- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Behavior of steel-concrete jacketed corrosion-damaged RC columns subjected to eccentric load
- Hu, Jiyue (School of Civil Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Liang, Hongjun (School of Civil Engineering, Wuhan University) ;
- Lu, Yiyan (School of Civil Engineering, Wuhan University)
- Received : 2017.12.03
- Accepted : 2018.12.18
- Published : 2018.12.25
Corrosion of steel reinforcement is a principal cause of deterioration of RC columns. Making these corrosion-damaged columns conform to new safety regulations and functions is a tremendous technological challenge. This study presented an experimental investigation on steel-concrete jacketed corrosion-damaged RC columns. The influences of steel jacket thickness and concrete strength on the enhancement performance of the strengthened specimens were investigated. The results showed that the use of steel-concrete jacketing is efficient since the stub strengthened columns behaved in a more ductile manner. Moreover, the ultimate strength of the corrosion-damaged RC columns is increased by an average of 5.3 times, and the ductility is also significantly improved by the strengthening method. The bearing capacity of the strengthening columns increases with the steel tube thickness increasing, and the strengthening concrete strength has a positive impact on both bearing capacity, whereas a negative influence on the ductility. Subsequently, a numerical model was developed to predict the behavior of the retrofitted columns. The model takes into account corrosion-damage of steel rebar and confining enhancement supplied by the steel tube. Comparative results with the experimental results indicated that the developed numerical model is an effective simulation. Based on extensive verified numerical studies, a design equation was proposed and found to predict well the ultimate eccentric strength of the strengthened columns.
steel-concrete jacketing;corrosion-damage;retrofit;eccentric compression
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Almusallam, A.A. (2001), "Effect of degree of corrosion on the propertites of reinforcing steel bars", Constr. Build. Mater., 15, 361-368.
- Bentiss, F., Mernari, B., Traisnel, M., Vezin, H. and Lagrenee, M. (2011), "On the relationship between corrosion inhibiting effect and molecular structure of 2, 5-bis (n-pyridyl)-1, 3, 4-thiadiazole derivatives in acidic media: Ac impedance and DFT studies", Corros. Sci., 53, 487-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2010.09.063
- Biondini, F. and Vergani, M. (2012), "Damage modeling and nonlinear analysis of concrete bridges under corrosion", In: Sixth International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety Manag (IABMAS 2012), Stresa, Italy, pp. 8-12.
- Cairns, J., Plizzari, G.A., Du, Y.G., Law, D.W. and Franzoni, C. (2005), "Mechanical properties of corrosion-damaged reinforcement", ACI, Struct. J., 102, 256-264.
- Chai, Y.H., Priestley, M.N. and Seible, F. (1991), "Seismic retrofit of circular bridge columns for enhanced flexural performance", ACI Struct. J., 88(5), 572-584.
- Colomb, F., Tobbi, H., Ferrier, E. and Hamelin, P. (2008), "Seismic retrofit of reinforced concrete short columns by CFRP materials", Compos. Struct., 82, 475-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2007.01.028
- Dai, J.G., Bai, Y.L. and Teng, J.G. (2011), "Behavior and modeling of concrete confined with FRP composites of large deformability", J. Compos. Constr., 15, 963-973. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000230
- Dai, J.G., Gao, W.Y. and Teng, J.G. (2015), "Finite Element Modeling of Insulated FRP-Strengthened RC Beams Exposed to Fire", J. Compos. Constr., 19, 428-432.
- Elremaily, A. and Azizinamini, A. (2002), "Behavior and strength of circular concrete-filled tube columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 58, 1567-1591. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(02)00005-6
- Fang, C. and Lundgren, K. (2004), "Corrosion influence on bond in reinforced concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 34(1), 2159-2167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.04.006
- Fang, C. and Lundgren, K. (2006a), "Effect of corrosion on bond in reinforced concrete under cyclic loading", Cement Concrete Res., 36(3), 548-555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.11.019
- Fang, C., Lundgren, K., Plos, M. and Gylltoft, K. (2006b), "Bond behavior of corroded reinforcing steel bars in concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 36(10), 1931-1938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2006.05.008
- Gao, F., Zhu, H.P., Liang, H.J. and Tian, Y. (2017), "Post-fire residual strength of steel tubular T-joint with concrete-filled chord", J. Constr. Steel Res., 139, 327-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.015
- Han, L.H. and Yao, G.H. (2004), "Experimental behavior of thinwalled hollow structural steel (HSS) columns filled with selfconsolidating concrete (SCC)", Thin-Wall. Struct., 42, 1357-1377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2004.03.016
- Han, L.H., Lin, X.K. and Wang, Y.C. (2006), "Cyclic performance of repaired concrete-filled steel tubular columns after exposure to fire", Thin-Wall. Struct., 44(10), 1063-1076. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.10.001
- Han, L.H., Yao, G.H. and Tao, Z. (2007), "Performance of concrete-filled thin-walled steel tubes under pure torsion", Thin-Wall. Struct., 45, 24*36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.01.008
- He, A., Cai, J. and Chen, Q.J. (2016), "Behaviour of steel-jacket retrofitted RC columns with preload effects", Thin-Wall. Struct., 109, 25-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2016.09.013
- He, A., Cai, J., Chen, Q.J., Liu, X.P., Xue, H. and Yu, C.J. (2017), "Axial compressive behaviour of steel-jacket retrofitted RC columns with recycled aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 141, 501-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.03.013
- He, A., Cai, J., Chen, Q.J., Liu, X.P., Xuang, P.Z. and Tang, X.L. (2018), "Seismic behaviour of steel-jacket retrofitted reinforced concrete columns with recycled aggregate concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 158, 624-639. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.10.053
- Holschemacher, K. (2004), "Hardened material properties of selfcompacting concrete", J. Civil Eng. Manag., 10, 261-266. https://doi.org/10.3846/13923730.2004.9636318
- Khan, Q.S., Sheikh, M.N. and Hadi, M.N.S. (2016), "Axial compressive behaviour of circular CFFT: Experimental database and design-oriented model", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(4), 921-947. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.4.921
- Lee, H.S. and Cho, Y.S. (2009), "Evaluation of the mechanical properties of steel reinforcement embedded in concrete specimen as a function of the degree of reinforcement corrosion", Int. J. Fracture, 157, 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10704-009-9334-7
- Li, C.Q. and Melchers, R.E. (2005), "Time-dependent risk assessment of structural deterioration caused by reinforcement corrosion", ACI Struct J., 102, 754-762.
- Li, D.W., Wei, R., Xing, F., Sui, L.L., Zhou, Y.W. and Wang, W.Y. (2018), "Influence of Non-uniform corrosion of steel bars on the seismic behavior of reinforced concrete columns", Constr. Build. Mater., 167, 20-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.01.149
- Liang, Q.Q. (2011), "High strength circular concrete-filled steel tubular slender beam-columns, Part I: Numerical analysis", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67, 164-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.08.006
- Liang, H.J., Li, S., Lu, Y.Y. and Yang, T. (2018), "The combined effects of wet-dry cycles and sustained load on the bond behavior of FRP-concrete interface", Polym. Compos. DOI: doi.org/10.1002/pc.24785 https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.24785
- Liang, H.J., Li, S., Lu, Y.Y. and Hu, J.Y. (2019), "Electrochemical performance of corroded reinforced concrete columns strengthened with fiber reinforced polymer", Compos. Struct., 207, 576-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.09.028
- Lin, P.Z., Zhu, Z.C. and Li, Z.J. (1997), "Fire-resistant structure: the concrete filled steel tubular column", Proceedings of the International Conference on Composite Construction-Conventional and Innovative, pp. 397-401.
- Liu, D.L. (2006), "Behaviour of eccentrically loaded high-strength rectangular concrete-filled steel tubular columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62, 839-846. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.020
- Lu, Y.Y., Liang, H.J., Li, S. and Li, N. (2015a), "Axial behavior of RC columns strengthened with SCC filled square steel tubes", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(3), 623-639. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.3.623
- Lu, Y.Y., Liang, H.J., Li, S. and Li, N. (2015b), "Eccentric strength and design of RC columns strengthened with SCC filled steel tubes", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(4), 833-852. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.4.833
- Lu, Y.Y., Hu, J.Y., Li, S. and Tang, W.S. (2018), "Active and passive protection of steel reinforcement in concrete column using carbon fibre reinforced polymer against corrosion", Electrochimica Acta, 278, 124-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2018.05.037
- Maaddawy, T.A.E. and Soudki, K.A. (2003), "Effectiveness of Impressed Current Technique to Simulate Corrosion of Steel Reinforcement in Concrete", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 15(1), 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2003)15:1(41)
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y. and Verma, R. (1994a), "Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength-part 1: Theoretical considerations and test design", ACI, Struct. J., 91, 394-405.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y. and Verma, R. (1994b), "Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength-part 2: Test results and comparison with Theory", ACI, Struct. J., 91, 537-551.
- Qiao, D., Nakamura, H., Yamamoto, Y. and Miura, T. (2015), "Evaluation Method of Tensile Behavior of Corroded Reinforcing Bars Considering Radius Loss", J. Adv. Concr. Technol., 13, 135-146. https://doi.org/10.3151/jact.13.135
- Rupp, J., Sezen, H. and Chaturvedi, S. (2014), "Axial behavior of steel-jacketed concrete columns", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 16(1), 61-77.
- Sezen, H. and Miller, E.A. (2011), "Experimental evaluation of axial behavior of strengthened circular reinforced-concrete columns", J. Bridge Eng. ASCE, 16, 238-247. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000143
- Smith, J.L. and Virmani, Y.P. (2000), Materials and methods for corrosion control of reinforced and prestressed concrete structures in new construction", Report No. FHWA-RD-0081.
- Tao, Z. and Han, LH. (2007), "Behaviour of fire-exposed concretefilled steel tubular beam columns repaired with CFRP wraps", Thin-Wall. Struct., 45(1), 63-76 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.11.004
- Teng, J.G. and Lam, L. (2004), "Behavior and Modeling of Fiber Reinforced Polymer-Confined Concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 130(11), 1713-1723. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1713)
- Wang, J., Liu, W.Q. and Zhou, D. (2014), "Mechanical behaviour of concrete filled double skin steel tubular stub columns confined by FRP under axial compression", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 17, 431-452. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2014.17.4.431
- Xiao, Y. and Wu, H. (2003), "Strengthening of reinforced concrete columns using partially stiffened steel jackets", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 129, 725-732. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:6(725)
- Yadav, M., Sharma, D. and Kumar, S. (2015), "Thiazole derivatives as efficient corrosion inhibitor for oil-well tubular steel in hydrochloric acid solution", Korean J. Chem. Eng., 32, 993-1000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0275-0
- Zhang, W.P., Song, X.B., Gu, X.L. and Li, S.B. (2012), "Tensile and fatigue behavior of corroded rebar", Constr. Build. Mater., 34(5), 409-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.02.071
- Zhang, F., Lu, Y.Y., Li, S. and Zhang, W.L. (2018), "Eccentrically compressive behaviour of RC square short columns reinforced with a new composite method", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 27(1), 95-108.
- Zhong, S.T. (2003), The Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Structures, (3rd Ed.), Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, China.