- Volume 43 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Heat Treatment on Radiation Shielding Properties of Concretes
- Singh, Vishwanath P. (Department of Physics, Karnatak University) ;
- Tekin, Huseyin O. (Radiotherapy Department, Vocational School of Health Services, Uskudar University) ;
- Badiger, Nagappa M. (Department of Physics, Karnatak University) ;
- Manici, Tubga (Medical Radiation Research Center, Uskudar University) ;
- Altunsoy, Elif E. (Medical Imaging Department, Vocational School of Health Services, Uskudar University)
- Received : 2017.09.22
- Accepted : 2018.01.30
- Published : 2018.03.31
Background: Heat energy produced in nuclear reactors and nuclear fuel cycle facilities interactions modifies the physical properties of the shielding materials containing water content. Therefore, in the present paper, effect of the heat on shielding effectiveness of the concretes is investigated for gamma and neutron. The mass attenuation coefficients, effective atomic numbers, fast neutron removal cross-section and exposure buildup factors. Materials and Methods: The mass attenuation coefficients, effective atomic numbers, fast neutron removal cross-section and exposure buildup factors of ordinary and heavy concretes were investigated using NIST data of XCOM program and Geometric Progression method. Results and Discussion: The improvement in shielding effectiveness for photon and reduction in fast neutron for ordinary concrete was observed. The change in the neutron shielding effectiveness was insignificant. Conclusion: The present investigation on interaction of gamma and neutron radiation would be very useful for assessment of shielding efficiency of the concrete used in high temperature applications such as reactors.
- Bashter II. Calculation of radiation attenuation coefficients for shielding concretes. Ann. Nucl. Energy. 1997;24(17):1389-1401. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4549(97)00003-0
- Singh VP, Ali AM, Badiger NM, El-Khayatt AM. Monte Carlo simulation of gamma ray shielding parameters of concretes. Nucl. Eng. Des. 2013;265:1071-1077.
- Singh VP, Badiger NM. Investigation on radiation shielding parameters of ordinary, heavy and super heavy concretes. Nucl. Technol. Radiat. 2014;29(2):149-156. https://doi.org/10.2298/NTRP1402149S
- Sivathanu PC, Santhakumar AR, Chandrasekaran S, Viswanathan S, Mathiyarasu R, Kumar JA, Preetha R, Venkatraman B. Effect of heat treatment on neutron attenuation characteristics of high density concretes (HDC). Prog. Nucl. Energy. 2016;93:76-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnucene.2016.08.003
- Singh VP, Medhat ME, Badiger NM. Gamma-ray shielding effectiveness of some alloys for fusion reactor design. J. Fusion Energy. 2014;33(5):555-564. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10894-014-9704-7
- Singh VP, Badiger NM. Gamma ray and neutron shielding properties of some alloy materials. Ann. Nucl. Energy. 2014;64:301-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2013.10.003
- Singh VP, Badiger NM. Determination of effective atomic numbers using different methods for some low-Z materials. J. Nucl. Chem. 2014:1-7.
- Tekin HO, Kara U. Monte Carlo simulation for distance and absorbed dose calculations in a PET-CT facility by using MCNP-X. Journal of Communication and Computer. 2016;13:32-35.
- Tekin HO, Singh VP, Kara U, Manici T, Altunsoy EE. Investigation of nanoparticle effect on radiation shielding property using Monte Carlo method. Celal Bayar University Journal of Science. 2016;12(2):195-199.
- Tekin HO, Singh VP, Manici T. An investigation on shielding effect of bismuth on lung CT scan using Monte Carlo simulation. Politeknik Dergisi. 2016;19(4):617-620.
- Tekin HO, Singh VP, Manici T. Effects of micro-sized and nanosized WO3 on mass attenuation coefficients of concrete by using MCNPX code. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 2017;121:122-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2016.12.040
- Tekin HO, Manici T. Simulations of mass attenuation coefficients for shielding materials using the MCNP-X code. Nucl. Sci. Tech. 2017;28(5);95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41365-017-0253-4
- Singh VP, Badiger NM. Photon interaction properties of some semiconductor detectors. J. Ncl. Sci. Tech. 2016;27:72.
- Harima Y. An approximation of gamma buildup factors by modified geometrical progression. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 1983;83(2):299-309. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE83-A18222
- Harima Y, Sakamoto Y, Tank S, Kawai M. Validity of geometric progression formula in approximating gamma ray buildup factor. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 1986;94:24-35. https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE86-A17113
- Harima Y. An historical review and current status of buildup factor calculations and application. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 1993;41(4-5):631-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/0969-806X(93)90317-N
- Kurudirek M, Ozdemir Y. Energy absorption and exposure buildup factors for some polymers and tissue substitute materials: photon energy, penetration depth and chemical composition dependence. J. Radiol. Prot. 2011;31(1):117-128. https://doi.org/10.1088/0952-4746/31/1/008