through the iterative solutions. Further, the predicted optimal stacking sequence including the accuracy of the frequency values are verified with adequate comparison studies. Lastly, the derived hybrid models are explored further to by solving different numerical examples for the combined structural parameters (length to width ratio, length to thickness ratio and orthotropicity on frequency and layer-sequence) and the implicit behavior discuss in details.
- Aagaah, M.R., Mahinfalah, M. and Jazar, G.N. (2006), "Natural frequencies of laminated composite plates using third order shear deformation theory", Compos. Struct., 72(3), 273-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.11.012
- Kumar, A., Kumar, V.R., Datta, S. and Mahapatra, S.S. (2017), "Parametric appraisal and optimization in machining of CFRP composites by using TLBO (teaching-learning based optimization algorithm)", J. Intel. Manuf., 28(8), 1769-1785. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-015-1050-8
- Apalak, M.K., Yildirim, M. and Ekici, R. (2008), "Layer optimisation for maximum fundamental frequency of laminated composite plates for different edge conditions", Compos. Sci. Technol., 68(2), 537-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2007.06.031
- Apalak, M.K., Karaboga, D. and Akay, B. (2014), "The artificial bee colony algorithm in layer optimization for the maximum fundamental frequency of symmetrical laminated composite plates", Eng. Optimiz., 46(3), 420-437. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2013.776551
- Bargh, H.G. and Sadr, M.H. (2012), "Stacking sequence optimization of composite plates for maximum fundamental frequency using particle swarm optimization algorithm", Meccanica, 47(3), 719-730. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-011-9482-5
- Chiu, L.N., Rolfe, B., Wu, X. and Yan, W. (2018), "Effect of stiffness anisotropy on topology optimisation of additively manufactured structures", Eng. Struct. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.05.083 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.05.083
- Conti, P., Luparello, S. and Pasta, A. (1997), "Layer thickness optimisation in a laminated composite", Compos. Part B: Eng., 28(3), 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-8368(96)00048-0
- Cook, R.D., Malkus, D.S., Plesha, M.E. and Witt, R.J. (2003), Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis, John Willy and Sons Pvt. Ltd, Singapore.
- Ding, Z., Lu, Z., Huang, M. and Liu, J. (2017), "Improved artificial bee colony algorithm for crack identification in beam using natural frequencies only", Inverse Probl. Sci. Eng., 25(2), 218-238. https://doi.org/10.1080/17415977.2016.1160391
- Eberhart, R.C. and Shi, Y. (2001), "Particle swarm optimization: Developments, Applications and Resources", Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 81-86.
- Fourn, H., Atmane, H.A., Bourada, M., Bousahla, A.A., Tounsi, A. and Mahmoud, S.R. (2018), "A novel four variable refined plate theory for wave propagation in functionally graded material plates", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 27(1), 109-122.
- Grzywinski, M. (2015), "Optimization of double-layer braced barrel vaults", Transactions of the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava, Civil Engineering Series, 15(2).
- Hajmohammad, M.H., Farrokhian, A. and Kolahchi, R. (2018), "Smart control and vibration of viscoelastic actuator-multiphase nanocomposite conical shells-sensor considering hygrothermal load based on layerwise theory", Aerosp. Sci. Technol., 78, 260-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2018.04.030
- Ho-Huu, V., Do-Thi, T.D., Dang-Trung, H., Vo-Duy, T. and Nguyen-Thoi, T. (2016), "Optimization of laminated composite plates for maximizing buckling load using improved differential evolution and smoothed finite element method", Compos. Struct., 146, 132-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.03.016
- Jones, R.M. (1999), Mechanics of Composite Materials, Taylor & Francis, PA, USA.
- Karaboga, D. and Basturk, B. (2008), "On the performance of artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm", Appl. Soft Comput., 8(1), 687-697. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2007.05.007
- Karami, B., Janghorban, M., Shahsavari, D. and Tounsi, A. (2018), "A size-dependent quasi-3D model for wave dispersion analysis of FG nanoplates", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 28(1), 99-110.
- Kaveh, A. and Talatahari, S. (2009), "Particle swarm optimizer, ant colony strategy and harmony search scheme hybridized for optimization of truss structures", Comput. Struct., 87(5-6), 267-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2009.01.003
- Kolahchi, R. (2017), "A comparative study on the bending, vibration and buckling of viscoelastic sandwich nano-plates based on different nonlocal theories using DC, HDQ and DQ methods", Aerosp. Sci. Technol., 66, 235-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2017.03.016
- Kolahchi, R. and Bidgoli, A.M.M. (2016), "Size-dependent sinusoidal beam model for dynamic instability of single-walled carbon nanotubes", Appl. Math. Mech. -Engl. Ed., 37(2), 265-274. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10483-016-2030-8
- Kolahchi, R. and Cheraghbak, A. (2017), "Agglomeration effects on the dynamic buckling of viscoelastic microplates reinforced with SWCNTs using Bolotin method", Nonlinear Dyn., 90, 479-492. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-017-3676-x
- Kolahchi, R., Keshtegar, B. and Fakhar, M.H. (2017a), "Optimization of dynamic buckling for sandwich nanocomposite plates with sensor and actuator layer based on sinusoidal-viscopiezoelasticity theories using Grey Wolf algorithm", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636217731071 https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636217731071
- Kolahchi, R., Zarei, M.S., Hajmohammad, M.H. and Nouri, A. (2017b), "Wave propagation of embedded viscoelastic FG-CNTreinforced sandwich plates integrated with sensor and actuator based on refined zigzag theory", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 130, 534-545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2017.06.039
- Mallick, P.K. (2007), Fiber Reinforced Composites: Materials, Manufacturing and Design, CRC press.
- Menasria, A., Bouhadra, A., Tounsi, A., Bousahla, A. A. and Mahmoud, S.R. (2017), "A new and simple HSDT for thermal stability analysis of FG sandwich plates", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 25(2), 157-175.
- Narita, Y. (2006), "Maximum frequency design of laminated plates with mixed boundary conditions", Int. J. Solids Struct., 43, 4342-4356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.06.104
- Omkar, S.N., Senthilnath, J., Khandelwal, R., Naik, G.N. and Gopalakrishnan, S. (2011), "Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) for multi-objective design optimization of composite structures", Appl. Soft. Comput., 11, 489-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2009.12.008
- Patle, B.K., Hirwani, C.K., Singh, R.P. and Panda, S.K. (2018), "Eigenfrequency and deflection analysis of layered structure using uncertain elastic properties - a fuzzy finite element approach", Int. J. Approx. Reason., 98, 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijar.2018.04.013
- Perera, R., Fang, S.E. and Ruiz, A. (2010), "Application of particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithms to multiobjective damage identification inverse problems with modelling errors", Meccanica, 45(5), 723-734. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11012-009-9264-5
- Pati, R.P., Satpathy, M.P. and Satapathy, A. (2017), "Experimental investigation on Linz-Donawitz slag filled polypropylene composites using teaching-learning based optimization approach", Polym. Compos.
- Rao, R.V. and Patel, V.K. (2010), "Thermodynamic optimization of cross flow plate-fin heat exchanger using a particle swarm optimization algorithm", Int. J. Therm. Sci., 49,1712-1721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2010.04.001
- Rao, R.V., Savsani, V.J. and Vakharia, D.P. (2011), "Teachinglearning-based optimization: A novel method for constrained mechanical design optimization problems", CAD Comput. Aided Des., 43, 303-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2010.12.015
- Rao, R.V., Kalyankar, V.D. and Waghmare, G. (2014), "Parameters optimization of selected casting processes using teaching learning-based optimization algorithm", Appl. Math. Model., 38, 5592-5608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2014.04.036
- Sayare, R.S. and Kamble, A.G. (2015), "Parameter optimization of composite leaf spring using TLBO Algorithm", Int. Eng. Res., 4358-4364.
- Stewart, R. (2009), "Carbon fibres composites poised for dramatic growth", Reinf. Plast., 53, 16-21.
- Tsavdaridis, K.D., Kingman, J.J. and Toropov, V.V. (2015), "Application of structural topology optimisation to perforated steel beams", Comput. Struct., 143, 108-123.
- Vo-Duy, T., Ho-Huu, V., Do-Thi, T.D., Dang-Trung, H. and Nguyen-Thoi, T. (2017), "A global numerical approach for lightweight design optimization of laminated composite plates subjected to frequency constraints", Compos. Struct., 159, 646-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.09.059
- Vo-Duy, T., Truong-Thi, T., Ho-Huu, V. and Nguyen-Thoi, T. (2018), "Frequency optimization of laminated functionally graded carbon nanotube reinforced composite quadrilateral plates using smoothed FEM and evolution algorithm", J. Compos. Mater., 52(14), 1971-1986. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998317737831
- Vosoughi, A.R., Forkhorji, H.D. and Roohbakhsh, H. (2016), "Maximum fundamental frequency of thick laminated composite plates by a hybrid optimization method", Compos. Part B: Eng., 86, 254-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.10.010
- Zhang, L.G., Yang, K., Zhao, W.P. and Xiang, S. (2014), "Layer Thickness Optimization of Laminated Composite Plates to Maximize the First-Order Natural Frequency", Appl. Mech. Mater., 709, 139. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.709.139