- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Moment-rotation relationship of hollow-section beam-to-column steel joints with extended end-plates
- Wang, Jia (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of New South Wales) ;
- Zhu, Haiming (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of New South Wales) ;
- Uy, Brian (School of Civil Engineering, The University of Sydney) ;
- Patel, Vipulkumar (School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, College of Science, Health and Engineering, La Trobe University) ;
- Aslani, Farhad (School of Civil Environmental and Mining Engineering, The University of Western Australia) ;
- Li, Dongxu (School of Civil Engineering, The University of Sydney)
- Received : 2018.08.16
- Accepted : 2018.12.23
- Published : 2018.12.25
This paper presents the flexural performance of steel beam-to-column joints composed of hollow structural section beams and columns. A finite element (FE) model was developed incorporating geometrical and material nonlinearities to evaluate the behaviour of joints subjected to bending moments. The numerical outcomes were validated with experimental results and compared with EN1993-1-8. The demountability of the structure was discussed based on the tested specimen. A parametric analysis was carried out to investigate the effects of steel yield strength, end-plate thickness, beam thickness, column wall thickness, bolt diameter, number of bolts and location. Consequently, an analytical model was derived based on the component method to predict the moment-rotation relationships for the sub-assemblies with extended end-plates. The accuracy of the proposed model was calibrated by the experimental and numerical results. It is found that the FE model is fairly reliable to predict the initial stiffness and moment capacity of the joints, while EN1993-1-8 overestimates the initial stiffness extensively. The beam-to-column joints are shown to be demountable and reusable with a moment up to 53% of the ultimate moment capacity. The end-plate thickness and column wall thickness have a significant influence on the joint behaviour, and the layout of double bolt-rows in tension is recommended for joints with extended end-plates. The derived analytical model is capable of predicting the moment-rotation relationship of the structure.
hollow section;beam-to-column joint;moment-rotation relationship;demountability;component method
Supported by : Australian Research Council (ARC)
- Abaqus (2014), User Manual; Version 6.14, DS SIMULIA Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- AS/NZS 1252.1 (2016), High-strength steel fastener assemblies for structural engineering-Bolts, nuts and washers, Australia.
- AS 1391 (2007), Australian. Metallic materials-tensile testing at ambient temperature, Australia.
- AS 4100 (1998), Steel structures, Australia.
- Augusto, H., da Silva, L.S., Rebelo, C. and Castro, J.M. (2016a), "Characterization of web panel components in double-extended bolted end-plate steel joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 116, 271-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.08.022
- Augusto, H., Castro, J.M., Rebelo, C. and da Silva, L.S. (2016b), "Characterization of the cyclic behavior of the web components in end-plate beam-to-column joints", Procedia Eng., 160, 101-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.08.868
- Azizinamini, A., Bradburn, J.H. and Radziminski, J.B. (1987), "Initial stiffness of semi-rigid steel beam-to-column connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 8, 71-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(87)90054-X
- Coelho, A.M.G. and Bijlaard, F.S. (2007), "Experimental behaviour of high strength steel end-plate connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(9), 1228-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.11.010
- Coelho, A.M.G., Bijlaard, F.S. and da Silva, L.S. (2004), "Experimental assessment of the ductility of extended end plate connections", Eng. Struct., 26(9), 1185-1206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2000.09.001
- da Silva, L.S., de Lima, L.R., da SVellasco, P.C.G. and de Andrade, S.A. (2004), "Behaviour of flush end-plate beam-tocolumn joints under bending and axial force", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 4(2), 77-94. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2004.4.2.077
- EN1993-1-8 (2005), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. part 1-8: design of joints; European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- France, J.E., Davison, J.B. and Kirby, P.A. (1999), "Strength and rotational stiffness of simple connections to tubular columns using flowdrill connectors", J. Constr. Steel Res., 50(1), 15-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00236-3
- Ghobarah, A., Mourad, S. and Korol, R.M. (1996), "Momentrotation relationship of blind bolted connections for HSS columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 40(1), 63-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(96)00044-2
- Grimsmo, E.L., Clausen, A.H., Langseth, M. and Aalberg, A. (2015), "An experimental study of static and dynamic behaviour of bolted end-plate joints of steel", Int. J. Impact Eng., 85, 132-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.07.001
- Han, L.H., Wang, W.D. and Zhao, X.L. (2008), "Behaviour of steel beam to concrete-filled SHS column frames: Finite element model and verifications", Eng. Struct., 30(6), 1647-1658. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.10.018
- Korol, R.M., Ghobarah, A. and Mourad, S. (1993), "Blind bolting W-shape beams to HSS columns", J. Struct. Eng., 119(12), 3463-3481. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:12(3463)
- Li, D., Uy, B., Aslani, F. and Patel, V. (2016a), "Analysis and design of demountable steel column-baseplate connections", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(4), 753-775. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.4.753
- Li, D., Uy, B., Patel, V. and Aslani, F. (2016b), "Behaviour and design of demountable steel column-column connections", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 22(2), 429-448. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.2.429
- Loh, H.Y., Uy, B. and Bradford, M.A. (2006), "The effects of partial shear connection in composite flush end plate joints Part I-experimental study", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(4), 378-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.07.012
- Mirza, O. and Uy, B. (2011), "Behaviour of composite beam-column flush end-plate connections subjected to lowprobability, high-consequence loading", Eng. Struct., 33(2), 647-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.11.024
- Nogueiro, P., da Silva, L.S., Bento, R. and Simoes, R. (2009), "Calibration of model parameters for the cyclic response of endplate beam-to-column steel-concrete composite joints", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 9(1), 39-58.
- Odrobinak, J., Idunk, R. and Bacinsky, T. (2014), "Study on Stiffness of Composite Beam-to-Column Joints", Procedia Eng., 91, 268-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.058
- Petrina, T. (2016), "Fire Resistance of Steel Beam to Column End Plate Connections", Procedia Eng., 161, 143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.08.512
- Qiang, X., Bijlaard, F.S.K., Kolstein, H. and Jiang, X. (2014), "Behaviour of beam-to-column high strength steel endplate connections under fire conditions-Part 1: Experimental study", Eng. Struct., 64, 23-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.01.028
- Rehman, N., Lam, D., Dai, X. and Ashour, A.F. (2016), "Experimental study on demountable shear connectors in composite slabs with profiled decking", J. Constr. Steel Res., 122, 178-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2016.03.021
- Sun, R., Burgess, I.W., Huang, Z. and Dong, G. (2015), "Progressive failure modelling and ductility demand of steel beam-to-column connections in fire", Eng. Struct., 89, 66-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.01.053
- Thai, H.T., Vo, T.P., Nguyen, T.K. and Pham, C.H. (2017), "Explicit simulation of bolted endplate composite beam-to-CFST column connections", Thin-Wall. Struct., 119, 749-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2017.07.013
- Uy, B., Patel, V., Li, D.X. and Aslani, F. (2017), "Behaviour and design of connections for demountable steel and composite structures", Structures, 9, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2016.06.005
- Walpole, W.R. (1985), "Beam-column joints", Bull. New Zealand Nat. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 18, 369-379.
- Wang, J., Uy, B. and Li, D. (2018a), "Analysis of demountable steel and composite frames with semi-rigid bolted joints", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 28(3), 363-380.
- Wang, J., Uy, B., Thai, H.T. and Li, D. (2018b), "Behaviour and design of demountable beam-to-column composite bolted joints with extended end-plates", J. Constr. Steel Res., 144, 221-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2018.02.002
- Yee, Y.L. and Melchers, R.E. (1986), "Moment-rotation curves for bolted connections", J. Struct Eng., 112(3), 615-635. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:3(615)